Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Anybody returning who cant afford to buy a house?

Anybody returning who cant afford to buy a house?

Old Nov 13th 2014, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Flying Enterprise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anybody returning who cant afford to buy a house?

Hi Mary C

What I think you should do before you leave S.A. is to write a book on your experience's of moving the pitfalls etc (Just joking),

I will definitely mention your name to Brenda once we have decided to move, it seems that everybody is lining up to take your money once they hear that your moving to the U.K.
Just remember we live in Cp't so I wonder if Brenda would operate from here, I must say that price of R10,000 seems within reason, as we would also only be taking personnel stuff.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Mary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond repute

Hi FE, Brenda has offices all over so I am sure she covers Cape Town.

Hey, no jokes, I have already spoken about doing a small booklet that should be the guidelines for sellers.

I told Brenda I was on a very tight budget, am quite happy to pack my own stuff, and have no problem with it just being delivered on the other side. I will do all the un packing.

I am still deciding on the insurance to take. 'Total Loss' just covers for if the ship sinks and salvage is called for. If you dont have that insurance you can be clobbered for a portion of the salvage costs which can be millions and is shared between everyone using the ship. I was assured that in 30 odd years Bayley's had only had 2 ship lost. Alternatively I can do All Risk which means any loss or breakage will be covered too. I will make that decision at the last min.

I will now make a cup of tea and ponder on the title of my book "Dummies guide to selling a house".... perhaps hehehe
Old Nov 13th 2014, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I think the real problem with narrowboats is keeping the authorities updated with where you are
Old Nov 13th 2014, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Could you I wonder rent a narrow boat like u rent a house????
Old Nov 13th 2014, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Mary C

Just take a chance and send without insurance, or maybe not!!!!
Old Nov 13th 2014, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Mary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond reputeMary C has a reputation beyond repute

FE I would for sure send it with the Total Loss ins, its about R600. So that is nothing. All risk would be about double that, again not a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things. I would hate to be the one that had my stuff on the 3rd ship to go down hehehe.

Was giving 'the book' some thought. I will write it after I have completed the program can then include things no one tells you about when you've landed.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flying Enterprise
Could you I wonder rent a narrow boat like u rent a house????
I imagine it is possible, but the owners are likely to require quite hefty assurances that you will not simply sail into the sunset!
Old Nov 13th 2014, 11:21 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Houseboat rental: Gumtree

Trovit

The downmarket end:My life in London's houseboat slums | Society | The Guardian

Boatrent
Old Nov 13th 2014, 11:23 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Shelter's houseboat page -- useful.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mary C
FE I would for sure send it with the Total Loss ins, its about R600. So that is nothing. All risk would be about double that, again not a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things. I would hate to be the one that had my stuff on the 3rd ship to go down hehehe.

Was giving 'the book' some thought. I will write it after I have completed the program can then include things no one tells you about when you've landed.
That's not too bad at all. I thought it would cost a lot more!!
Old Nov 13th 2014, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flying Enterprise
LostBrit,

Have you moved back to the U.K. yet, as I have also been looking at rentals with all the hurdles, No pets, No DSS, etc etc etc, we are pensioners and have a couple of small dogs, you feel is if you have the plague or something!!!

Just want somewhere quiet with a small garden, ( I have a Lawnmower!! )
Surely it can't be that bad in the UK and what area are you looking at?
Old Nov 13th 2014, 12:30 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Surely it can't be that bad in the UK and what area are you looking at?
Actually, the rental situation is pretty bad. Britain is having a housing crisis. It can be difficult finding somewhere where pets are allowed. Most tenancies are for only 6 months, so there isn't much security of tenure. Of course, it does depend on the area.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Actually, the rental situation is pretty bad. Britain is having a housing crisis. It can be difficult finding somewhere where pets are allowed. Most tenancies are for only 6 months, so there isn't much security of tenure. Of course, it does depend on the area.
Think people should consider Northern Ireland then, or Republic. Live in the Republic myself, but the people I know up North have no problems and here is also no issue. Even here we don't have enough housing in the cities, but just outside it's pretty easy-going and affordable. Know plenty who are renting and are allowed to have dogs, cats and even chickens.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

A nice semi rural area, down Herefordshire, or Dorset ( Although me thinks rather expensive)
Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs down Re: Anybody returning who cant afford to buy a house?

Originally Posted by Editha
Wow! that's pretty bad, where's the Health Department, those boats look worse than the prison Hulks of a couple of hundred years ago, that I think were eventually closed down due to the Health hazard and overcrowding,

You can accept those conditions in a third world economy, but hey, this is central London, something not right there!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.