Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

If you moved back to the UK today, what would you miss?

If you moved back to the UK today, what would you miss?

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:10 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you moved back to the UK today, what would you miss?

Originally Posted by Janek66
I But then again I was surprized to see scorpions in peoples homes and tarantulas just sitting there. Ugh!
We can't all afford dogs and cats as pets ...
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
We can't all afford dogs and cats as pets ...
3 Weeks after my daughter was born we went on a road trip to CO. We stopped overnight in a hotel in Tuba City. The hotel had a courtyard that had brick planters in it and my mother and I decided to take a walk and look around. Resting half on a planter and half on the ground was a tarantula, waving its front legs about. My mother decided to poke it a little with a stick. My husband shouted "watch out! They jump." With that, something landed on my head. I leapt up screaming and promptly wet myself......it was a cricket! We were all creasing up over it afterwards.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

3 Weeks after my daughter was born we went on a road trip to CO. We stopped overnight in a hotel in Tuba City. The hotel had a courtyard that had brick planters in it and my mother and I decided to take a walk and look around. Resting half on a planter and half on the ground was a tarantula, waving its front legs about. My mother decided to poke it a little with a stick. My husband shouted "watch out! They jump." With that, something landed on my head. I leapt up screaming and promptly wet myself......it was a cricket! We were all creasing up over it afterwards.
Our former airport manager/IT genius was wandering around our office one morning with a jar. I made some smart remark about his choice of coffee cup and he said, "Have a look, I found this out at the airport."
He set the jar down on the desk and there was this stonking great hairy tarantula sleeping peacefully at the bottom of it. He was taking it home to turn it loose on his 40 acres of desert.
That was as close as I ever want to be to a tarantula.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:31 am
\o/

OiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud of

I lived in AZ for 5 years, brown dirt, blue skies and hot sun 360 days of the year. I got old really quick. But to answer the question, don't think there is anything I would miss except maybe the large roads.
What color is the dirt and the sky where you live then
Its not always hot, 4 months of the year can be tough depending on your attitude, but for me the summer is no worse than a long hard winter.
Also no tornadoes, hurricanes or earthquakes here.

Last edited by OiOi; Oct 22nd 2008 at 4:34 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:36 am
\o/

OiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud ofOiOi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by geeandtee
Yup, world's largest sodding dirt lot.
Apparently a lot of people like the sodding dirt lot. Phoenix is the fastest growing city in the US and has recently moved up to 6th place in population rankings.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OiOi
What color is the dirt and the sky where you live then
Its not always hot, 4 months of the year can be tough depending on your attitude, but for me the summer is no worse than a long hard winter.
Also no tornadoes, hurricanes or earthquakes here.
The dirt is red. The sky changes colour all the time, probably due to all the pollution being blown in from northern Virginia.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:19 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OiOi
Apparently a lot of people like the sodding dirt lot. Phoenix is the fastest growing city in the US and has recently moved up to 6th place in population rankings.
I don't understand the attraction to living somehere like that, but different people, different tastes. One thing is for certain, it definately won't be adding me to the apparently ever swelling numbers of its population.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by englishinfl
I don't understand the attraction to living somehere like that, but different people, different tastes. One thing is for certain, it definately won't be adding me to the apparently ever swelling numbers of its population.
Bits of Phoenix are alright like the Arcadia area but the new bits, all you see is miles and miles of terracota roof tiles. Really boring.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 7:22 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Bits of Phoenix are alright like the Arcadia area but the new bits, all you see is miles and miles of terracota roof tiles. Really boring.
Same as living in milton keynes then?
I'd find the desert boring, period.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Phoenix was alright but after a while I missed the trees and the wind, seasons.
Having said that, in the middle of a WV winter I could do with some Phoenix sun and good mexican food.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

There´s lots of beauty in AZ; Sedona, for one ... and the Grand Canyon of course. The area up near Flagstaff gets snow in winter and there are huge forrests. I used to have a customer in the ´four corners´area (NE Az), and chose to drive instead of fly from Phoenix along the salt river - fabulous scenery.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 10:48 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd miss our pet chipmunk.
Attached Thumbnails If you moved back to the UK today, what would you miss?-n769314516_1465598_2038.jpg  
Old Oct 25th 2008, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
There´s lots of beauty in AZ; Sedona, for one ... and the Grand Canyon of course. The area up near Flagstaff gets snow in winter and there are huge forrests. I used to have a customer in the ´four corners´area (NE Az), and chose to drive instead of fly from Phoenix along the salt river - fabulous scenery.
My parents live in Sedona. If you're ever in the visitor's center, say hi to my Dad for me, he volunteers there.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Ok, I'll ammend what I said... I'd find the desert boring, to live in.
I wouldn't mind visiting it. that would be interesting, but to live there? No thanks, it wouldn't be my idea of ideal
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'll ammend what I said... I'd find the desert boring, to live in.
I wouldn't mind visiting it. that would be interesting, but to live there? No thanks, it wouldn't be my idea of ideal
My point was more along the lines of, don't assume that all of AZ is a desert. Sedona, AZ is a very high-end, cultural place, with fabulous scenery and lots of artsy-fartsy stuff. Here's few pics I've taken around Sedona that counter the 'desert' image (third pic is more 'desert-like', but still rather pretty - houses surrounded by red-rocks in Sedona. Second pic shows snow surrounded by trees, taken on the drive from Sedona to Phoenix. First pic is taken on the approach to Sedona).
Attached Thumbnails If you moved back to the UK today, what would you miss?-pict6904-p1hh-p6hh_enb-sml.jpg   If you moved back to the UK today, what would you miss?-img_3150-p1-p3-sml.jpg   If you moved back to the UK today, what would you miss?-pict6951-crop-sml.jpg  

Last edited by Steerpike; Oct 28th 2008 at 5:11 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.