Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Are the rumours true?

Are the rumours true?

Old Sep 30th 2014, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

GolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant future
Default Re: Are the rumours true?

Financial advisor...

Working mostly with expats...

I wonder why this thread suddenly went quiet...
Old Sep 30th 2014, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Winnie12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GolfGardener
Financial advisor...

Working mostly with expats...

I wonder why this thread suddenly went quiet...
haha all the questions were answered, but I can see why you would post such a comment GolfGardener
Old Sep 30th 2014, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

GolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant futureGolfGardener has a brilliant future

Seriously Winnie12, you might want to say a bit more about the job/company/industry in question to get some more specific advice.

If you are talking about working for a financial consultancy in their M&A team advising overseas companies on transactions, you might get one type of response.

if you are talking about working for PRICK de V???? or GlobalIdiot selling fixed term investment products to expat suckers then you are likely get very different advice that is likely to revolve around moving to a different company, or maybe a different career...
Old Oct 1st 2014, 4:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
which bits have you been to Scamp?
Everywhere apart from Fujairah, which is on the list...and the Western Region bits.

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I would love to be the tallest person in the room.
Go to a primary school, it's your only hope.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 4:57 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Winnie12
My mum isn't too keen to be honest because of safety, but I think that's normal. Half of me agrees with her, but then I know we would be of top priority for the British government (or so I hope) if it all suddenly went terribly wrong with regards to extremism!

And thanks for the heads up. It's helpful to talk to someone who actually lives there, and insightful to know you both even prefer it to the UK! Any main tips, like on what to prepare before I come, or whilst I'm there?
I think it is more likely to go wrong in the UK with regards to extremism to be honest!

You are aware Dubai is one of the top 10 tourist destinations for Europeans (made up fact ) or not? In other words your mum can relax - it's not like moving to Riyadh or Kabul. Behave yourself and you'll be okay. If you however like to regularly break the law things can go horribly wrong pretty quickly here...
Old Oct 1st 2014, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

shiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud ofshiraz1 has much to be proud of

Can't those "financial advisors who work (cold call) mainly with expats" be offered to ISIL as hostages?
Along with however much cash it takes for them to keep them.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Are the rumours true?

Originally Posted by Scamp
Not compared to a lot of people, you'd be surprised. It's so easy to live here, very few life-restricting rules.

I miss greenery, sensible driving, squash (the drink) being available consistently in Waitrose, cheap(er) beer, real ales. That's about it. I can get almost all of that here in one form or another so it's not the end of the world.

I miss my Dad and Mum, but they visit.

Being here and missing shit is 100% miles better than being in the UK.

Don't need to be covered up much really, only knees and shoulders in the mall etc, but be prepared to see people wearing very little and not giving a monkeys about it in the process.

As long as you don't piss off neighbours enough to make them ring the fuzz you're fine. We cohabit.

When we stay in hotels they call the person who didn't book 'Mr or Mrs other person's surname'. If that makes sense. They don't care, they just want the cash money.
Having been in the UAE for 6 weeks now, I agree with (and am somewhat comforted by) this post. I go through waves of frustration, homesickness and bloody loving it on what seems like an hourly basis.

When I start to wish I was back in London with its trees and autumn leaves and my parents down the road, I remind myself that here I have a view of the sea, a car that costs £12 to fill up, a pool/gym, living happily on my wife's income* with a six pack of Fuller's IPA in the fridge.

Oh and my wife wishes she'd packed all her knee-length dresses.

*Job hunting, not lazing about. She'd divorce me

Last edited by driftingaway; Oct 1st 2014 at 10:41 am.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

The only time I feel homesick is literally in the last few hours before leaving the UK to come back here. The rest of the time it doesn't even enter my mind.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 11:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by driftingaway
Having been in the UAE for 6 weeks now, I agree with (and am somewhat comforted by) this post. I go through waves of frustration, homesickness and bloody loving it on what seems like an hourly basis.

When I start to wish I was back in London with its trees and autumn leaves and my parents down the road, I remind myself that here I have a view of the sea, a car that costs £12 to fill up, a pool/gym, living happily on my wife's income* with a six pack of Fuller's IPA in the fridge.

Oh and my wife wishes she'd packed all her knee-length dresses.

*Job hunting, not lazing about. She'd divorce me
That's the thing, I think 'homesickness' is just thinking the grass is greener and you forget what's in front of you.

I lived in Southampton and went to Bournemouth beach twice in my adult life. I go almost every weekend when the weather is nice here.

It's definitely made easier if you're here with someone (wife/partner etc) than if you're on your jack.

My Mrs is far more likely to get homesick than me, but we combat it by doing nice things, staying with friends in Abu Dhabi, going for weekends away, having visitors (too) regularly. But it all helps.

Lots of stuff is frustrating but it's the same for everyone so I find moaning about it is irrelevant because everyone else has had to do the same or put up with the same. Still, it helps to vent. Then look at the bank account. Then have a beer. Then think about all the shit things in the UK. Then repeat.

Originally Posted by csdf
The only time I feel homesick is literally in the last few hours before leaving the UK to come back here. The rest of the time it doesn't even enter my mind.
Yeah, I always get a bit down leaving or when I've just got back.