Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

UK Driving license - photocard expiry

UK Driving license - photocard expiry

Old Oct 9th 2014, 9:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: UK Driving license - photocard expiry

Originally Posted by busybee2
if you card expires whilst you are non resident, its fine, there is no 1k fine to pay like people who are living in uk, when you go back to live in uk, you just tell dvla that and they will just re-issue a new photocard no problem.... you dont need to redo your test etc.
Thanks Oracle.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Thanks Oracle.
no problemo.... i dont know if they charge you when you return, but normally when you have a photocard i think they charge 20 quid so if you have a uae licence which i have used everywhere around the world there is absolutely no need to renew your photocard anyways even if its illegal, as it will just sit then and run out again! uk people who are resident have to change it when you change address (but thats free i believe) as its illegal not to have the correct permanent address on it.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by busybee2
but if you speak with another person at dvla they will tell you different that you are not allowed to renew your photocard as you have a residence visa from elsewhere...!!!
My understanding is that you must inform the DVlA whenever you change your address and you cannot have an overseas address, hence you cannot have a UK licence if you are not UK resident.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
My understanding is that you must inform the DVlA whenever you change your address and you cannot have an overseas address, hence you cannot have a UK licence if you are not UK resident.
yep thats right.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 10:45 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sicklyman
If you want to challenge what DVLA told me, please provide some hard evidence, not rumour.
Thing is, you haven't provided hard evidence yourself. As BB says, different people at the DVLA will tell you different things. The DVLA has told *me* over the phone that you absolutely cannot use your UK licence to drive in the UK while you are not a permanent UK resident. The fact that most UK car hire companies will accept UK licences proffered by expats is irrelevant.

Obviously you can choose to believe what you want to believe. About the best you can say is that it's a grey area, and that means that eventually there will be a legal test case - and that's not something I want to run the risk of being part of. Since there are absolutely no downsides to using my UAE licence in the UK, and you get the incidental benefit of the UK police not being able to put points on it, that's what I do.

lets face it a UAE license is worth sweet **** all anywhere else in the world
You think? I've never had any issues hiring cars with it. I get a new international driving licence each year (it's only 150 AED) but I've never actually had to show it to support my UAE licence.

As for renewing your licence when you're not a UK resident, you can risk it if you like. Just don't be surprised if you get caught (and some people do). If memory serves, part of the application process involves agreeing to searches being done and you are warned about the penalties for making untrue statements, so it's not as if the risks aren't advertised upfront.

Last edited by Eeyore; Oct 12th 2014 at 10:54 am.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 9:00 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore
memory serves, part of the application process involves agreeing to searches being done and you are warned about the penalties for making untrue statements, so it's not as if the risks aren't advertised upfront.
as i dont yet have the reminder in hand etc i haven't seen any of that yet. i shall have a look and see what the penalties are etc before i decide. at this stage is still a moot point as i have not yet run out and haven't seen the forms.

I only ask as I have had issues at glasgow airport with people insisting on seeing a uk license. wrong i know but after 10 odd hours of travelling with a toddler it was assault someone or just say **** it.
Old Oct 13th 2014, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hong_konger
well I still have the old paper license with my UK address of 25 years ago. UK hire companies don't bat an eyelid.
So if you have an accident, the Third Party will presumably send the repair bill to your old address where the current resident will get a nasty surprise.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 3:31 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
So if you have an accident, the Third Party will presumably send the repair bill to your old address where the current resident will get a nasty surprise.
Why would you get sent a bill, insurance takes care of all that.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
Why would you get sent a bill, insurance takes care of all that.
No, your Insurers wouldn't pay a Third Party claim if your UK licence was not valid. OK if you use your UAE licence though.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 2:56 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Until the DVLA is offering motor insurance it doesn't really matter that they say. If you want to be properly insured when driving in the UK - and you'd be crazy not to be - you need the insurance company, not the hire car company, to confirm that you are fully insured as a non-resident.

You can 'get away' with a lot - until you have an accident. Imagine you, or your family, are hit by a driver without proper insurance. You wouldn't like it that way round.
Old Oct 14th 2014, 3:06 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Until the DVLA is offering motor insurance it doesn't really matter that they say. If you want to be properly insured when driving in the UK - and you'd be crazy not to be - you need the insurance company, not the hire car company, to confirm that you are fully insured as a non-resident.

You can 'get away' with a lot - until you have an accident. Imagine you, or your family, are hit by a driver without proper insurance. You wouldn't like it that way round.
its difficult though as ive had insurance companies say everything from we dont know to no and yes to being insured as an expat on either a uk or uae license.

its a crap shoot as ive had the same company say each thing at least once in 10 years. they say on the phone yes youre covered, you pay the premium but who knows whether they'd cover it or not
Old Oct 15th 2014, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

hong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond reputehong_konger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
its difficult though as ive had insurance companies say everything from we dont know to no and yes to being insured as an expat on either a uk or uae license.

its a crap shoot as ive had the same company say each thing at least once in 10 years. they say on the phone yes youre covered, you pay the premium but who knows whether they'd cover it or not
So what happens when a foreigner comes to UK and hires a car using say their US driving license ? are they fully insured.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 6:39 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by hong_konger
So what happens when a foreigner comes to UK and hires a car using say their US driving license ? are they fully insured.
Knowing the UK I'd say that's not an issue and you'd be covered

It seems they only get thrown when they forget about the few million UK expats that go home from time to time.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 10:47 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva

No matter what they say over the phone, you have to get confirmation of their answer is writing as that's all that will stand up legally if there is ever a problem.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 11:55 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Meow
No matter what they say over the phone, you have to get confirmation of their answer is writing as that's all that will stand up legally if there is ever a problem.
exactly, so a quick trip home one call and three days in the post and you may find out you have been driving uninsured despite paying for insurance!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.