Appreciating Britain.

Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Appreciating Britain.

Originally Posted by Zen10
Brilliant. Now I know what I've been reading about in Chris's posts -Little cartoon bluebirds hopping about on the magnolias in summer, fresh homemade lemonade pressed from the cartoon lemons, and in December it becomes a winter wonderland of stripey candy canes hanging from frosty pine trees and lashings of jovial ruddy-cheeked locals waving Hallo there! from their sleighs - Disneyshire!
Um, candy canes and Disneyshire? Sounds very American to me!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 5:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Apologises, should have read 'most' dangerous, not 'very' dangerous.

http://www.crime-statistics.co.uk/po...A/January/2011
really what that was showing was the most dangerous parts of the village, nothing to do with UK figures, every village will have a 'most dangerous' area, even if there was only one crime in the last year. It was really a stupid comment to make, and only likely to create antagonism.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
really what that was showing was the most dangerous parts of the village, nothing to do with UK figures, every village will have a 'most dangerous' area, even if there was only one crime in the last year. It was really a stupid comment to make, and only likely to create antagonism.
No, it was showing that Chris955 is very selective in what he posts. He cherry picked four months of low crime in the village instead of giving a true picture. Unfortunately, this casts doubt as to the authenticity of his other posts, which makes it more difficult for potential returnees to grasp a true picture of life in the UK.

I agree though that it does not represent the UK as a whole and that most villages have an area that is less desirable than other parts of the village.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:23 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

No, it was showing that Chris955 is very selective in what he posts. He cherry picked four months of low crime in the village instead of giving a true picture. Unfortunately, this casts doubt as to the authenticity of his other posts, which makes it more difficult for potential returnees to grasp a true picture of life in the UK.

I agree though that it does not represent the UK as a whole and that most villages have an area that is less desirable than other parts of the village.
As you have said you dont live in the UK and haven't for a long time so i would put more faith in posts from people who are currently residing in the UK than from people who dont.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:32 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

The one I'm considering buying in only has two streets and 170 residents. Better find out which is the high crime area
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
As you have said you dont live in the UK and haven't for a long time so i would put more faith in posts from people who are currently residing in the UK than from people who dont.
And for that reason I have made very little comment on the UK itself. What I have commented on is the totally lopsided contributions to this part of the forum, the lack of objectivity and the way those who present alternative view points are shouted down by others.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
The one I'm considering buying in only has two streets and 170 residents. Better find out which is the high crime area
Good job I wrote 'most villages'.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:23 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

And for that reason I have made very little comment on the UK itself. What I have commented on is the totally lopsided contributions to this part of the forum, the lack of objectivity and the way those who present alternative view points are shouted down by others.
But you dont live in the UK so how do you know if it is lopsided or not?
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
But you dont live in the UK so how do you know if it is lopsided or not?
Common sense.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Its bizarre isnt it ? I am loving being here, my wife is loving being here and even my Brisbane born and bred kids love it. For some reason that seems to irk a few people which seems very sad.
The kids are REALLY looking forward to this Christmas.
My family is as well. It will be the First Christmas in 5 years spent with any extended family. Too old for Santa but a decent Turkey will go down a treat.
Enjoy Chris, enjoy.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:23 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

And I bet it's true for everywhere in the world..
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:51 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Good job I wrote 'most villages'.
And yet I wonder if that's even true. I live in a bigger village right now. I go out to pubs in all the surrounding villages. My friends live in nearby villages and towns. I can't say I have seen even one instance of anything approaching crime. Not even a drunk person.

You're commenting on a country I don't recognise and yet I live here. Can you see why some of us might read your comments with an eye roll or a chuckle? I imagine it's all very convincing to Americans, who don't know any better, but to those who live here it's a case of 'who are you going to believe? Me or your lying eyes?'
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
And yet I wonder if that's even true. I live in a bigger village right now. I go out to pubs in all the surrounding villages. My friends live in nearby villages and towns. I can't say I have seen even one instance of anything approaching crime. Not even a drunk person.

You're commenting on a country I don't recognise and yet I live here. Can you see why some of us might read your comments with an eye roll or a chuckle? I imagine it's all very convincing to Americans, who don't know any better, but to those who live here it's a case of 'who are you going to believe? Me or your lying eyes?'
Just because you personally haven't seen anything approaching crime or a drunken person doesn't mean they don't exist. Take Chris955's village, according to the police reports, there have been several violent crimes over 2011/12. I take it police reports are genuine and don't fall into the category of "lying eyes". And that is just reported crime, many crimes go unreported.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Bub what on earth do you want Chris to do.

Chris is posting his experience of where he lives in the UK, which is what people do on a forum.

Do you want him to put a disclaimer on the bottom of each post, with links to crime stats, unemployement stats etc to give in your opinon 'a more balance view'.

I post some very negative comments about the US but don't expect anyone to change there mind about moving to the US. I just expect people to pick up a few things that might help.

The fact that people on here can read, write, have access to the internet and traveled the world means most have the intelligence to look up the info they require and not just use a few posts on a forum.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Apologises, should have read 'most' dangerous, not 'very' dangerous.

http://www.crime-statistics.co.uk/po...A/January/2011
5 crimes!!! probably the same person - hardly a crime ridden place, I am looking at places to retire to where some have over 100 crimes a month! Not that I am choosing them but be reasonable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.