Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

where's the HSBC thread?

where's the HSBC thread?

Old Feb 27th 2017, 6:57 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where's the HSBC thread?

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Now have my NI number thanks to the good people at HM R&C.... but I am still reluctant to give it to them, however, I'm not sure going along with Weasal's advice is a good plan. How about having just one number out....? A simple mistake to make?
I know the Irish authorities do not provide information or confirmation to commercial operations such as banks. And only to governmental organisations within the EU and even then it is a major ball-ache to get it.

Things might be different in Blighty
Old Feb 27th 2017, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Transpose the two numbers. Much more convincing.
i'd be inclined to do this.

i highly doubt HSBC are going to correspondence with every single tax authority worldwide to ensure the right tax no/ref has been given....these kind of forms over here are merely to dot the i's and cross the t's and the references themselves mean jack all.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Originally Posted by Pulaski
If it is reported back as a name-number mismatch, what will be the consequence?
I have no idea, but I suspect that giving deliberately false information, albeit indirectly, to HMR&C might not be the best idea you ever had.
I wouldn't be giving it to HM R&C tho, I would be giving it to HSBC....
"Indirectly", and in the full knowledge that it is for HMR&C reporting.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:43 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission

i highly doubt HSBC are going to correspondence with every single tax authority worldwide to ensure the right tax no/ref has been given....these kind of forms over here are merely to dot the i's and cross the t's and the references themselves mean jack all.
International bank reporting with tax authorities is a rapidly evolving area. Ten years ago it didn't happen, about five years ago the US started the trend, now more countries are negotiating it year on year.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

They are almost certainly going to try and report it. The potential loss of a banking license is way more important than shielding some expat from their tax obligations.

As an aside, I had to open an account with Standard Chartered this week - I was told to put my tax residence as UAE, and NA for my tax number.

Works for me.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

They are almost certainly going to try and report it. The potential loss of a banking license is way more important than shielding some expat from their tax obligations.

As an aside, I had to open an account with Standard Chartered this week - I was told to put my tax residence as UAE, and NA for my tax number.

Works for me.
i find that hard to believe....the systems nor the manpower seem incapable of being able to do this
Old Feb 27th 2017, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

i find that hard to believe....the systems nor the manpower seem incapable of being able to do this
don't confuse the incompetence of the front office with fear in the back office.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 12:41 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

don't confuse the incompetence of the front office with fear in the back office.
That sounds every so slightly sexual.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Mark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond repute

They search but monitors and teams in Financial Crime Compliance and Customer Due Diligence and Back office working in silence same as FBI and your profile several years later would be under surveillance and things will get complicated and no one will tell you why you cannot do this or that as long as you are moving in international banks, any suspect banks are prohibited by law to clarify because we would have been penalized if we accused you or told you you are suspicious to us and you might be innocent, just FYI.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Mark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies to mission.

The answer came to me like a revelation and I realized how stupid I am

In HSBC UAE:

You would know if the beneficiary cleared the cheque or not by seeing the amount you wrote has been deducted from your account as a cheque notification.

For example, you wrote in 12 March 2017 a cheque with amount of 1k AED, then from 12 March 2017 to 12 September 2017 the amount should be deducted from your account (you will see that via internet banking or you will receive sms message right away if you are subscribed), if after 12 Sep you did not see the amount deducted then it will not be forever with that cheque as the cheque has validity only for 6 months and you will need to write a new cheque.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

and you can see the debit in the account/bank statement
That is the evidence that he cleared the cheque.