Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Care in the UK, Do my parents have to sell house in France?

Care in the UK, Do my parents have to sell house in France?

Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Care in the UK, Do we have to sell house in France?

Originally Posted by Shard
They can sell the house at whatever price they want, but the council will make an assessment on whether the transaction was at fair market value and/or whether there was any attempt to under-report capital to them. The fact that it is overseas property is irrelevant.
True but as far as I know the value of a house is determined by the market. If the house is on the market and nobody is willing to buy it, the first offer is the market value. Different in a vibrant market where houses are sold quickly but in many parts of France houses could be empty for years.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:45 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The threshold should be higher for those who take out end of life care insurance.
I suppose that would make some sense. There's lots of scope for reform on the issue of elderly care and inheritance.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 1:48 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
True but as far as I know the value of a house is determined by the market. If the house is on the market and nobody is willing to buy it, the first offer is the market value. Different in a vibrant market where houses are sold quickly but in many parts of France houses could be empty for years.
The FMV of a rural French house would not be as straightforward to assess as a house in a UK town, but it would still be possible. It seems that the OP has had some discussions with the authorities on how a sale might be handled, and hopefully they would be given some latitude or interim support.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 3:22 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Care in the UK, Do my parents have to sell house in France?

This should absolutely be a sticky post in the french forum.

In fact the OP could go over there and ask for advice. There was one poster who had to sort out her parents house in france and get them back to the UK. And she was based in Texas.

Selling a house in France? If it's a nice new one on the edge of a town with schools and jobs around then it's not that hard. Unfortunately, retiring Brits like the sort of houses that french people would not touch with a barge pole. In need of restoration, out in the middle of nowhere, no schools, no work or a long commute to work. They can indeed take years to sell and often you have to sell for a lot less than you bought it for.

I'll see if I can pm the poster I'm thinking of. Can't remember her BE pseudo though...
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
This thread has raised a lot of forseeable issues, so many that it almost warrants being distilled into a wiki or a sticky and posted in the Spain and France forums.

- the risks of buying a house that may be unsaleable at any reasonable price, especially in an "emergency"
- tying up most of your tangible net worth in a house, especially one that is potentially unsaleable, and even more so if you don't have relatively substantial income during retirement, enough to pay for end of life care, or insurance or a nest egg to pay for care
- living long term in a country and not speaking the language, the consequences, especially later in life can be disturbing
- expecting to return to the UK when your health declines and expecting "the government" is going to willingly pick up the tab without setting some reasonable hurdles
- the idea that on returning to the UK you somehow expect "the government" to step up with housing and "benefits". ..... When you retired to Spain, France, etc. you didn't expect the Spanish or French government to find you housing and give you a cash hand out. Therefore morally you have no right to expect housing and benefits when you decide that it is financially advantageous to return to the UK for residential care paid for by "the government."
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:23 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

OP, look for JJMB's posts in the france forum. I've sent her a pm to see if she can help you but not sure she's around much these days.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 4:31 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
OP, look for JJMB's posts in the france forum. I've sent her a pm to see if she can help you but not sure she's around much these days.
Looks like this jjmb already tried to warn the OP about this potential problem in Feb 2016!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/franc.../#post11880384

But looks like the OP ignored the advice 18 months ago and is now surprised at this situation...
Old Sep 19th 2017, 5:21 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by DayPerson
It has certainly made my dad question whether the UK is the right place for mum to be and I am sure in 2018 we'll be back in France rather than here even though they refused to treat her so we are caught between a rock and a hard place.
Why did "they" (french doctors?) refuse to treat her? That sounds very odd.

I'm no expert but even in France you may have to contribute towards the cost of your mum's care in a nursing home.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

DayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to beholdDayPerson is a splendid one to behold

Why did "they" (french doctors?) refuse to treat her? That sounds very odd
I'm not sure, maybe because they knew mum couldn't cope and they thought the UK was better (it's worse) or because we were British and they refused because of that.

I don't think we could cope with carers anyway so we're doing 24/7 care in the short term and I have stopped all evening meetings I used to go to look after mum.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 6:11 pm
Austin. TX.

I'm not sure, maybe because they knew mum couldn't cope and they thought the UK was better (it's worse) or because we were British and they refused because of that
your reply sounds even more strange.

Do you speak french?
Old Sep 19th 2017, 6:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure, maybe ..... because we were British and they refused because of that.
.... Do you speak french?
Does/did your mother have French health insurance?
Old Sep 19th 2017, 6:32 pm
Austin. TX.

This might be better in the france forum now if the OP is moving back to France.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 6:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

This might be better in the france forum now if the OP is moving back to France.
I think the DayPerson would be best to open a new thread in the France forum asking about care for her mother in France.

DayPerson if you do open a new thread maybe add a link to this thread in the opening post.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 1:23 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I must be thick because I can't understand this thread at all.

The only sticking point to the OP's mum getting the care she needs in the UK seems to be the house in France. If it was sold, mum and dad could meet the habitual residence test and be eligible for care and benefits in the UK.

The best, the only solution seems to be to sell the house. It may well sell for far less than was paid, but what does that really matter in the scheme of things? The aim here is to get the best care for mum, and having a house in France isn't benefiting her at all.

Sell the house.
Mum and dad will then be able to meet the habitual residence test and be eligible for benefits and help with care costs.
Dad can buy a little property with the proceeds, or rent for a while and put his name on the council's housing list.
Mum will have carers that speak to her in a language she can understand.
Dad and daughter will be able to converse with carers in a language they can understand.

Why return to France, where the OP says there's huge difficulty in getting appropriate care for mum, and even when care is offered they won't accept it?? All for the sake of hanging onto a house??
Old Sep 20th 2017, 3:03 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I must be thick because I can't understand this thread at all.

The only sticking point to the OP's mum getting the care she needs in the UK seems to be the house in France. If it was sold, mum and dad could meet the habitual residence test and be eligible for care and benefits in the UK.

The best, the only solution seems to be to sell the house. It may well sell for far less than was paid, but what does that really matter in the scheme of things? The aim here is to get the best care for mum, and having a house in France isn't benefiting her at all.

Sell the house.
Mum and dad will then be able to meet the habitual residence test and be eligible for benefits and help with care costs.
Dad can buy a little property with the proceeds, or rent for a while and put his name on the council's housing list.
Mum will have carers that speak to her in a language she can understand.
Dad and daughter will be able to converse with carers in a language they can understand.

Why return to France, where the OP says there's huge difficulty in getting appropriate care for mum, and even when care is offered they won't accept it?? All for the sake of hanging onto a house??
No, I don't think you are thick.... just a bit ignorant of the french housing market. I think I already said that selling a house, especially an older one is nigh on impossible. They are seen as a liability and not as an asset. Unless they can find another dreamy eyed Brit of course.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 20th 2017 at 11:40 am. Reason: Cocked up quote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.