Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Return home to be a carer for mum?

Return home to be a carer for mum?

Old Jun 26th 2014, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return home to be a carer for mum?

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
The healthcare exchanges are a bit 'gappy' when it comes to working people who earn a low wage.

A lot of it depends on which state you live in. In states that are participating in Medicaid expansion (and many are not) the new higher income allowances will help people get on Medicaid for no cost.

If you earn too much to qualify for expanded Medicaid, then you go to the exchange for coverage. Some states have more choice for coverage than others. It just depends on the number of insurance companies participating in the exchange (if more companies participate, there is more competition and premiums will be more varied). In my state, there are only two insurers participating. The cheapest coverage is around $350 per month. That's not terribly affordable for a low earner.
Yes. I was sort of thinking that as I wrote it. I think getting older here still looks very unappealing.

Regarding grown sons, mine will call but usually to ask for something, to be honest (a bit like Hyacinth Bucket's on 'Keeping Up Appearances' ) He has his own life already, we are a back-up for him, which is nice to have, but we do have to think of ourselves as well.
Originally Posted by morayeel
thanks so very much for everyones responses. Very helpful. Leaving my daughter and grandchildren would be difficult, but they have their own lives to lead. My husband, well, long story!! he would like to move to the U.K but we don't have the money needed for that. If I decide to go we will remain friends. In the U.S I am struggling to survive and I will struggle in the U.K, but without the worry of affording to see a doctor and pay for my lab work. I have a condition that requires blood work every few months..I am going to decide in 2 more months. We have put or mobile home up for sale. My husband is understanding. He is a good man but understands my heart is torn and he finds it difficult to hold a job! the money from the sale of the mobile home would be funding my dogs to fly over etc.. Once again thanks.. I think it would be hard to leave my grandchildren, especially my 10 year old one. We have such a strong bond, but lives move forward, situations change and in in the long run who can you count on but yourself.
It will not be easy either way. Hope it works out for you.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

I am a dual citizen. I married young. Came to the U.S when I was 19! My daughter has duel citizenship too.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sally. I can't really even be a back up with no money to barely support myself!I can't help my daughter financially even if she needed it.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 2:41 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
I am sitting on this PC, writing in this thread and trying to chat online to my adult son (26) who now lives 180 miles away from me.

He's not really got a lot to say. He's a grown man now with his own life. Hurts some, but I think that's the way nature intended.

I don't believe we can live our lives for other people, even if they are family. We won't be happy that way and we will just end up resentful. Probably better some distance and affection, than so close we are smothered.
^This. And 180 miles is nothing. We'll be leaving two sons here in Canada, both 30+. We left the UK when we were 27 and 25 respectively and expected nothing from either set of parents at that age. I hope and believe that we've done our bit for the kids (rather well I think) and now it's up to them to capitalize on that.

(I just hope neither of them pops a grand-sprog before we leave though, I might have to pry the Mrs. out of here with a crowbar then).
Old Jun 26th 2014, 3:30 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
^This. And 180 miles is nothing. We'll be leaving two sons here in Canada, both 30+. We left the UK when we were 27 and 25 respectively and expected nothing from either set of parents at that age. I hope and believe that we've done our bit for the kids (rather well I think) and now it's up to them to capitalize on that.

(I just hope neither of them pops a grand-sprog before we leave though, I might have to pry the Mrs. out of here with a crowbar then).
My goal likewise. Get the heck out of here before there are grandbabies!!
Old Jun 26th 2014, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks so very much for everyones responses. Very helpful. Leaving my daughter and grandchildren would be difficult, but they have their own lives to lead. My husband, well, long story!! he would like to move to the U.K but we don't have the money needed for that. If I decide to go we will remain friends. In the U.S I am struggling to survive and I will struggle in the U.K, but without the worry of affording to see a doctor and pay for my lab work. I have a condition that requires blood work every few months..I am going to decide in 2 more months. We have put or mobile home up for sale. My husband is understanding. He is a good man but understands my heart is torn and he finds it difficult to hold a job! the money from the sale of the mobile home would be funding my dogs to fly over etc.. Once again thanks.. I think it would be hard to leave my grandchildren, especially my 10 year old one. We have such a strong bond, but lives move forward, situations change and in in the long run who can you count on but yourself.
Hi,
I left my 19year old daughter in New Zealand. We all wanted to leave but she didn't want to leave her boyfriend. I talk to her everyday, she messages to say she's gone out, when she's back, who she's with etc. Obviously its not the same but at the moment its the best we can do.
It can work. Good Luck
Old Jun 26th 2014, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Old Jun 26th 2014, 9:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. It's what we are doing at the mo but we are self sufficient financially. We have son and 2 granddaughters in Aus also one son and soon to arrive grandson here in UK. Going to be split no matter what. Is it easy? Sort of but I'm not enmeshed with the grand kids. I dislike Skype and the kids aren't that enamoured either but we have occasional contact. Being a carer is no picnic either unfortunately and you may resent your loss of independence.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I know that being a carer is not going to be easy.. I can only imagine though cause I have not been one before. I did go back on two occasions to help my mum after hip surgery and shoulder surgery. It was tiring but I enjoyed it. I couldn't live with her though!! she can be very demanding so I would help her with her shower, clean her house tend to the small back garden etc. I like the U.S but I cannot make it here financially. My car is about to break down so only using it the past few months for work and that's about it. I like Skype (without the camera part LOL) my family and I use it a lot. My daughter here is grown and she is encouraging me to go. She doesnt' want rid of me, but thinks I will be better off in the U.K, at least medically..
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 10:53 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

If your husband is willing to to go to the UK it does sound as though you would be in no/not much worse financial position by moving back. However, do bear in mind that there is now a 3 month residency requirement prior to claim many benefits, and the applies to full UK citizens as well. On the emotional side, only you can tell, but a move back to care for your mother does not necessarily need to be permanent (if you miss US family too). Also, if you have dogs and belongings, consider taking the QE2 over, I had a friend in that situation who found that was the best method.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 5:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
If your husband is willing to to go to the UK it does sound as though you would be in no/not much worse financial position by moving back. However, do bear in mind that there is now a 3 month residency requirement prior to claim many benefits, and the applies to full UK citizens as well. On the emotional side, only you can tell, but a move back to care for your mother does not necessarily need to be permanent (if you miss US family too). Also, if you have dogs and belongings, consider taking the QE2 over, I had a friend in that situation who found that was the best method.
The kennels on the QM2 tend to be booked up a year in advance. Although at least one of our members managed to get a cancellation.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the information about the dogs. I think I am going to go ahead and find accommodation that takes dogs. I have been e mailing some landlords about this. Then my husband can take the dogs and ship them to Glasgow. From the little I have read so far they cant fly out of Gulfport MS but it has to be New Orleans. I have been so busy with work and babysitting I have been too busy to do much research but I have cut down on my babysitting to twice a week and so will just have my evening job so will have more time now, whew! I understand about the 3 months habital residency requirement. I will have enough money saved for deposit etc and my mums social worker has explained that I should get housing benefit and 61.oo pounds per week to look after her. I know I am going to miss much about America, mostly my grandson but we have arranged to Skype. My husband said maybe he could come thru Ireland eventually. That remains to be seen.. At the moment with him not working and being in my mind selfish its time for me to look after myself and here with my jobs and car falling apart and my medical its just not feasible.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Hi don't want to be a dampener on your posting but how are you going to survive on £61/pounds a week? There also may be a long waiting list for housing as you won't be on top of the list so to speak. I would live with your mother in the interim and leave your dogs behind with husband until you are sure it is what you want to do and can finance yourself in your own place. Would you be also allowed to do another part time job to make extra money while getting the carer's fee? No good arriving in UK to find that your situation is no better and then have no children either!
Old Jul 4th 2014, 3:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the information about the dogs. I think I am going to go ahead and find accommodation that takes dogs. I have been e mailing some landlords about this. Then my husband can take the dogs and ship them to Glasgow. From the little I have read so far they cant fly out of Gulfport MS but it has to be New Orleans. I have been so busy with work and babysitting I have been too busy to do much research but I have cut down on my babysitting to twice a week and so will just have my evening job so will have more time now, whew! I understand about the 3 months habital residency requirement. I will have enough money saved for deposit etc and my mums social worker has explained that I should get housing benefit and 61.oo pounds per week to look after her. I know I am going to miss much about America, mostly my grandson but we have arranged to Skype. My husband said maybe he could come thru Ireland eventually. That remains to be seen.. At the moment with him not working and being in my mind selfish its time for me to look after myself and here with my jobs and car falling apart and my medical its just not feasible.
Hi morayeel. Life's a bit crap for you at the moment and for what it's worth, I think a change of scenery would do you the world of good. Not just 'scenery' of course, but a life in which you don't have the constant stress of worrying if your car will last the distance, the cost of your lab work, working two jobs.

If you add that to the fact that your relationship with your husband isn't giving you a lot of joy at the moment, and that your Mum needs some help, it sounds as though some time in the UK would be a good move. It's great that your husband is so understanding, that makes things a lot easier!

As others have said, it doesn't necessarily have to be a permanent move, it's great that you have dual citizenship and the choices that go with that.

Of course you'll miss your daughter and grandkids, but as you said, they have their own lives and you will stay in touch.

I'm quite excited for you! Best of luck with the planning and remember - you have a right to be happy.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 3:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Hi don't want to be a dampener on your posting but how are you going to survive on £61/pounds a week? There also may be a long waiting list for housing as you won't be on top of the list so to speak. I would live with your mother in the interim and leave your dogs behind with husband until you are sure it is what you want to do and can finance yourself in your own place. Would you be also allowed to do another part time job to make extra money while getting the carer's fee? No good arriving in UK to find that your situation is no better and then have no children either!
Stop being so sensible!

I thought (probably wrongly!) that morayeel would have another source of income to supplement the allowance for caring for her Mum. If not then yes, 61 pounds a week probably won't cut it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.