Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

"I'm coming home....I've done my time"

"I'm coming home....I've done my time"

Old Jan 29th 2015, 10:20 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "I'm coming home....I've done my time"

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yup, we are similar. Sorry to hear your youngest isn't settling.

If we went back my depression would be a big problem again.

My friends here have all got kids and even grandkids in easy striking distance.

Just have to think that worse things happen at sea, on a global scale there is so much suffering mine really is a first world problem.
Thanks Sally.
Life seems crap sometimes, but you are right, it's not the worse thing that can happen. Flights are relatively cheap these days and travel is easier. Socal media also makes it so easy to keep in touch. I am sure we will get through this.

It is nice is families remain close, but more often than not, family members do move away and that is life. We all have our own lives to lead and we shouldn't hold our kids back.
I will keep trying to tell myself that in difficult times!
Old Jan 29th 2015, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Thanks Sally.
Life seems crap sometimes, but you are right, it's not the worse thing that can happen. Flights are relatively cheap these days and travel is easier. Socal media also makes it so easy to keep in touch. I am sure we will get through this.

It is nice is families remain close, but more often than not, family members do move away and that is life. We all have our own lives to lead and we shouldn't hold our kids back.
I will keep trying to tell myself that in difficult times!
We are going over in June for son's graduation and flights don't look cheap

My daughter wants to go back every break and has so far earned £75 minus bus fares to put towards it

I think Brits have some additional worries because US and Canada are a bit harsher if things go wrong. But yeah, it's their lives, I want what's best for them.

Once again apologies for the hi-jack but Grayling can view it as mental health cases intruding
Old Jan 29th 2015, 10:38 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the good wishes.

This process is more difficult than I thought it would be.

I can fully understand the concerns about children etc....when we moved here 6 years ago we had one son here and one in UK.....both grown up and had left home years ago.
We came with a view to having a few years somewhere new and then to return.

However, now we have 4 grandchildren and both ourselves and our relatives are several years older. Wherever we live we will miss seeing some of our grandchildren.

We have also had a few health issues which has made the travelling a lot more difficult than it used to be and also it gets more difficult to make changes as you get older.

Migration is for the young and if we were 20 years younger then things would look very different.

Fortunately we no longer have to work so are able to live where we like and to spend time away when we want.

Maybe one day we will come back but, for now, there are a lot of people we want to catch up with and things we want to do....now we just have to get everything organised
Old Jan 29th 2015, 12:09 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

We are going over in June for son's graduation and flights don't look cheap

My daughter wants to go back every break and has so far earned £75 minus bus fares to put towards it

I think Brits have some additional worries because US and Canada are a bit harsher if things go wrong. But yeah, it's their lives, I want what's best for them.

Once again apologies for the hi-jack but Grayling can view it as mental health cases intruding

Speak for yourself

Go back every break?...wow...hope she has a way of making lots of money...and fast!

Originally Posted by Grayling
Thanks for all the good wishes.

This process is more difficult than I thought it would be.

I can fully understand the concerns about children etc....when we moved here 6 years ago we had one son here and one in UK.....both grown up and had left home years ago.
We came with a view to having a few years somewhere new and then to return.

However, now we have 4 grandchildren and both ourselves and our relatives are several years older. Wherever we live we will miss seeing some of our grandchildren.

We have also had a few health issues which has made the travelling a lot more difficult than it used to be and also it gets more difficult to make changes as you get older.

Migration is for the young and if we were 20 years younger then things would look very different.

Fortunately we no longer have to work so are able to live where we like and to spend time away when we want.

Maybe one day we will come back but, for now, there are a lot of people we want to catch up with and things we want to do....now we just have to get everything organised
Kids...grandkids...I guess we'll have to miss out on all of it because I don't think in all honesty I can return to Canada to live...even for grandkids. But, hopefully (), that's a few years off for me yet, so we'll see.

Hope your health holds out for you to be able to travel a lot more yet Grayling. Good luck getting organised, and getting home!
Old Jan 29th 2015, 12:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, we are similar. Sorry to hear your youngest isn't settling.

If we went back my depression would be a big problem again.

My friends here have all got kids and even grandkids in easy striking distance.

Just have to think that worse things happen at sea, on a global scale there is so much suffering mine really is a first world problem.
I had hoped your daughter would find a nice English guy and settle down.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I had hoped your daughter would find a nice English guy and settle down.
Ain't no mountain high enough
Old Jan 30th 2015, 12:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose we did the same to our families albeit short term for some of us. OH lived in England for 10 years, came back home to the US and now we are heading back to a place he loves to call 'home', which I know hurts his parents. I think they thought they would always have everyone around too. On the plus side they did love to visit us in England in the summer, they are Floridians after all.

My boys have dual citizenship, I might burn the other passports to be on the safe side :/
Old Apr 30th 2015, 12:05 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Update

Removals booked for next week....flights the week after.

Just exchanged contracts on a house in Cambridgeshire....completion date the day before we land.....my son will pick up the keys

Will stay with our son for a few days as he lives very near to where we will be.

Looking forward to some mild weather and decent pubs
Old Apr 30th 2015, 12:15 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Just in time for late spring and summer.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 12:16 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by BEVS
Just in time for late spring and summer.
That was the plan

We seem to have been just killing time for the last few weeks.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 12:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Update

Just exchanged contracts on a house in Cambridgeshire....completion date the day before we land.....my son will pick up the keys

Will stay with our son for a few days as he lives very near to where we will be.

Sounds like a plan...a very good plan.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

Well done Grayling, you have always said things as you see them and I have enjoyed reading your posts over the years.

Have fun back home
Old Apr 30th 2015, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Update

Wow, you don't hang about! Cambridge is looking good in Spring and the weather has been lovely!

Bon Voyage!
Old May 11th 2015, 12:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

... and where is he? We like to know y'know.

Updates required Grayling. Are you all moved in ?
Old May 15th 2015, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

If only we could show the posts on this forum to people thinking about moving to another country.
I think one thing most of us have in common is the "what was I thinking of" mentality when deciding to move.
Children are the major anchor to wherever we live. We forget they have needs and they are not always the same as ours. So that really needs to be thought about....
Speaking of Grandchildren they are special but as they get older they live such busy lives we as Grandparents are not as important to them as they are to us. So leaving them behind will not affect them as much as it will you.

And I can attest to the fact that putting off going home or delaying it for reasons that you think are important is really really bad. So many things can happen and the worst is illness. I was on my way home and became ill now I am well my OH is ill and will never be able to move to the UK.
Fear holds many back but fear can be overcome if not you will live the last years of your life full of regret.

Thankfully I have plenty to do I started driving again slowly getting my confidence back and I have my garden and my son Downloaded Hola for me: I am just afraid to turn my computer off in case I lose it.....so it just goes to sleep mode at night..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.