Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Lack of Clothes - again

Lack of Clothes - again

Old May 24th 2012, 6:09 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lack of Clothes - again

Originally Posted by OleJanx
That's all very well, but at the moment, the people who go on holiday to Dubai are, well, not exactly the brightest bulbs in the shop, and are embarrassments wherever they go, and usually couldn't give a shit about local sensibilities.
I don't disagree, especially with fellow Britons. Frankly they are an embarrassment - uncultured produce of a systematic decline in traditional values and culture in the UK.

N.
Old May 24th 2012, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I don't disagree, especially with fellow Britons. Frankly they are an embarrassment - uncultured produce of a systematic decline in traditional values and culture in the UK.

N.
Brits have never travelled well as tourists (this was possibly far, far worse during the hooligan days of the 80s) but I don't see us as being any different in Dubai from the rest of the masses. It's the middle of the world and you'll get people from everywhere coming here...why single us out?
Old May 24th 2012, 6:33 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Brits have never travelled well as tourists (this was possibly far, far worse during the hooligan days of the 80s) but I don't see us as being any different in Dubai from the rest of the masses. It's the middle of the world and you'll get people from everywhere coming here...why single us out?
Quite. I really don't think Brits are any worse than other nationalities, but there always seem to be more if us and so we're more visible.

I'd like to suggest that Russians and often Germans dress far worse.
Old May 24th 2012, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Not really. It's sold as a beach holiday. Common sense dictates the dress code will be the same as any other beach holiday around the world. If you want to dig into it even further, yes it's an islamic country, but surely they wouldn't be advising themselves as a beach holiday destination if they weren't okay with beach holiday attire.

And to be fair, the idiots that go to the mall dressed up like that need a good slap. I seem to remember seeing similar signs as those in Mall of the Emirates et all, in Spain that say something along the lines of "No se permite ropa de playa en el centro comercial", or no beach wear in the shopping centre.

The point being, they should know better than to go the mall in stuff you'd normally consider beach wear.
Exactly. I have seen signs in restaurants, malls etc. in many places around the world that said " no beach attire", " have to wear shoes", "no spitting" etc. I'd say this clearly shows there are people everywhere that are not aware of proper attire/ behaviour. Maybe the Islamic countries should realize this?
Old May 24th 2012, 8:32 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
Exactly. I have seen signs in restaurants, malls etc. in many places around the world that said " no beach attire", " have to wear shoes", "no spitting" etc. I'd say this clearly shows there are people everywhere that are not aware of proper attire/ behaviour. Maybe the Islamic countries should realize this?
"No spitting" indoors? I do not doubt a sign like that may be necessary somewhere, Just haven't seen it yet. Where did you run across it?
Old May 24th 2012, 8:43 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
"No spitting" indoors? I do not doubt a sign like that may be necessary somewhere, Just haven't seen it yet. Where did you run across it?
I've seen that in bars (maybe says something about the sort of bars I frequent), but can't recall where. Southend, maybe.

Strange how some elements of society know intrinsically how to dress appropriately. There are several establishments I've been to in AD and Dubai where our Asian cousins are dressed spot-on, without the need for signs.
Old May 24th 2012, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Malaysia and China.
Old May 24th 2012, 8:59 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

In China they constantly spit everywhere, even on buses :-(
Old May 24th 2012, 9:02 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
In China they constantly spit everywhere, even on buses :-(
Are they chewing something? Flem from smoking or just an unusual habit or custom?
Old May 24th 2012, 9:09 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

just an unusual habit or custom?
That's the one I reckon. It's not like the UAE with sand/dust particles getting into your lungs and giving everyone a bit of a cough. They just spit everywhere.
Old May 24th 2012, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
a systematic decline in traditional values and culture in the UK.

N.
I blame the immigrants and MTV.
Old May 24th 2012, 2:56 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I blame the immigrants and MTV.
i always suspected you were a racist, you can't just go blaming the americans for launching mtv you know...
Old May 24th 2012, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

folks you all seem to be getting your knickers in a twist - the UAE/Dubai is NOT an islamic country, far from it, its a Muslim country - two very totally different things.
Old May 24th 2012, 6:08 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
folks you all seem to be getting your knickers in a twist - the UAE/Dubai is NOT an islamic country, far from it, its a Muslim country - two very totally different things.
Go on then ...
Old May 24th 2012, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mission
I'm a complete philistine and so need enlightening on that one as well...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.