Reload this Page >

Just back! Help with Car Insurance please

Just back! Help with Car Insurance please

Old Aug 13th 2019, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Gypsy888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just back! Help with Car Insurance please

Arrived back yesterday, sad to leave kiwi hubby and pets back in nz
staying with brother and wife in Morecambe until Friday.
Have to buy car as I start work in Yorkshire next week!
Foreign licence etc making insurance quotes very high! Help.
I've been driving 40 years with no accidents etc
Any advice much appreciated thank you.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 12:52 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Just back! Help with Car Insurance please

Originally Posted by Gypsy888
Arrived back yesterday, sad to leave kiwi hubby and pets back in nz
staying with brother and wife in Morecambe until Friday.
Have to buy car as I start work in Yorkshire next week!
Foreign licence etc making insurance quotes very high! Help.
I've been driving 40 years with no accidents etc
Any advice much appreciated thank you.
Some other returnees have said on the boards here that they have had success with Aviva and the NFU (National Farmers Union - no you don’t need to be a farmer!). Probably best to phone them if possible rather than going online. Do you have proof of your clean driving record/no accidents - they will want to see it to give you No Claims Discounts.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on....and congratulations on your new job!
Old Aug 15th 2019, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just back! Help with Car Insurance please

Have you tried using one of these sites? https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/ …… https://www.moneysupermarket.com/sho.../#?new-journey
Old Aug 15th 2019, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

I got back on Sunday, bought a car Monday and just got insurance by calling them and telling them my situation. It seems that by having driven here before I left and learning in the uk I was classed as a normal resident.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoexr
I got back on Sunday, bought a car Monday and just got insurance by calling them and telling them my situation. It seems that by having driven here before I left and learning in the uk I was classed as a normal resident.
Excellent news, well done.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 7:46 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
There are a number of the top companies that are NOT quoted by the comparison site, LV and Direct line being two, and they often offer better rates.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
There are a number of the top companies that are NOT quoted by the comparison site, LV and Direct line being two, and they often offer better rates.
Strange! .. I'm with LV and got it through a comparison site.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 10:14 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Strange! .. I'm with LV and got it through a comparison site.
OK not LV, but there are a number, and it's worth looking at them as well.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

In the end I went with "Admiral" , thank you everyone for your advice
Old Sep 17th 2019, 12:27 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You can exchange your New Zealand licence for a GB licence.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

BritInParis
Oh! I thought I had to have been here 12 months before applying for a uk licence! Thank you!
Old Sep 17th 2019, 12:51 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

BritInParis
Oh! I thought I had to have been here 12 months before applying for a uk licence! Thank you!
Nope. Just pick up Form D1 from the Post Office. NB: You’ll be restricted to automatic vehicles unless you can provide evidence you passed your test in a manual car.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Nope. Just pick up Form D1 from the Post Office. NB: You’ll be restricted to automatic vehicles unless you can provide evidence you passed your test in a manual car.
There's ALWAYS a catch. In 40 years of driving, I've never owned an automatic car Typical. You would not believe how many issues like this I've had to deal with over the last 4 weeks, most involving things like losing jobs/having difficulty renting accommodation! ... I'm starting to feel like someone's having a laugh at me or I'm on Candid Camera!
Old Sep 17th 2019, 3:41 pm

There's ALWAYS a catch. In 40 years of driving, I've never owned an automatic car Typical. You would not believe how many issues like this I've had to deal with over the last 4 weeks, most involving things like losing jobs/having difficulty renting accommodation! ... I'm starting to feel like someone's having a laugh at me or I'm on Candid Camera!
You’ll need to get something in writing from the NZTA. If not you’ll need to pass a UK driving test. I believe we’ve covered this problem before. There should be a thread on the subject.