British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Just back! Help with Car Insurance please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/just-back-help-car-insurance-please-927183/)

Gypsy888 Aug 13th 2019 8:31 am

Just back! Help with Car Insurance please

Arrived back yesterday, sad to leave kiwi hubby and pets back in nz :(
staying with brother and wife in Morecambe until Friday.
Have to buy car as I start work in Yorkshire next week!
Foreign licence etc making insurance quotes very high! Help.
I've been driving 40 years with no accidents etc
Any advice much appreciated thank you.

Englishmum Aug 15th 2019 12:52 pm

Re: Just back! Help with Car Insurance please

Originally Posted by Gypsy888 (Post 12722453)
Arrived back yesterday, sad to leave kiwi hubby and pets back in nz :(
staying with brother and wife in Morecambe until Friday.
Have to buy car as I start work in Yorkshire next week!
Foreign licence etc making insurance quotes very high! Help.
I've been driving 40 years with no accidents etc
Any advice much appreciated thank you.

Some other returnees have said on the boards here that they have had success with Aviva and the NFU (National Farmers Union - no you don’t need to be a farmer!). Probably best to phone them if possible rather than going online. Do you have proof of your clean driving record/no accidents - they will want to see it to give you No Claims Discounts.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on....and congratulations on your new job!

Robbie2010 Aug 15th 2019 4:32 pm

Have you tried using one of these sites? https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/ …… https://www.moneysupermarket.com/sho.../#?new-journey

zoexr Aug 15th 2019 7:04 pm

I got back on Sunday, bought a car Monday and just got insurance by calling them and telling them my situation. It seems that by having driven here before I left and learning in the uk I was classed as a normal resident.

durham_lad Aug 15th 2019 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by zoexr (Post 12723423)
I got back on Sunday, bought a car Monday and just got insurance by calling them and telling them my situation. It seems that by having driven here before I left and learning in the uk I was classed as a normal resident.

Excellent news, well done.

mikelincs Aug 15th 2019 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 12723366)

There are a number of the top companies that are NOT quoted by the comparison site, LV and Direct line being two, and they often offer better rates.

Robbie2010 Aug 16th 2019 10:05 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12723442)
There are a number of the top companies that are NOT quoted by the comparison site, LV and Direct line being two, and they often offer better rates.

Strange! .. I'm with LV and got it through a comparison site.

mikelincs Aug 16th 2019 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 12723623)
Strange! .. I'm with LV and got it through a comparison site.

OK not LV, but there are a number, and it's worth looking at them as well.

Gypsy888 Sep 16th 2019 9:07 pm

In the end I went with "Admiral" , thank you everyone for your advice :thumbsup:

BritInParis Sep 17th 2019 12:27 am

You can exchange your New Zealand licence for a GB licence.

Gypsy888 Sep 17th 2019 12:36 am

BritInParis
Oh! I thought I had to have been here 12 months before applying for a uk licence! Thank you! :amen:

BritInParis Sep 17th 2019 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Gypsy888 (Post 12736301)
BritInParis
Oh! I thought I had to have been here 12 months before applying for a uk licence! Thank you! :amen:

Nope. Just pick up Form D1 from the Post Office. NB: You’ll be restricted to automatic vehicles unless you can provide evidence you passed your test in a manual car.

Gypsy888 Sep 17th 2019 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12736303)
Nope. Just pick up Form D1 from the Post Office. NB: You’ll be restricted to automatic vehicles unless you can provide evidence you passed your test in a manual car.

There's ALWAYS a catch. In 40 years of driving, I've never owned an automatic car :D Typical. You would not believe how many issues like this I've had to deal with over the last 4 weeks, most involving things like losing jobs/having difficulty renting accommodation! ... I'm starting to feel like someone's having a laugh at me or I'm on Candid Camera!

BritInParis Sep 17th 2019 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Gypsy888 (Post 12736466)
There's ALWAYS a catch. In 40 years of driving, I've never owned an automatic car :D Typical. You would not believe how many issues like this I've had to deal with over the last 4 weeks, most involving things like losing jobs/having difficulty renting accommodation! ... I'm starting to feel like someone's having a laugh at me or I'm on Candid Camera!

You’ll need to get something in writing from the NZTA. If not you’ll need to pass a UK driving test. I believe we’ve covered this problem before. There should be a thread on the subject.