Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Are there any British landlords who want a British tenant?

Are there any British landlords who want a British tenant?

Old Sep 30th 2014, 3:38 am
Just Joined

kevinclarkebrown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are there any British landlords who want a British tenant?

Hi everyone,

it just struck me this morning that instead of spending needless hours searching for a Real Estate Agent that I can trust to find me a new landlord, maybe I should go straight to a forum like this and ask directly.

I don't think there are many people I have met in the 8 years that have had good accommodation moves, and in my experience this is mostly down to a lack of trust on the tenants side as to the future motives of their landlord.

An enforced move now means that I have to find a new landlord within the next 8 weeks! If anyone on this forum is a landlord and would like to take this discussion further please contact me. Or perhaps, you know of a British landlord that I might speak to.

Many thanks in advance,

Kevin
Old Sep 30th 2014, 3:59 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there any British landlords who want a British tenant?

Might be an idea to give us a hint or a clue as to which country you're asking about Also why would you trust a British LL more than anyone from any other country? From the questions I am (often) asked most LLs are feckwits. We have one estate agent on the bored who could steer you right but I doubt that even she can divine what goes on in the LLs pea sized brain.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:41 am
Just Joined

Good point, well presented and thanks for your reply,

I am currently living in Dubai and will look to move within Dubai or to Abu Dhabi, work is near Shahama in Abu Dhabi.

I've got a few months yet before my current tenancy ends so it would be good to begin to network about now actually.

Kevin
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Sorry, forgot to give reason why British landlord!

I've had 2 whilst I've been here and they've been good to deal with as it's easier to rationalize and negotiate with those who are culturally similar. Also, friends have had similarly good experiences.

It just seems to be that when colleagues/friends deal with non-British landlords there are all sorts of nonsense that goes on, i.e. insisting that maintenance is a wholly tenant responsibility; trying to evict in order to get new tenants to increase the rent; landlords not responding to reasonable requests for maintenance and repair of essential items e.g. AC, water pumps, water heaters to name a few; aggressive one-way conversations to increase rents, a general lack of contact from one year to the next unless it is something they want [End of Rant]

Sorry, but you did ask and all of these recent examples come from close friends or work colleagues.

Kevin
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:54 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

OK, we're getting there slowly. A villa or apartment? How many beds? Maids room? Garden? Facilities like community hall and pools?
Old Sep 30th 2014, 5:15 am
Just Joined

We're looking for a villa/town house up to 3 bedrooms, but 2 would be okay if a larger property, no need for maids room as it's just myself and my wife.

No need for a large landscaped garden, we have one of those at the moment and it's expensive to maintain. A small one would be okay or a paved/slabbed garden area.

In a compound would be good, and we'd prefer not to be in the middle of a building site. We currently live in Springs and wouldn't discount a move within this area, but I suppose we'd rather move closer to Abu Dhabi if we have to move - less travelling time for me.

Areas we have already considered are DXB: JVC, JVT and AUH: Ghadeer on the border between AUH/DXB.

Locations we've discounted are DXB: Arabian Ranches, Al Badrah, DIC, and AUH: Khalifa City, Raha Gardens, Al Reef, Hydra Village.

Kevin
Old Sep 30th 2014, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

If you want to avoid the usual private LL shenanigans then I highly recommend seeking out professional real-estate management companies - it's a lot easier to deal with a business than the whims of an individual LL. I have good experience with Arenco and DREC in Dubai.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 5:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks, that's good advice I'll look to contact them in the next week or so.

Kevin
Old Sep 30th 2014, 6:25 am
Account Closed

Al Ghadeer gets a thumbs up from people I know, as it's new and relatively undeveloped it's cheap. But it is in the middle of nowhere, so not great for social life. My neighbour owned his townhouse but had to move there as he worked for AUH government and wanted to keep the housing allowance.
I live in JVT and work at DWC airport. The run through early morning on the 311 is OK, lot of work going on the green community roundabout which will alleviate congestion there. There is a plan for the 311 to run all the way through to AUH, which means you wouldn't have to come off and join the 11 at Ghantout. The 311 is usually pretty quiet out towards the new airport but the plans for the new terminals and runways at DWC are pretty far advanced and the funding is available, so expect a massive building site in a year or so (not to mention the Expo site which is at the Dubai end of DWC airport). JVT has no community building or pools. If you were going to move there I would go for a 2 bed TH, much better than the villas.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks Mikewot, great stuff.

I haven't had a good look around JVT, are there any areas that are more appealing than others?

Kevin
Old Sep 30th 2014, 7:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kevinclarkebrown
I haven't had a good look around JVT, are there any areas that are more appealing than others?
Avoid the villas which are directly opposite the pylons, apart from any potential fears about being close to power lines they do crackle and fizz in high humidity. Watch out for townhouses which have a 'mirror' row of TH's right next to them (you'll understand what I mean if you go look). Parking is awkward, especially for 2 car families who tend to park the 2nd car right outside their place reducing the parking width even more. Be aware that on the outskirts of the estate there are apartment blocks under construction, it can get noisy. There is no security if you're expecting a 'gated' community even if it's one subject to the white mans wave.
Access is good as there is in/out from 311 and E44 Al Khail, plus a back road to Springs/Meadows/Jumeirah Park a mall is in the pipeline for 2016, there might be access to the pool & gym in the Imperial Residence apartment towers which just opened, there will be shops there also (pharmacy, hairdresser etc.), there are two grocery shops already.
If you were thinking of across the road in JVC it is very much still a building site, access is difficult with only 2 roads in/out from Al Khail (heading in Dubai direction) nothing to Hessa Street or 311. Lots of small shops, cafes etc. Community pools are available but not outdoor.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

How bad was al badrah? looks like it will become the new Discovery gardens