Internet Muscat

Old Oct 24th 2014, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

jinoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet Muscat

Hi

I have tried a couple of VPN services so far in Muscat but realised that not all VPN service providers support the hardware used by the biggies here. For instance the router used by 'N' is a huawei equipment that is not supported by the two services I tried. Not sure which equipment 'O' uses..

I want to run the VPN through the router itself so that I can stream the UK programmes directly into my SONY TV. However so far have been unlucky, I want to ensure the VPN service I subscribe supports the hardware from both 'N' and 'O' here, can anyone shed some light on this please.

Thanks
Old Oct 25th 2014, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Re: Internet Muscat

I have VPN set up on a Samsung tablet and use that as a wifi hotspot for everything else.
Old Oct 25th 2014, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

That sounds like a good idea however my SONY Bravia can't go wireless and I rely on cable for the streaming!!

Does anyone know what router does Omantel used and whether which VPN service compats with Huawei router of Nawras?

TIA
Old Oct 25th 2014, 9:02 am
Just Joined

CaneloMan is an unknown quantity at this point

The router has to be correctly set up to support VPN. Usually there is one option called "VPN passthrough" and it should be enabled.

For instance, in the hotel I'm staying VPNs don't work due to the network infrastructure they have.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 2:58 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of VPNs throttle the internet service.
However, unless you are lucky enough to be connected to fibre optic, it's unlikely your service will ever be fast enough to stream uk origin programmes.
We used to download iplayer programmes overnight, using a VPN on a laptop, and hook the laptop up to the TV directly, and play he iplayer download son full screen.
Your specific request about Sony Bravia is so specific that I doubt anyone on here would be able to help (given there aren't and weren't many living in Oman on this bored).
Have you tried going to the nawras and mantel shops and asking them?
I know VPNs are illegal,but almost everybody uses themincluding Omanis.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Can you change the DNS settings on the TV and use a DNS spoofer instead? much more reliable and faster than a VPN
Old Nov 2nd 2014, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

MH, what does a DNS spoofer mean, is this some sort of an accessory that we have to connect the TV to? and how do you change the DNS settings on the TV.

Apologies for the questions, I don't know much about all this techie stuff..
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:24 am
"The Seeker"

Leannmean is an unknown quantity at this point

I think he meant using proxy server ...
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leannmean
I think he meant using proxy server ...
Kind of.

A Different DNS server that changes the geotag header on the packets.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 2:39 pm
"The Seeker"

There are programs that change the IP address , you will be able to view the "wink wink " blocked websites . But it slows down an already mediocre connection
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There are programs that change the IP address , you will be able to view the "wink wink " blocked websites . But it slows down an already mediocre connection
I do not change my IP Address. I change my geotags. no loss of performance.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 4:00 am
"The Seeker"

Thumbs up Re: Internet Muscat

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I do not change my IP Address. I change my geotags. no loss of performance.
Could you post a thread about how to get that done ? sounds awesome .
Old Nov 5th 2014, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

alfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to beholdalfrombarking is a splendid one to behold

Why cant you just use TOR?
Old Nov 5th 2014, 5:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Could you post a thread about how to get that done ? sounds awesome .
http://britishexpats.com/forum/middl...online-842382/