Reload this Page >

Seeking Advice on where to move to in England

Seeking Advice on where to move to in England

Old Dec 12th 2014, 3:52 am
Just Joined

rtillsley is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Seeking Advice on where to move to in England

Hi all

I am a British Citizen, but have only visited England and never lived there. To mix up things, I plan on moving over for at least a few years with my family. I could really do with some advice on where to live.
I'm a primary school teacher, I have a school age daughter and my wife works for medium to large corporations.

I'd love to find an area that we can really settle into. It needs:
- to be large enough that there are medium to large companies within reasonable travel distance.
- have decent state schools
- not be insanely expensive for rent (Note that I'm used to expensive Sydney prices)

We originally were looking in and around London, but the mix of good schools and affordable rent seems to be in short supply.

Other areas I've considered include Bristol, Oxford, Cambridge and Reading. Do these sound right?

I need to make some decisions very soon, so I'd really appreciate any advice people can offer.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 4:36 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Seeking Advice on where to move to in England

And a couple of other areas that I'm considering:
Chelmsford (I have some relatives in Essex)
Reading (Seems viable travel to London and I've heard there are a lot of corporate offices on the west side of London)
Old Dec 12th 2014, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The most important thing to focus on is where you are going to find a job. Not much point in deciding on best place to live if you are not going to be able to find work there.

As a primary school teacher have you researched into whether there are vacancies which would be applicable to you, will your qualifications be applicable in the UK and most importantly can you sponsor your family for visas if they are not British citizens?

Loads of people will give you all sorts of advice as to nice places to live in the UK (the ones you have mentioned, Bristol, Oxford, Cambridge, Reading, Chelmsford all have decent areas)

However without work no-where is going to be suitable.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your response.

We need to narrow down the areas so that we can sort out jobs. I'll be working with an agency for my teaching position, but I need to be able to give an idea of what areas I want to work in. And to do that I need to work out what sort of places fit the criteria I've metioned. If there are enough companies in the area my wife won't have trouble getting work.

Cheers
Old Dec 12th 2014, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously you'll need to go where the jobs are but if something comes up in Chelmsford you could do a lot worse. I come from there although I moved away a long time ago I have a friend there who is a primary school teacher and when I visit it seems like a reasonable mix for living - train into London but not crazily expensive, town centre updated and quite good, nice countryside around it.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 9:19 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rtillsley
Thank you for your response.

We need to narrow down the areas so that we can sort out jobs. I'll be working with an agency for my teaching position, but I need to be able to give an idea of what areas I want to work in. And to do that I need to work out what sort of places fit the criteria I've metioned. If there are enough companies in the area my wife won't have trouble getting work.

Cheers
Why don't you also take out a subscription for TES, and scour their jobs board? As suggested earlier, this will give you an idea where the jobs are.

Also, I can't quite match your remit for "not insanely expensive rent", but you are thinking of London.

The Midland conurbation is a huge mix of cities, that is much cheaper than London. I'm sure there will be jobs there.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 9:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a few miles away from Reading (near Wokingham - some of the best schools in the country by the way), and my husband commutes in to London (Victoria) every day for work.

Reading itself is godawful IMO, I don't ever go there unless I really have to! But where we are I love as we live in a super village that's very safe and has great community spirit, we're surrounded by beautiful countryside and can be in London easily and quickly.

Shout if you've got any questions about the area and I'll do my best to help.

Old Dec 12th 2014, 10:41 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rtillsley
Hi all

I am a British Citizen, but have only visited England and never lived there. To mix up things, I plan on moving over for at least a few years with my family. I could really do with some advice on where to live.
I'm a primary school teacher, I have a school age daughter and my wife works for medium to large corporations.

I'd love to find an area that we can really settle into. It needs:
- to be large enough that there are medium to large companies within reasonable travel distance.
- have decent state schools
- not be insanely expensive for rent (Note that I'm used to expensive Sydney prices)

We originally were looking in and around London, but the mix of good schools and affordable rent seems to be in short supply.

Other areas I've considered include Bristol, Oxford, Cambridge and Reading. Do these sound right?

I need to make some decisions very soon, so I'd really appreciate any advice people can offer.

Your daughtyer should already be a British citizen as long as you are not a British Citizen by descent, you do not mention the citizenship of your wife, but if she is not a British Citizen then you will need to get a spouse visa for her, read more here.

Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) - British Expats

Given what you say about your wife, it is possible she could get a work visa through her job?
Old Dec 12th 2014, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Stevenage and Peterborough are commutable to London and not expensive for houses. If you want London you could do worse than Crystal Palace, where we live. It has a nice villagey feel and very reasonable prices for London, plus is in zone 3/4.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 9:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I would avoid Reading itself but some of the villages nearby are very nice. Oxford, Cambridge and Bristol are all perfectly pleasant as well.
Old Dec 12th 2014, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dunroving
Why don't you also take out a subscription for TES, and scour their jobs board? As suggested earlier, this will give you an idea where the jobs are.

Also, I can't quite match your remit for "not insanely expensive rent", but you are thinking of London.

The Midland conurbation is a huge mix of cities, that is much cheaper than London. I'm sure there will be jobs there.
Thanks for your suggestions.

I'll check out TES. I've used them for teaching resources before.
Rent wise, I'm looking for less than £1250 a month in rent. I get that much of London is a lot more expensive than that.

Is it colder in the midlands?
Old Dec 12th 2014, 11:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'm a few miles away from Reading (near Wokingham - some of the best schools in the country by the way), and my husband commutes in to London (Victoria) every day for work.

Reading itself is godawful IMO, I don't ever go there unless I really have to! But where we are I love as we live in a super village that's very safe and has great community spirit, we're surrounded by beautiful countryside and can be in London easily and quickly.

Shout if you've got any questions about the area and I'll do my best to help.

What makes Reading so bad?

Do the villages have cafes? I love the idea of beautiful countryside, but I need a few creature comforts like good internet, a cafe and a pub!

Cheers
Old Dec 12th 2014, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Your daughtyer should already be a British citizen as long as you are not a British Citizen by descent, you do not mention the citizenship of your wife, but if she is not a British Citizen then you will need to get a spouse visa for her, read more here.

Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) - British Expats

Given what you say about your wife, it is possible she could get a work visa through her job?
I am by descent. My wife would need to get a job first to get a visa and that will be a pain. It's going to be messy one way or another, but this is thee path we are going to try. Discussed with a migration agent.

Cheers
Old Dec 13th 2014, 12:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Stevenage and Peterborough are commutable to London and not expensive for houses. If you want London you could do worse than Crystal Palace, where we live. It has a nice villagey feel and very reasonable prices for London, plus is in zone 3/4.

Thanks, I'll have a look at the areas. I've heard the south side of London be disparaged a few times. Is there any real difference?

Cheers
Old Dec 13th 2014, 12:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I would avoid Reading itself but some of the villages nearby are very nice. Oxford, Cambridge and Bristol are all perfectly pleasant as well.
That's good to know. Reading seems to be on the nose. May I ask what you don't like about it?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.