Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Reload this Page driest and warmest city in England?

Reload this Page driest and warmest city in England?

Old May 31st 2015, 1:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reload this Page driest and warmest city in England?

Originally Posted by tigerbolt
We would save up money before we moved to England of course I do like cities since there is normally more to do, but not over populated like L.A., Paris, or San Fransisco. ....
Like I said, SoCal is just too expensive even with 2 incomes and we wouldn't be able to survive there. .....
Given that the UK is, as a country, a fairly expensive place to live, especially anywhere that is commutable to (within 100+ miles of) London, and pretty over crowded in all the areas where you are likely to be able to find a job, and that generally the UK is cool/ mild and damp, not dry and hot, I don't see how a move to the UK is going to be attractive for you. The only redeeming factor for you is that the UK is English speaking.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Even better is I heard England winters are more mild than the Netherlands which makes me happy.
Oh dear This last winter in NL was the mildest I've known in my 8 years here (in the Randstad we had less snow than most of the UK), but I guarantee that winter in the UK is wetter than in NL - the whole year around! Whether it comes down as rain, drizzle, sleet, hail or snow, it just keeps coming. The Netherlands can get varied weather but it comes in more distinct blocks, whereas you can get 4 seasons in one day in the UK (particularly on the west coast). The Atlantic dumps it's worst stuff on the UK and Ireland, it's relatively dry here in comparison.

But, I guess it is milder: when it's cloudy and overcast all winter, it has less chance to get that penetrating cold that comes with clear night winter skies.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
Oh dear This last winter in NL was the mildest I've known in my 8 years here (in the Randstad we had less snow than most of the UK), but I guarantee that winter in the UK is wetter than in NL - the whole year around! Whether it comes down as rain, drizzle, sleet, hail or snow, it just keeps coming. The Netherlands can get varied weather but it comes in more distinct blocks, whereas you can get 4 seasons in one day in the UK (particularly on the west coast). The Atlantic dumps it's worst stuff on the UK and Ireland, it's relatively dry here in comparison.

But, I guess it is milder: when it's cloudy and overcast all winter, it has less chance to get that penetrating cold that comes with clear night winter skies.
You can't say that winter in the UK is wetter than Netherlands and again depends where you are. Amsterdam is actually even wetter than Dublin but it does get hotter in summer.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 7:37 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Those that live in areas that have days & weeks of 'dark, wet, damp, dreary, dull, overcast' periods in winter over a minus -20C clear blue sky - I know which one I would take.... just saying.

Easier to get warm when its a dry winter versus the continuous dampness, which seems too me will end up making folks miserable.

Time to stoke the fire & dry out the damp linens before heading off to the warm places of Southern Europe or Southern California