Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Hello All....UK citizen thats been away a long time here....

Hello All....UK citizen thats been away a long time here....

Old Nov 2nd 2010, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello All....UK citizen thats been away a long time here....

we lived in the West Midlands for 11 years and I think you could do a lot worse.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:33 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Go home, you wwill work yurself to death here..you kids will adapt, kids always do...America can be a very lonely place..
Jackie.
your post and the one you are responding to have definitely struck a cord with me! when I look into my future I see exactly the same thing for myself...adult kids who don't join me and medical bills! I've been feeling like this on and off for lets say 5 + years ...it's what motivated me to get my U.s citizenship but then another baby happened and before you know it 5 years have passed and you still feel the same ..no, more desperate because you're not getting any younger and the oldest kid should have already begun his GCSE's ......I'm lonely and unhappy here but to uproot the kids?..make us broke moving to rain and shoe box terraces?

when I'm second guessing myself , realising the cost of the whole thing or just feeling generally overwhelmed and scared by the whole prospect of returning to a country I left when I was 20.....I'm gonna reread your post and it's gonna give me the courage to finally make this thing happen!

good luck to you both and I hope like hell this is the right decision ..wouldn't life be much simpler with a crystal ball...better yet a winning lottery ticket
...oh and p.s .............if it all goes tits up for me when I do return ...I'll blame you
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
your post and the one you are responding to have definitely struck a cord with me! when I look into my future I see exactly the same thing for myself...adult kids who don't join me and medical bills! I've been feeling like this on and off for lets say 5 + years ...it's what motivated me to get my U.s citizenship but then another baby happened and before you know it 5 years have passed and you still feel the same ..no, more desperate because you're not getting any younger and the oldest kid should have already begun his GCSE's ......I'm lonely and unhappy here but to uproot the kids?..make us broke moving to rain and shoe box terraces?

when I'm second guessing myself , realising the cost of the whole thing or just feeling generally overwhelmed and scared by the whole prospect of returning to a country I left when I was 20.....I'm gonna reread your post and it's gonna give me the courage to finally make this thing happen!

good luck to you both and I hope like hell this is the right decision ..wouldn't life be much simpler with a crystal ball...better yet a winning lottery ticket
...oh and p.s .............if it all goes tits up for me when I do return ...I'll blame you

sorry to hear you are so unsettled mate. Good luck in whatever you choose to do
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lolpeake103
Hello All,
Well my story is I have been living in the USA for 20 years now, I came here as an impressionable 19 year old as an aupair, met a guy, we got married....divorced.....met someone new, had 3 kids.....divorced.....!!!
I have been a single parent now for 3 years and im finding it increasingly difficult to try to do this on my own. My exs family dont help out at all, my ex barely pays child support, I work 2 jobs just to keep afloat and have come to a fork in the road....do I stay here for my kids or do I leave to go back to England?
I feel I dont really have friends here, most of them left with my divorce, I work 7 days a week and my oldest daughter who is 12 seems to be stuck with the majority of the parenting responsibilities, im so unsure as to what to do, I have spent half of my life here but feel I have achieved very little. I love the area where I live as there is a freshwater lake less than 5 minutes away and I love the water, but im just feeling so incredibly depressed and I just dont know what to do. My family wants me home....yesterday!!! Im worried about my kids, how will they cope? Im worried about myself, I would go back home, to the west midlands, not the most scenic of counties....I feel my life is just a sham though, I honestly dont know what to do for the best. I have a 3 week vacation set up for December/January, my kids will have their first English christmas!! Im going to use that time to see how they like it. I know if I move home I will not be able to come back to the USA so its a 1 time deal.......I just dont know what is the best decision to make for me or my kids.......any ideas anyone??

Thanks for listening!!!
hi luv,
you have to follow or heart while i dont have children i moved here 20 years ago to florida i was 12, i hated it at 1st then loved it, after 1 marriage and divorce, then a long engagment with a big house and all the trimmings i find the only place where i really feel at home is the UK I am from Brum too, i miss the no 50 bus, honest people, fish n chips , it ma not be the greatest place ever but when you go somewhere and just feel at home then you are there... i know you feel bad for your kids but if u are happy they will feel it, goos luck babes!
xoxoxo
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sunrise, Florida, now S.C USA, soon to be back In Brum, UK
hayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to allhayleyatfla is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
we lived in the West Midlands for 11 years and I think you could do a lot worse.
i love Birmingham city center and i cant wai to get back there!!
Old Nov 25th 2010, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolpeake103
Thankyou all for your replies....

Sue, thankyou for moving my post for me. I have been a greencard holder for 17 years now but was under the impression I am only allowed out of the USA for upto 1 year before forfeiting that, my children are all US citizens so I dont know if that factors into anything, I honestly wish I had the finances to stay longer...maybe 3 months, so the kids could really get a taste for the life but as im absolutely stripped of resources it would have to be a 1 time thing, I wouldnt be able to set up home here again by myself, It has taken me 3 years to get this far with a trailer, a car and 2 jobs......and even my modest life is a constant struggle....

Robin, my children have been there quite a few times, my son was born there so sees himself as very much English, he would move in a heartbeat, my youngest is 7 and is very happy go lucky, I think she would adjust wonderfully.....but my oldest is 12 and has had to grow up VERY fast these past few years, although she is excited to go for a visit.....and she actually has told me she would love to go to college in the UK, I think she is the one im most concerned with......she is basically the only one that has any sort of a relationship with her Dad....

Mummy, I toyed with the idea of going home after the divorce, and my ex had no problem with it. He will go months without seeing or talking to his children, and just like you said......he told me it would be a weight off his shoulders as he wouldnt have to pay child support ( not that me staying here made that happen but something is better than nothing I guess) I think he would happily give up his rights to write off his financial responsibility.....

Thankyou all for your comments and questions, my head is spinning and in my heart I just dont know what to do. I appreciate your input so much!
Lolpeake, I just joined the forum yesterday with a view to returning to the land of my birth - UK

I've been following your story. I have been through a few relationships with creeps, too, although I have no children. In this economy, I find it difficult to make ends meet - and sometimes they don't meet. I can't wait to get back to Britain and, if I were you, I would be GONE! Your children will have a far better education in the UK and they will grow up with better "boundaries". The UK is a much softer, gentler society for children.