Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

BRP and passport different names

BRP and passport different names

Old Aug 31st 2017, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Jessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BRP and passport different names

I'm sure I've put this in the Wong place and or joined the wrong forum!

I'm Canadian and married my British hubby in the UK in May. We have a mini holiday booked...BUT... We got married in May and you have to change name on biometrics within three months or fine and whatever. We are due to travel on the 9th of October, I applied for new BRP in July and still haven't got it back and because I'm on a Canadian passport which is currently in my maiden name which I now won't be able to change to my married name unless there is a miracle and I get my brp back today....Can I travel on my Canadian passport in my maiden name and come back into UK with my BRP in my married name, if I take my marriage certificate? I mean they will know who I am as they take your fingerprints when you RE enter to make sure you are who you say you are. What are my chances of getting into trouble?
Old Sep 1st 2017, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BRP and passport different names

Changing the name on marriage is not universal. In many culture when a woman marries, she keeps the name she had before marriage. I am sure that the immigration-wallahs in the UK have come across this before !
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 8:41 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to change your surname if you don't want to upon marriage. You only need to update your BRP if you change your name on your passport so you've gone about things the wrong way round.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Bananahands1771 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Jessa,

What happened in the end? I am in the same situation and travelling in March!

Thanks 😊
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 6:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bananahands1771
Hey Jessa,

What happened in the end? I am in the same situation and travelling in March!

Thanks 😊
Hi, welcome to BE. The OP hasn't been back on the forum since they first posted, so you'd be better off starting your own thread for advice, as they are unlikely to see your question.

HTH.