Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Jeddah or Malaysia? Any help!

Jeddah or Malaysia? Any help!

Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jeddah or Malaysia? Any help!

Originally Posted by 1967tazz
So, we have erm... no votes for SA! and this from a SA forum... why is that? I get housing, and more cash. As Saudi expats why would you give this up for Malaysia?
better looking women - or, should I say, a chance to actually see the women.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

So, we have erm... no votes for SA! and this from a SA forum... why is that? I get housing, and more cash. As Saudi expats why would you give this up for Malaysia?
Yes, without trying to state the bleeding obvious, the decision is yours.

You asked for experiences from folk who have lived in KSA and Jeddah, and virtually everyone is telling you to choose Malaysia.

The bottom line is that housing and cash isn't everything in life. And in KSA, if you're not careful, you will not have much of a life. As I alluded to in my original reply, you have to go out there and find it, and undercover it. But, when you're out in public, it can be a depressing place.

If I was in the same boat as you, I wouldn't hesitate - Malaysia.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
A few peeps say this too but I can't see it myself.

I'd only been to north Jeddah and quite nice Andalus area before. Went downtown yesterday. What a shithole. Much prefer Riyadh. Dryer climate (god send in summer evenings), golf courses, embassies, bigger expat network.

On the plus side there's a little Jakata area down by Jeddah ports that looks like it does authentic far eastern hawker stall tuck for the Indonesian Hajjers
Yeah, we lived in the north of Jeddah which was quite a nice area, Al Zahara District, and Al Andalus is also very nice. I take your point, the south and eastern parts are pretty rough ( and smelly ) .

But when you're there with family, and dining out / having a coffee, Jeddah is a little freer when it comes to segregated areas, and its the little things like that make a difference. I actually miss the humidity believe it or not. RIyadh is perhaps too dry.

As for my wife, in Riyadh she gets stopped virtually every weekend when we're out in a Mall by the Muttawa, being told to cover her head. Last weekend one of them stopped her and said the bottom two buttons on her abbaya weren't done up. She was wearing jeans underneath so not exposing anything. She was fuming,and rightly so - that was just ridiculous. We never once came across a Muttawa in Jeddah.

But, after three years, I'm ready to move on from Saudi. It's the weekend, and the only thing I can come up rather than go out shopping, is to re-arrange the furniture in the villa and clean my laptop. Says it all really.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:11 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't a South Africa forum! Saudia is KSA, which stands for Kingdon of Special Arabs. It's a Middle East forum and the countries it covers can be really very different.

KSA is still in the dark ages in many respects. It's narrow-minded, ultra conservative, restrictive and expats only move there for money, far more so than anywhere else.

You can listen to people who know the country/region, and many posters have spent time in KSA, or you can ignore any advice that doesn't match what you want to hear as many new posters do. We may be a contrary, sarcastic lot, but there's a lot of experience here. Your choice to take heed, or not...
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Meow
This isn't a South Africa forum! Saudia is KSA, which stands for Kingdom of Special Arabs.

The problem is, it's only them who think they're Special.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:57 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottmbantam

The problem is, it's only them who think they're Special.
I think they're 'special' too. Just not in the same way they do
Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I lived in both places...Malaysia (Subang Jaya) and Saudi (riyadh).
First, you can't compare the two. It;s like comparing bananas with onions.

Malaysi is great, although an "Islamic country" you have every freedom you'd have in a non islamic place. Food is fabulous, loads of night live, culture, travel etc.

Saudi, well....I loved it. But I did not mind living in a compound, did not mind all the restrictions as my social life was out of this world fantastic over there.
Plus, the money was great, the main reason for me to go to a place.

I have lived, by now, over 10 years in the Middle East....at this time I would go anywhere else if the money was decent.

But since you are a first timer, Saudi might be ok for you...sun, sand, good money, completely different lifestyle...as long as that does it for you, you'll be fine.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

But, after three years, I'm ready to move on from Saudi. It's the weekend, and the only thing I can come up rather than go out shopping, is to re-arrange the furniture in the villa and clean my laptop. Says it all really.

Quote by nottmbantam.

Tell you what, unless you are heavily into partying and the haram juice, Saudi is boring.