Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

No respect for Cars (Abu Dhabi)

No respect for Cars (Abu Dhabi)

Old Aug 23rd 2012, 9:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: No respect for Cars (Abu Dhabi)

Originally Posted by EastWest
I had similar incidents here in AUS (and same in Europe). Possibly not to that extent like in the ME, but still happens. I would not say, however, that people here or there are more human etc.
Never had it in the UK, never let my car door hit other peoples either.

If it happened in the UK or anywhere to be honest I'd still think the other person was an ignorant, selfish bellend with a total lack of respect, manners.

I know that's all quite stern but it's a very simple thing (to show a smidge of respect to other folks stuff), which is why I fail to understand how people can't just do it.

Oh well. Worse things happen I suppose.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's just a car - really, who cares?

And Scamp, your's is an Explorer - they are suppose to have dents, it's a school run machine.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
It's just a car - really, who cares?

And Scamp, your's is an Explorer - they are suppose to have dents, it's a school run machine.
Doesn't matter. I pay for it, it's my car, it was in perfect nick when I got it.

I will lose money repairing it to sell or when the next bloke comes to buy it and asks for money off for the dents.

Next time I see you I'll show you the picture of the back of it. Tailgate area about 8 inches square where someone has run a key around for no good reason.

Would you be happy if someone walked up to your house in the UK and smashed a divot in the front wall with a sledghammer?
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Doesn't matter. I pay for it, it's my car, it was in perfect nick when I got it.

I will lose money repairing it to sell or when the next bloke comes to buy it and asks for money off for the dents.

Next time I see you I'll show you the picture of the back of it. Tailgate area about 8 inches square where someone has run a key around for no good reason.

Would you be happy if someone walked up to your house in the UK and smashed a divot in the front wall with a sledghammer?
At least you don't get bastards chucking brake fluid on your car in Dubai (yet...)
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:10 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

I don't go around smashing my car door off of other peoples. I have some level of respect for other peoples things.
Yup.

I'm always incredibly careful when opening doors to the point I will stick my fingers between the door and the next car to ensure they don't touch when there's a tight squeeze getting out.

I also park as far over to a pillar (when there is one and there's no parking space next to mine on one side), so the guys in the next bay over has a little bit more space.

It all goes back to when I was eight and I slammed open the door of my dad's car when there wasn't room and it hit the wall of my nan's house. He put the fear of death into me that day. Since then, I've always been very, very careful when opening doors.

So from personal experience, I'd agree that shouting them down will make them more careful.

If I was scamp, I'd have shouted at the kid till I scared the shit of of them, then calmly apologised to the father and explained that he wouldn't like it if it was the other way around.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

This costs around 250Dh to fix that if you are that bothered.

In the UK I had someone do a 3 point turn into my car. Annoying, but not much you can do about it but take it to the arches and get Phil 'n Grant to fix it up. I also recall reversing it straight into someone (by accident) the day I collected it from Phil. How we laughed that day.

Shouting at people and getting wound up won't solve your problem though.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Yup.

I'm always incredibly careful when opening doors to the point I will stick my fingers between the door and the next car to ensure they don't touch when there's a tight squeeze getting out.

I also park as far over to a pillar (when there is one and there's no parking space next to mine on one side), so the guys in the next bay over has a little bit more space.

It all goes back to when I was eight and I slammed open the door of my dad's car when there wasn't room and it hit the wall of my nan's house. He put the fear of death into me that day. Since then, I've always been very, very careful when opening doors.

So from personal experience, I'd agree that shouting them down will make them more careful.

If I was scamp, I'd have shouted at the kid till I scared the shit of of them, then calmly apologised to the father and explained that he wouldn't like it if it was the other way around.
I do that pillar bit too. It's changed here from doing it to be nice to doing it so they don't smack my car.

Parked in MoE once and the Escalade next to me left so little room I had to climb in the passenger back door and through to the drivers seat. Wanted to sit and wait for the person to return but wasn't allowed.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
This costs around 250Dh to fix that if you are that bothered.

In the UK I had someone do a 3 point turn into my car. Annoying, but not much you can do about it but take it to the arches and get Phil 'n Grant to fix it up. I also recall reversing it straight into someone (by accident) the day I collected it from Phil. How we laughed that day.

Shouting at people and getting wound up won't solve your problem though.
I asked a bloke to look at it and he said don't bother respraying the boot, someone will notice different colours and then say you had a smash and fixed it on the sly.

I keep looking for one of those T-Cut style pens but yellow-hat and others don't seem to stock black.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

I asked a bloke to look at it and he said don't bother respraying the boot, someone will notice different colours and then say you had a smash and fixed it on the sly.

I keep looking for one of those T-Cut style pens but yellow-hat and others don't seem to stock black.
Try Brasso.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:21 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

My wife has twice reversed her car (different ones) into my car (different ones) whilst parked on our driveway at home. The second time was in her car which had reversing sensors.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

If it happened in the UK or anywhere to be honest I'd still think the other person was an ignorant, selfish bellend with a total lack of respect, manners.
That's all there is to it.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 11:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
My wife has twice reversed her car (different ones) into my car (different ones) whilst parked on our driveway at home. The second time was in her car which had reversing sensors.
I don't trust parking sensors. I was reversing my Mum's car and they didn't pick up the tow bar on another one on the drive.

That caused me some pain.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:09 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

I use permanent marker pens to touch up black motors.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Just buy one of the "car polishing" deals from Groupon etc. You can get your motor's paintwork back into decent shape for around 250 dibs.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:43 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't trust parking sensors. I was reversing my Mum's car and they didn't pick up the tow bar on another one on the drive.

That caused me some pain.
I don't trust my wife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.