Lack of Clothes - again

Lack of Clothes - again

Old May 14th 2012, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

mathematist will become famous soon enough
Default Lack of Clothes - again

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/so...alls-1.1022556

Please wear appropriate clothing reminder

Modesty - It's something non-existent now. Even several (non-muslim) colleagues have commented on the lack of clothing.

An Arab colleague asked if people in the west can afford clothing as they wear very little in public. I didn't know what to say...

Old May 14th 2012, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lack of Clothes - again

If you base a key part of your economy on bringing in tourists to beach hotels in a hot country then people will relax and wear Summer clothes. If your eyes really can't handle that, don't invite them in the first place.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Given all the things we can do here covering up a little is not a big thing to ask. Besides the malls are chilly and I wouldn't dream of going shopping in beach wear in the UK, so why do it here?

Every day I see women that by many would be considered inappropriately dressed and wonder how they never 'got the memo'. I am absolutely not a prude, but masses of cleavage in the office is a no-no too.

Maybe the UAE needs to advertise itself a little better? It appears to be a beach resort to most Westerners.
Old May 14th 2012, 8:18 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is that there is no memo.
Not at the airport nor in the hotels. Sell cheap package holidays and this is what you get, don't like it either brief the hotels to provide info or shut up. Yes I know people should be aware but let's be honest 99% of those doing it are not exactly rocket scientists if they feel going out in a bikini to the mall is acceptable anyway
Old May 14th 2012, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm. Well I obviously didn't get the memo as I was asked to leave the Dubai Municipality Public Health building on the borders of Sharjah last week, by Security, for being 'inappropriately dressed'. I asked him to consult with his colleague behind the counter, she confirmed that my dress was inappropriate and I should not be allowed in. I was eventually allowed to plead my case with the head of the municipality building, he said I could come in this time, but next time - no.

I guess you're all dying to know what I was wearing... it was a very mumsy, below the knee, Boden dress, not low cut, with sleeves. I am also very obviously pregnant.
Old May 14th 2012, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...est-dress-code

The thing is, is it specifically directed at Brits? Why just the British Ambassador? What about the Arab speaking people / women who also wear very revealing clothing?

I think mainly Lebanese? Is it because they are Arabic speaking they cany get away with it more than the westerners?
Old May 14th 2012, 9:12 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mathematist
http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...est-dress-code

The thing is, is it specifically directed at Brits? Why just the British Ambassador? What about the Arab speaking people / women who also wear very revealing clothing?

I think mainly Lebanese? Is it because they are Arabic speaking they cany get away with it more than the westerners?

Is it specifically directed at us? We're the largest group of Western expats, but we also seem to be the ones who get in 'trouble' with these issues.

Perhaps it's just that the British Ambassador is the one speaking out? You only have to go a few places at the moment to realise that there are masses of Russians in Dubai right now and they certainly wear some interesting outfits.
Old May 14th 2012, 9:45 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

If I had to dress in a long, heavy black sack with jeans on underneath in 50 degree heat I would be a little bit pissed off too seeing someone in appropriate clothing for the weather.
Old May 14th 2012, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Is it specifically directed at us? We're the largest group of Western expats, but we also seem to be the ones who get in 'trouble' with these issues.
The only reference to 'westerners' in the article is in one of the quotes from an outraged local. Whilst personally I think the dress code is pointless, the 'offenders' in my experience are as likely, if not more so, to be from Lebanon as from the West, and as with most other minor breaking of the law, being able to speak a little bit of Arabic goes a long way to getting out of trouble.

In general though I think it's an easy issue for the locals to get behind and blame expats for the cultural downfall of the UAE, rather than looking at the laws they themselves are breaking. How many Emirati men are out drinking and whoring every weekend??
Old May 14th 2012, 9:50 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by britexpat76
If I had to dress in a long, heavy black sack with jeans on underneath in 50 degree heat I would be a little bit pissed off too seeing someone in appropriate clothing for the weather.
Appropriate for the weather does not have to mean revealing though.
Old May 14th 2012, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britexpat76
These black sacks mind you, some are very very expensive with diamonds, gold stuff etc...

Do you really think that these very wealthy women with Gucci bags, Merc car, Armani sunglasses, would wear something that's so uncomfortable? The abayas are made from a very light material that's way more comfortable than tight jeans and shirt.

Same goes for the kindora (male) very very comfortable after being in a suit all day... Again, many people who have tried both are surprised at how comfortable and free they are...

Actually, how do you know that the whorers are all Emirati and not other Arabs? Meow, spot on with your comment.

------
Meow

Quote:

--------

Also, you do not become cooler by taking your garments off...
Old May 14th 2012, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, how do you know that the whorers are all Emirati and not other Arabs?
I'm not suggesting that they are, but I don't think anyone can deny a good percentage will be locals.
Old May 14th 2012, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

These black sacks mind you, some are very very expensive with diamonds, gold stuff etc...

Do you really think that these very wealthy women with Gucci bags, Merc car, Armani sunglasses, would wear something that's so uncomfortable? The abayas are made from a very light material that's way more comfortable than tight jeans and shirt.

Same goes for the kindora (male) very very comfortable after being in a suit all day... Again, many people who have tried both are surprised at how comfortable and free they are...

Actually, how do you know that the whorers are all Emirati and not other Arabs? Meow, spot on with your comment.

------
Meow

Quote:

--------

I have worn abaya, very expensive, just as you described it. I assume you have not? Because this I can assure you of, it is FAR from comfortable in 50 degrees.
And what do you think those wealthy, Gucci carrying women wear underneath..jeans, pants etc, just like any other run of the mill expat out there. There is one difference though...expats usually do not wear shoes with heels higher than the Eiffel Tower...or make up so think you need to scrape it off the face.

Last edited by Alexa; May 14th 2012 at 10:55 am.
Old May 14th 2012, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

------
Meow

Quote:

--------

As an aside, I wrote an article on wearing an abaya and it was spiked for being too controversial. However, i had a great time, going to buy one, choosing my style, interviewing women in the shops etc

I wore it home and I was significantly hotter than if i hadn't been wearing it. It's not cooler, far from it, but it allows the wearer to have less on underneath, like the tshirt and board shorts of one girl. Useful if you would usually have to cover from ankle to neck. So, cooler for them, not for me as i have a few more clothing choices.

Anyway, i like my abaya and wear it very occasionally if it's needed for work stuff or for my protection but it ain't a heat protector for me.
Old May 14th 2012, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
As an aside, I wrote an article on wearing an abaya and it was spiked for being too controversial. However, i had a great time, going to buy one, choosing my style, interviewing women in the shops etc

I wore it home and I was significantly hotter than if i hadn't been wearing it. It's not cooler, far from it, but it allows the wearer to have less on underneath, like the tshirt and board shorts of one girl. Useful if you would usually have to cover from ankle to neck. So, cooler for them, not for me as i have a few more clothing choices.

Anyway, i like my abaya and wear it very occasionally if it's needed for work stuff or for my protection but it ain't a heat protector for me.
See, here is the thing....shorts or short skirts are NOT supposed to be worn under the abaya. That is why, if and when you see a lady's abaya opening by accident (or on purpose) you will 99% of every time see jeans or long pants underneath.
The myth of wearing only underwear under the abaya, is exactly that, a myth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.