British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   No respect for Cars (Abu Dhabi) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/no-respect-cars-abu-dhabi-769209/)

hickin Aug 23rd 2012 4:59 am

No respect for Cars (Abu Dhabi)

Hi Everyone!

Just joined today, but have been reading the forum for a couple of weeks. Basically came on here to rant about something that has really started to annoy me!

I have a car through my work on a lease basis and currently I'm in the centre of Abu Dhabi, so far I have had both my driver and passenger doors dinged by other peoples car doors and I have been a hit while parked. I also constantly get people sitting on my car (seen from my window or marked in the dust) and basically just not showing any respect for others property!! I know its not my car but still!! I now have to go to the police and file a report etc... which will no doubt be an absolute nightmare!

Anyone else notice/get this or am I just really unlucky? :lol:

Norm_uk Aug 23rd 2012 6:44 am

Re: No respect for Cars (Abu Dhabi)

You're not unlucky.

I've seen this a number of of times. It seems certain people (who appear to be from the sub-continent in most cases) feel they have a right to sit and lean where they please...even on my car.

I really cannot understand what goes through the mind of someone who feels it is perfectly acceptable to sit on another person's car. In most parts of the world that will get you a fist in the face...perhaps that's the problem. If we were allowed to punch people who violate our personal possessions it probably stop quickly.

N.

hickin Aug 23rd 2012 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10241871)
You're not unlucky.

I've seen this a number of of times. It seems certain people (who appear to be from the sub-continent in most cases) feel they have a right to sit and lean where they please...even on my car.

I really cannot understand what goes through the mind of someone who feels it is perfectly acceptable to sit on another person's car. In most parts of the world that will get you a fist in the face...perhaps that's the problem. If we were allowed to punch people who violate our personal possessions it probably stop quickly.

N.

You nailed the nationality and punch in the face deterrent!

Its just made me realise that its not worth having a nice car, just something decent that gets you from A to B, unless you have private underground parking at home and at the office and take taxi's to malls etc...!!

Oyibopeppeh Aug 23rd 2012 7:26 am

It's not just in the ME that this happens - In the UK I can park in the most remote part of Sainsbo's car park, but guaranteed that there will a shed of some description parked next to me by the time I come out!

hickin Aug 23rd 2012 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 10241932)
It's not just in the ME that this happens - In the UK I can park in the most remote part of Sainsbo's car park, but guaranteed that there will a shed of some description parked next to me by the time I come out!

Very true, I'm just not used to the frequency, all of my knocks have happened within the last month.

Suppose at least its not drunkard kicking off your wing mirror!! :thumbsup:

Millhouse Aug 23rd 2012 7:38 am

Originally Posted by hickin (Post 10241777)
Hi Everyone!

Just joined today, but have been reading the forum for a couple of weeks. Basically came on here to rant about something that has really started to annoy me!

I have a car through my work on a lease basis and currently I'm in the centre of Abu Dhabi, so far I have had both my driver and passenger doors dinged by other peoples car doors and I have been a hit while parked. I also constantly get people sitting on my car (seen from my window or marked in the dust) and basically just not showing any respect for others property!! I know its not my car but still!! I now have to go to the police and file a report etc... which will no doubt be an absolute nightmare!

Anyone else notice/get this or am I just really unlucky? :lol:

Why do you need a police report? if it's just a small dent, no one will care. It's normal.

Personally, I find the freedom to smash your door into the car next to you quite liberating.

hickin Aug 23rd 2012 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10241946)
Why do you need a police report? if it's just a small dent, no one will care. It's normal.

Personally, I find the freedom to smash your door into the car next to you quite liberating.

Just the info I got from the car lease company, I'll wait and when I'm in for the next service and ask then. :fingerscrossed:

Maybe I need to embrace it and stop moaning, gonna kick in some land cruisers tonight to catch up!

jam25mack Aug 23rd 2012 8:17 am

I love having a good shout at the guy who sit on my car.

It's like a release after a shitty week in work. I come out, they are sat on my car, I go mental and the world seems OK again.

Its similar to shouting and embarrassing the dicks who can't queue in a petrol station etc. have a go, make them ashamed and give the other people in the queue a good laugh. Awesome!

Ahhhhh

Oyibopeppeh Aug 23rd 2012 8:24 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10241996)
I love having a good shout at the guy who sit on my car.

That's fine...

...until a few days later when you notice the key scratch he's carved right across your bonnet!

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 23rd 2012 9:28 am

My mrs is always telling to calm down when I get annoyed about people parking in idiot places in our car park at home.

Occasionally had to do 30 point turns to get out of a space because people block you in.

Always want to run my keys over their bonnet but manage to restrain myself just in case they see and then see me get in my car.

That being said, my car has been keyed for no reason (parked with no cars around in a space in a car park in Sharjah). I also have lots of little dings in the side from people being spastics.

My mrs' car was thumped by a kid swinging a back door into it whilst we were sat in the car topping up her Salik. Bloke shat himself when I got out and then got a bit angry when I was yelling at his kid for being an ignorant little ********.

People need to be told. That's my theory. Well, that and to try not to get worked up about it. Remember, you're almost certainly a better human being than them anyway, karma will come around and they'll suffer somehow.

EastWest Aug 23rd 2012 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10242116)

Remember, you're almost certainly a better human being than them anyway.

Can you elaborate more on this point?

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 23rd 2012 9:45 am

Originally Posted by EastWest (Post 10242137)
Can you elaborate more on this point?

I don't go around smashing my car door off of other peoples. I have some level of respect for other peoples things.

OleJanx Aug 23rd 2012 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10242116)
My mrs is always telling to calm down when I get annoyed about people parking in idiot places in our car park at home.

Occasionally had to do 30 point turns to get out of a space because people block you in.

Always want to run my keys over their bonnet but manage to restrain myself just in case they see and then see me get in my car.

That being said, my car has been keyed for no reason (parked with no cars around in a space in a car park in Sharjah). I also have lots of little dings in the side from people being spastics.

My mrs' car was thumped by a kid swinging a back door into it whilst we were sat in the car topping up her Salik. Bloke shat himself when I got out and then got a bit angry when I was yelling at his kid for being an ignorant little ********.

People need to be told. That's my theory. Well, that and to try not to get worked up about it. Remember, you're almost certainly a better human being than them anyway, karma will come around and they'll suffer somehow.

Have you tried writing a message on offending cars with chalk? The results are, umm, interesting....

scrubbedexpat141 Aug 23rd 2012 9:47 am

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10242146)
Have you tried writing message on offending cars with chalk? The results are, umm, interesting....

No?

The repeat offenders all have 6ft long key marks down the sides (not done by me) along with daily notes from the security guards. Still they park there like *****.

EastWest Aug 23rd 2012 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10242144)
I don't go around smashing my car door off of other peoples. I have some level of respect for other peoples things.

I had similar incidents here in AUS (and same in Europe). Possibly not to that extent like in the ME, but still happens. I would not say, however, that people here or there are more human etc.