Reload this Page >

Percentage uplift for moving

Percentage uplift for moving

Old Sep 29th 2021, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

slo0079 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Percentage uplift for moving

Originally Posted by UKMS
Regarding your education and housing allowance is this in your formal offer and/or contract ? The way you describe ’hoping’ it’s as advertised sounds as though it’s not
I'm hoping the allowances provided in the contract will cover the full costs. The schools I found within the budget have waiting lists.

Hope that helps!
Old Sep 30th 2021, 6:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by slo0079
Nothing. Life is not fair.
So you think you deserve a greater value package than someone on their own or married status because you've reproduced? What if you have 1 kid and someone else has 5 and they get given a 7-bed house and 5 schooling allowances and two cars to help them?

Originally Posted by flares
Very 'black and white' view there Scamp

If I were building a team of expats I'd be happy with a mix of single status dudes and more costly family-men (equally dudesses/-women). The networking opportunities when kids are in Brit School or Football/Rugby/Netball Clubs are important. Relationships built with potential clients and peers where the singletons are building relationships with members of the night time economy (and also some peers and potential clients).Staff retention possibly better for family status. Hard to quantify though.
Yeah, absolutely you want a mix, but if it's a 50k a month PM role, then pay them all 50k a month. You can hire men, women, families, aliens, dogs, hippos and all sorts for that money.

I had one initial video interview for 15 minutes, without any follow up. I thought they either hated me or had made a choice already, and were just ticking a box... The offer came a few days later - total surprise.

I was so disappointed when I saw it. I turned them down politely. They asked for salary slips, etc. In the end, the company made 4 offers - the last one was 61% higher than the first - which I accepted. I don't know how they justified internally. It's the same JG.

In terms of uplift (OP's query), I'm getting 56% above current net salary rates. However, I will need to save some funding for pension as my state UK and previous employers' private plans are not going to cut it. So I estimate, after higher living costs (and pension), I will save 100% more per month than currently. That's what clinched the deal for us.

I'm really hoping the allowances cover housing and schooling as advertised. The latter is the scariest part since I haven't found one with spaces.

The uplift will be greater if I get a bonus...
56% include allowances or just on basic?
Where are you looking for schooling? Lots will say full but really are just waiting for a few more to make another class worthwhile - there are other avenues into them as well.
Old Sep 30th 2021, 6:52 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Very 'black and white' view there Scamp

If I were building a team of expats I'd be happy with a mix of single status dudes and more costly family-men (equally dudesses/-women). The networking opportunities when kids are in Brit School or Football/Rugby/Netball Clubs are important. Relationships built with potential clients and peers where the singletons are building relationships with members of the night time economy (and also some peers and potential clients).Staff retention possibly better for family status. Hard to quantify though.
Interesting opinion, I think a mix is good but i'd really struggle to justify it on a relationship/networking basis. In the construction industry all your relationships are awesome until something goes wrong or you are not lowest bidder then you are cast aside instantly.
Old Sep 30th 2021, 6:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Interesting opinion, I think a mix is good but i'd really struggle to justify it on a relationship/networking basis. In the construction industry all your relationships are awesome until something goes wrong or you are not lowest bidder then you are cast aside instantly.
You can be told the project is yours on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday you get a call to go and sign the contract the next day. Thursday morning you find out the Chairman owed someone a favour and the contract is now with someone else, thanks for your time and prices.
Old Sep 30th 2021, 7:00 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
You can be told the project is yours on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday you get a call to go and sign the contract the next day. Thursday morning you find out the Chairman owed someone a favour and the contract is now with someone else, thanks for your time and prices.
Usually that's accompanied with the documents for another tender which they'd like you to price for Friday, close of business of course. I'll murder the next guy who uses this phrase.

And expect you to get similarly bent over again
Old Sep 30th 2021, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah been there. I've shot a few steely stares at the dads who work for certain client organisations when relationships had soured whilst the wives natter away obliviously and kids splash around in the British Club pool. But generally in my experience in Abu Dhabi the family connections opened so many doors.

Equally the women can make their minds up (negatively) about other women who could be married to fine fellows who you'd like to network with professionally but the idea of a cosy 4-ball at a restaurant out of the question.
Old Sep 30th 2021, 8:11 am
Account Closed

Usually that's accompanied with the documents for another tender which they'd like you to price for Friday, close of business of course. I'll murder the next guy who uses this phrase.

And expect you to get similarly bent over again
Close of business implies when I leave the office I don't have to take calls or respond to emails. I love it as an expression because I'm happy to take it literally.

Sat in the lounge last night and colleague whipped out the laptop and was doing calls and emails. I was on the phone the mrs and placing bets on the football. It's 7pm love, just give it a rest, when we land in Dubai the world will still be revolving and the business will still exist without you sending that spreadsheet.

Oh yeah been there. I've shot a few steely stares at the dads who work for certain client organisations when relationships had soured whilst the wives natter away obliviously and kids splash around in the British Club pool. But generally in my experience in Abu Dhabi the family connections opened so many doors.

Equally the women can make their minds up (negatively) about other women who could be married to fine fellows who you'd like to network with professionally but the idea of a cosy 4-ball at a restaurant out of the question.
What about when you chuck keys in the bowl?
Old Sep 30th 2021, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

What about when you chuck keys in the bowl?
We had these Belgian acquaintances who were rumoured to be very active in the pampas grass scene
Old Sep 30th 2021, 8:23 am
Account Closed

We had these Belgian acquaintances who were rumoured to be very active in the pampas grass scene
It's always the Belgians isn't it.
Old Oct 1st 2021, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

So you think you deserve a greater value package than someone on their own or married status because you've reproduced? What if you have 1 kid and someone else has 5 and they get given a 7-bed house and 5 schooling allowances and two cars to help them?
The company does.

The contract provides school allowances up to four kids.

The car allowance is the same regardless of the number of kids.

Yeah, absolutely you want a mix, but if it's a 50k a month PM role, then pay them all 50k a month.
When I joined a top 5 O&G operator, I had basic pay for an engineer with 1 year of experience (I had 2 yrs and an MSc). Another guy had no professional experience but completed a PhD - he made 3k more than me. Another guy had no experience, only a BSc, but his dad was a VP - he had a full expat contract worth at least 50% more than the PhD or me.

After 12 months, I worked offshore and my salary doubled. The PhD was worth the same. The expat quit - it was too hard for him.

56% include allowances or just on basic?
Just basic pay.

Where are you looking for schooling? Lots will say full but really are just waiting for a few more to make another class worthwhile - there are other avenues into them as well.
Anything west or north of the C roads. Trying to stay within 30 mins of the office.
Old Dec 16th 2021, 3:39 am
Just Joined

kaza86 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had one initial video interview for 15 minutes, without any follow up. I thought they either hated me or had made a choice already, and were just ticking a box... The offer came a few days later - total surprise.

I was so disappointed when I saw it. I turned them down politely. They asked for salary slips, etc. In the end, the company made 4 offers - the last one was 61% higher than the first - which I accepted. I don't know how they justified internally. It's the same JG.

In terms of uplift (OP's query), I'm getting 56% above current net salary rates. However, I will need to save some funding for pension as my state UK and previous employers' private plans are not going to cut it. So I estimate, after higher living costs (and pension), I will save 100% more per month than currently. That's what clinched the deal for us.

I'm really hoping the allowances cover housing and schooling as advertised. The latter is the scariest part since I haven't found one with spaces.

The uplift will be greater if I get a bonus...
Slo0079 do you mind sharing or PM the JG your were placed in and the base you settled for. I have accepted an offer from QP but I kinda feel I jumped the gun on this and thinking to renegotiate. The base I have accepted is 31500 QAR for a senior engineer. I feel based on your above comments there was more room for me to negotiate. What do you suggest based on your experience?
Old Dec 16th 2021, 4:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kaza86
Slo0079 do you mind sharing or PM the JG your were placed in and the base you settled for. I have accepted an offer from QP but I kinda feel I jumped the gun on this and thinking to renegotiate. The base I have accepted is 31500 QAR for a senior engineer. I feel based on your above comments there was more room for me to negotiate. What do you suggest based on your experience?
When you accept an offer and come back to renegotiate, you're unlikely to get any more and you're only going to damage the first impression - in my opinion.
If you've since changed your mind about the package, tell them that and walk away, find something else with more money.
Old Dec 16th 2021, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough

The time to negotiate any offer is BEFORE you accept it, not after accepting it. You might risk getting the offer removed altogether if you tell QP that its no longer suitable and they might assume you're a time waster and move on to the next candidate. So be very careful what you do next.

Btw a base salary of QAR 31500/m for a senior engineer at QP is pretty much par for the course, which probably means you'll be getting 45k+ all in. Not bad at all. The only way you'll get considerably more (60k+) is working through a contractor eg SPIE, NES Fircroft, Airswift etc
Old Dec 16th 2021, 8:26 am
Just Joined

I signed the T&C and sent them back. Later I changed my mind and explained why. They came back with a final offer just over 32k (this had to be approved at the highest levels, blah blah). I then signed the T&C again and separate offer letter. Everyone was happy.

Turns out salaries are based on your passport. Not you. A friend was offered a position to lead a world-class international institution in Qatar, for 14k a month. He was like, what??!! He has a passport from a South American country and apparently this is seen as competitive. Except he moved from Washington D.C. and earned a lot more than that... they refused to negotiate so he turned them now.

Another friend moved from the UK. He has a passport from an African nation. He would have been offered pennies, but he has dual British passport so he was offered more.

Totally racist scheme but that's how it works.
Old Dec 16th 2021, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

psychopomp1 will become famous soon enough

I signed the T&C and sent them back. Later I changed my mind and explained why. They came back with a final offer just over 32k (this had to be approved at the highest levels, blah blah). I then signed the T&C again and separate offer letter. Everyone was happy.

Turns out salaries are based on your passport. Not you. A friend was offered a position to lead a world-class international institution in Qatar, for 14k a month. He was like, what??!! He has a passport from a South American country and apparently this is seen as competitive. Except he moved from Washington D.C. and earned a lot more than that... they refused to negotiate so he turned them now.

Another friend moved from the UK. He has a passport from an African nation. He would have been offered pennies, but he has dual British passport so he was offered more.

Totally racist scheme but that's how it works.
QP certainly don’t just look at the colour of your passport. They also look where you’ve gained your experience, if it’s mainly Middle Eastern non multinationals then you can forget about getting a ‘western package’.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.