Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Leaving California for England after 16 years

Leaving California for England after 16 years

Old Jul 31st 2019, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

essexnick has a spectacular aura aboutessexnick has a spectacular aura aboutessexnick has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Leaving California for England after 16 years

Originally Posted by civilservant
Have you considered moving to another state rather than leaving all together? There's another 49 out there to choose from and in most of them your money will go a lot further.
I have yes. But all the other 49 don't give me my family, good vacation allowance, free healthcare and most of all is I will still be alone.
Don't get me wrong. I am ok being alone. I have done it for the last 4 years since my divorce. But that can only get you so far. Sharing my life with my family and friends and having the time to do it is what is important to me. More important than making money, having a big home or the weather.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

essexnick has a spectacular aura aboutessexnick has a spectacular aura aboutessexnick has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sherbert
Except that popping to Spain takes 2 hours and costs pennies and 'popping to Florida' costs several hundred dollars and takes 6 hours direct + 3 hours of time difference so basically you either take the red eye and get there completely f-ed or you lose an entire day. There's no 'popping' to Puerto Rico either, since there are no direct flights from any of the Bay Area airports and the last time I went, my flight cost over $800 (cattle class) and took me 12 hours. It's often cheaper to fly to UK/Europe on the low cost airlines than it is to get to the east coast. And of course there's actually getting to the airport. OP lives in Sonoma county. It would take him at least 2.5 hours to get to SFO on a good day, 2 to OAK. The distances here are huge and the traffic abysmal so getting anywhere takes forever. Sonoma County to Yosemite? 5 hours one way with no traffic. Pop down to LA? Anywhere from 6 -9 hours depending on the traffic. Fancy a trip to Portland, Oregon? That's an 11 hour drive one way. Not exactly a weekend trip. I've done that drive in one day and it killed me. I live 12 miles from the coast: takes me at least an hour unless I go at 8-9pm.

Sure, but you do not understand Bay Area prices and the cost of living in California in general. I pay well over $3k a month for a 2 bed/one bath and that's a good deal.

Unlimited time off is very common in Silicon Valley. However, it's a bot of con. Unlimited does not mean unlimited. Your manager has to approve all your time off and your holidays are at the discretion of your manager. At least with a designated amount of time off you are entitled to it.
You are totally correct my friend. I've lived here 16 years and have experienced it all. Coming to America and living in California was totally awesome. But the honeymoon is over and you have to look at the reality of what your getting out of life and the quality of it.
You really can't 'pop' anywhere for a weekend break that doesn't involve long hours of driving\flying and expensive accommodations. And when you do, well you have to plan it wisely with your small vacation allowance.

The last decent sunny trip I took was to Maui, Hawaii almost 2 years ago. 4.5 hours fligh.t I went for 1 week. Flights, accommodation and car rental cost me $3,000 USD

Last edited by essexnick; Jul 31st 2019 at 6:34 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

Evenstar120 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by essexnick
I have yes. But all the other 49 don't give me my family, good vacation allowance, free healthcare and most of all is I will still be alone.
Don't get me wrong. I am ok being alone. I have done it for the last 4 years since my divorce. But that can only get you so far. Sharing my life with my family and friends and having the time to do it is what is important to me. More important than making money, having a big home or the weather.
I absolutely understand that feeling Essex. If having your family and friends close to you and having free healthcare and good annual leave is what you need then moving back to the UK might be your next step. Are you able to take any paid holiday to come back to the UK on a one week or two week trip to start laying groundwork and looking for a place to live etc. It might give you a fresh start and a chance to reevaluate what you want out of life.

Last edited by Evenstar120; Jul 31st 2019 at 8:43 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

The UK offers advantages in terms of quality of life in terms of vacation time, affordable places to go, free health care, generally a variety of many food products typically not easy to find in the US. Sure one gets less in terms of housing, on average seems lower opportunities financially, and poor weather.

The US is a big country and certainly living in the high cost Bay Area, with difficult commutes, probably not overall the best place though weather is great. It seems even the average job in UK can easily be 4 to 5 weeks vacation, 37 1/2 hours a week- and the work environment certainly seems much easier than in the US in terms of pressure and stress.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Except that popping to Spain takes 2 hours and costs pennies and 'popping to Florida' costs several hundred dollars and takes 6 hours direct + 3 hours of time difference so basically you either take the red eye and get there completely f-ed or you lose an entire day. There's no 'popping' to Puerto Rico either, since there are no direct flights from any of the Bay Area airports and the last time I went, my flight cost over $800 (cattle class) and took me 12 hours. It's often cheaper to fly to UK/Europe on the low cost airlines than it is to get to the east coast. And of course there's actually getting to the airport. OP lives in Sonoma county. It would take him at least 2.5 hours to get to SFO on a good day, 2 to OAK. The distances here are huge and the traffic abysmal so getting anywhere takes forever. Sonoma County to Yosemite? 5 hours one way with no traffic. Pop down to LA? Anywhere from 6 -9 hours depending on the traffic. Fancy a trip to Portland, Oregon? That's an 11 hour drive one way. Not exactly a weekend trip. I've done that drive in one day and it killed me. I live 12 miles from the coast: takes me at least an hour unless I go at 8-9pm.

Sure, but you do not understand Bay Area prices and the cost of living in California in general. I pay well over $3k a month for a 2 bed/one bath and that's a good deal.

Unlimited time off is very common in Silicon Valley. However, it's a bot of con. Unlimited does not mean unlimited. Your manager has to approve all your time off and your holidays are at the discretion of your manager. At least with a designated amount of time off you are entitled to it.
Good point about travel costs ! One can fly from UK , flights or with hotel, to Europe a lot less than trips with in the USA. Taking a three day trip to Paris or Rome, or a week in Spain or Cyprus is often very affordable and less time than going to Puerto Rico or Florida. California has some beautiful parts, but the cost of living is insane and less time to enjoy.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

I was basing my Utopia on living in Georgia, not California!
Old Aug 1st 2019, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Good point about travel costs ! One can fly from UK , flights or with hotel, to Europe a lot less than trips with in the USA. Taking a three day trip to Paris or Rome, or a week in Spain or Cyprus is often very affordable and less time than going to Puerto Rico or Florida. California has some beautiful parts, but the cost of living is insane and less time to enjoy.
California is indeed beautiful but getting around is hard - after a while you've seen everything in a three hour radius. The cost of hotels is very high and at the coast and in some of the more popular natural wonders (Yosemite, Tahoe etc) the supply is too low to meet demand. Anything in the Bay Area, including flights, has a premium attached. Want to go camping to save money? That's $50 a night for a patch of grass and a portapotty.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Turlogirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Essex,
I'm also enjoying the sunlife in LA... and I'm with you, you can't base life on sun, palm trees and beautiful houses. Waiting til Brexit waters clear then I think I'm for seeing my family, reengaging with friends and being able to have a life beyond my work base that isn't all my annual leave being sucked up visiting home, and popping to Paris on the Eurostar for a weekend. Just because I can. Yes, there's rain and grey but there is also theatre, and great pubs and good food that isn't either burgers or salad. 16 years is a long time but sounds like you haven't put down roots in Sonoma...maybe cos you were always planning to go home...
Old Sep 5th 2019, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

GrantW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Essex,
I left California for the UK in April, after 37 years living and working in the Bay Area. It was more a decision of the heart not the head. Every time I came back to the UK to visit it felt like coming home, and returning was just ‘well this is where I live’. I had close family in both places, but more friends here. I love to hike, and the UK is much more hiker and dog friendly. Have had a lot of raised eyebrows when people here find out I left there - their attitude seems to be California is heaven, why ever would you want to leave, although being British they’re usually too polite to ask! But I felt like you do - prices crazy, lack of green, risk of medical bankruptcy, gun madness, Drumpf and his supporters, etc etc, and when my job disappeared and my house started to fall apart I knew it was time.
Rather than regret, my overwhelming feeling has been relief! Yes it rains a bit and is generally colder, yes there’s Boris and Brexit, but hiking and swimming on Dartmoor, sitting in a proper pub chatting to locals, attending the local country shows, seeing the green vistas across Devon, free healthcare - all makes me realise how right I was to follow my heart.
Just had an offer accepted on a thatched cottage in the countryside and couldn’t be happier! Good luck to you with your decision, I hope you make the right one for you. Cheers!
Old Sep 5th 2019, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if those living in CA (and more specifically those of us in NorCal/Bay Area) are more jaded with/critical of US life than those in other states? Everyone I talk to around here has an exit plan, including myself, whether that be to another state or another country. The extreme cost of living has to be a factor, as does the traffic, the flooding/fire/earthquake threat and the relative isolation (it's a huge investment in both money and time to get back home, or to get anywhere really).

Because no one would ever move to the Bay Area 'because it's nice', everyone is here for work, and boy do they work all.the.time, and everyone is plotting their escape so it's hard to meet people and develop meaningful connections as everyone has one foot out of the door already.

When I tell people that I live in the Bay Area they start gushing about how uh-mazing San Francisco is and I always say, when was the last time you were there.... because if I *never* have to go into the city again I would not care one iota. Whatever magic and charm it had, it's not there anymore. It's just a terrible display of human misery and inequality and tech bro madness.
Old Sep 5th 2019, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

When I tell people that I live in the Bay Area they start gushing about how uh-mazing San Francisco is and I always say, when was the last time you were there.... because if I *never* have to go into the city again I would not care one iota. Whatever magic and charm it had, it's not there anymore. It's just a terrible display of human misery and inequality and tech bro madness.
I very much enjoy visiting San Francisco, but I'm only ever there for work when someone else is picking up the tab.

You couldn't pay me enough - literally - to actually live there, considering the wonderful life I'd be giving up here in Texas.

Old Sep 7th 2019, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if those living in CA (and more specifically those of us in NorCal/Bay Area) are more jaded with/critical of US life than those in other states? Everyone I talk to around here has an exit plan, including myself, whether that be to another state or another country. The extreme cost of living has to be a factor, as does the traffic, the flooding/fire/earthquake threat and the relative isolation (it's a huge investment in both money and time to get back home, or to get anywhere really).

Because no one would ever move to the Bay Area 'because it's nice', everyone is here for work, and boy do they work all.the.time, and everyone is plotting their escape so it's hard to meet people and develop meaningful connections as everyone has one foot out of the door already.

Thi struck a chord we me. So very true. I have long felt that about the Bay area and the other end of the State. I too have an exit plan.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

HeyJoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Leaving California for England after 16 years

I guess I am writing this post because I need to write out my thoughts. Also, to know if anyone is or was in a similar situation.

Long story short, I moved to California 16 years ago from Essex, England to marry an American. We got divorced 4 years ago. No kids. Just 1 dog that I have now. I also have my US Passport and UK Passport.
Financially I have a nice little bit of savings and could move back to England and afford to not work for say 2 years. Obviously i'll want to work as soon as possible.

I live in Sonoma County(about 1 hr north of San Francisco) and its very beautiful part of America. But here is a list of my issues living here:
  • It's very very very expensive to buy or rent
  • Groceries are expensive compared to England. $4 for a loaf of bread? Seriously?
  • Going on holiday is expensive to book a hotel or fly.
    I am amazed of the cheap deals my dad and brother get to go to Spain, Canaries, Greece etc
  • I don't see how I can retire here. I would have to live in another state.
  • Dating in general is tough at 43. Most people have kids, or don't know what they want or are just too busy. Many people in the bay area have two jobs to make it work. Which is madness.
  • Earthquakes, fires and floods
  • Underlying tension of the gun culture plays on my mind when going to live events. See today's news about a shooting at a Garlic Festival in Gilroy, CA.
  • I have no family here
  • The friends I have are too busy working or house projects or kids etc
  • Healthcare is not free and costs per co pay etc
  • I am sick of the attitude towards earning sick days
  • I get 15 days vacation which is considered good in America.
    My brother just got a new job in London that gives you 30 days + 8 Bank Holiday. My American friend just moved to London and now gets 28 days holiday pay.
    This seriously is my biggest gripe with America. It's all work an hardly any play. Corporate slavery.
    No wonder so many Americans are seeing therapists or on some kind of medication just to keep going here. They work you to the bone.
But, but..... I do like going to the beach every weekend with my dog and the weather is nice. But, I am suffering from loneliness and I am mentally and physically burned out from working all the time. And I don't see how I can sustain this as I get older.

Has anyone gone through this argument in their head before deciding to leave? Did you leave and now find life better in the UK.? Do you feel the same if you live in America still?
I know I have to give up certain things by moving back to England. But, I know I will gain other things in my life like my family, friends, life\work balance and that is important to my health.
I see 2 things bothering you:
1. First one is the one that bothers all of us these days. To survive, one needs 2 jobs, one will never repay his mortgage. Our parents repaid it in 10 years, our grandparents in 3. We can't repay a car in 3 years. Today, young men in their 30s still live with their parents. The ones that get married, 40-50% end up divorced. 20% end up childless. Every third death in UK is cancer caused and there is no cure for common folks etc.

2. Loneliness. Find a nice lady and kick-off your new project. My best project is my marriage and my kids.

PS: All big cities are alike. If you think London is much different, you are just fooling yourself. Google up nationality map of London online and you'll notice that only 40% of people living in central London are British. Out of those 40% at least half are naturalized immigrants. That'll tell you a nice story about escaping the big city. Those naturalized immigrants will also escape sooner or later, so it's like a big game of "Blind man's buff" only it's played in overcrowded space and everybody is the blind man. The ones who get tired and decide to take the blind of, escape the city. The ones that don't stay there and until the next round.
So your problem could actually be the big city, hence, just move away.

Old Sep 12th 2019, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HeyJoe
20% end up childless
For some of us that's actually the goal, rather than some dreaded outcome that we will "end up" with.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 1:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The percentage varies with educational achievement which has some potentially interesting long term consequences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.