Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Old Video of Dubai back in 1999 and 2000

Old Video of Dubai back in 1999 and 2000

Old Apr 8th 2018, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old Video of Dubai back in 1999 and 2000

Hard Rock Cafe was already closed when I came for the first time in 2008. There were discussions to reopen it down at Festival City. I still remember seeing the original building along Sheikh Zayed.

The sea in the video is amazingly blue and clear. I still remember seeing marine life back in 2008-9. Including schools of stingrays off Umm Suqeim beach.

Palm and La Mer has changed the water quality for the Marina beaches. By closing off the water flow it's become more stagnant and not as blue and clear as the beaches further to the north, which are still ok, although don't have the marine life they used to.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 7:21 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
What was that other hotel, the one that had Hard Rock Cafe (crossed guitars) adjoining it? That was a decent place - and bar - too.

Closed 2009 or so I think.

Edited - Palm Hotel, or Palm Court Hotel?
It makes me feel like I've been here a while that I know the place you're talking about, albeit only as a closed off site waiting for demolition. Loads of people whining for the guitars to be saved too if I remember correctly.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
It makes me feel like I've been here a while that I know the place you're talking about, albeit only as a closed off site waiting for demolition. Loads of people whining for the guitars to be saved too if I remember correctly.
Catboy on Dubai 92 (When he was still married to GeordieBird) tried to get a "movement" together to get them re-sited.

As usual no-one was bothered about them, so they got flattened.

There were some great bands at the Hard Rock, even the resident band were decent (not as good as Golden Star at Seaview mind you, but still good).

When the Palm Hotel was closed in 2007, the Hard Rock lost it's booze licence and slowly died, closing a year or so later and left rotting for 4 or so years before it got flattened - in 2012 if I recall.

Last edited by IKnowNothing; Apr 8th 2018 at 7:38 am.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

What was that other hotel, the one that had Hard Rock Cafe (crossed guitars) adjoining it? That was a decent place - and bar - too.

Closed 2009 or so I think.

Edited - Palm Hotel, or Palm Court Hotel?
17 dizzers a pint in there as well at one point
Old Apr 8th 2018, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Yup. And at 7 to the pound. Brilliant.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 7:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Catboy on Dubai 92 (When he was still married to GeordieBird) tried to get a "movement" together to get them re-sited.

As usual no-one was bothered about them, so they got flattened.

There were some great bands at the Hard Rock, even the resident band were decent (not as good as Golden Star at Seaview mind you, but still good).

When the Palm Hotel was closed in 2007, the Hard Rock lost it's booze licence and slowly died, closing a year or so later and left rotting for 4 or so years before it got flattened - in 2012 if I recall.

Good knowledge. Yeah, must have been 2012ish as I came in 2011 and they were here. Shit. It was 7yrs ago yesterday I arrived.

New Hard Rock up at Festival City I think, never been, just know one is there.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Good knowledge. Yeah, must have been 2012ish as I came in 2011 and they were here. Shit. It was 7yrs ago yesterday I arrived.

New Hard Rock up at Festival City I think, never been, just know one is there.
Been a few times. Decent enough.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Originally Posted by Millhouse
Yup. And at 7 to the pound. Brilliant.
And on that I bought a 1.5 litre bottle of Tesco's Vodka for AED27 yesterday at the local bottle shop, so around a fiver.

Got back, looked up the price on Tesco's website - £27.

That's a scary markup.

Just seen the amount of duty you pay :-

Spirit Duty
You pay £28.74 of Spirit Duty per litre of pure alcohol.

Example
The Spirit Duty you pay on a 1 litre bottle of 40% ABV vodka is 40% of £28.74, or £11.50.
Or in my case, 1.5l @37.5% is £16.16, then 20% VAT too, so best part of £20 of that is duty!

Last edited by IKnowNothing; Apr 8th 2018 at 8:10 am.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

And on that I bought a 1.5 litre bottle of Tesco's Vodka for AED27 yesterday at the local bottle shop, so around a fiver.

Got back, looked up the price on Tesco's website - £23.

That's a scary markup.

Just seen the amount of duty you pay :-

Or in my case, 1.5l @37.5% is £16.16, then 20% VAT too, so best part of £20 of that is duty!
£23 isn't as scary as drinking cheap vodka.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
£23 isn't as scary as drinking cheap vodka.

When mixed with orange/coke/ribena and 7up etc. it all tastes the same.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Point taken.

So you're 18?
Old Apr 8th 2018, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I thought you were the type that had it on their cornflakes.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I thought you were the type that had it on their cornflakes.
I'm sure he can outdrink a Russian pensioner languishing away in a Siberian industrial town.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I'm sure he can outdrink a Russian pensioner languishing away in a Siberian industrial town.
Only the women...

Reminds me of the time I was in Belgrade in 2005, the Serb that I was working with was having beer and shots for breakfast, we had a meeting with the Gov and the Airline, they had shots with their coffee, and on a night, a pint was swallowed in 2 gulps and a shot with it. He told me, "Don't try to keep up". I didn't.

Dunno what the shots were, tasted worse than bad grappa.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 8:34 am
Account Closed

Respectfully disagree but not everyone seems to be bothered by the difference with vodkas. Perhaps some seem to see it as a drink to just do a job rather than one to enjoy like gin or whisky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.