Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

going to Israel FROM Doha and back

going to Israel FROM Doha and back

Old Jan 4th 2016, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute
Default going to Israel FROM Doha and back

Hi all

I have to go to Israel from Doha and I am resident in Doha (Italian passport). Did any of you ever go to Israel from Qatar, and what has been your experience in passing the borders, for entering both countries? did they let you in Qatar without problems? Did they let you in Israel without problems? (my passport has the Qatar residence visa sticker on the 4th page)

I am aware that the Israeli authorities don't stamp the visa on the passport - my concern is to buy the flight. Qatar airways don't sell tickets for TLV, if you buy on edreams or expedia you find flights with Amman or Istanbul as connection, which are good, but do the authorities really let you go?

thanks

primularossa
Old Jan 4th 2016, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of
Default Re: going to Israel FROM Doha and back

You CAN'T fly directly from Doha to TLV. All people I know who go there they fly to Amman and cross the border from there. You can also fly from Amman or from Cairo to TLV. As for entry I don't think it is a problem either in Qatar or in TLV. However, you may be asked some silly questions at TLV airport.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! I know that there are no direct flights, but QA website does not allow to buy a flight with TLV as destination even passing through Amman. Other websites as Expedia or edreams do allow you to buy such a ticket, using QA and Royal Jordanian flights.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I had colleagues in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia who several times went to Jerusalem via Amman. Just make sure that no stamps from "The Zionist Entity" appear on your passport.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

EastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud ofEastWest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by primularossa
Thanks! I know that there are no direct flights, but QA website does not allow to buy a flight with TLV as destination even passing through Amman. Other websites as Expedia or edreams do allow you to buy such a ticket, using QA and Royal Jordanian flights.
I recommend you buy separate tickets.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 6:32 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

As you mentioned, Israel does not stamp passports at Ben Gurion Airport. Rather they scan the passport and issue a temporary ID card and then issue another card at departure. So, there will be no Israeli stamps to cause concern. However, I understand that you have to be careful with the Jordanian or Egyptian stamps. If there is an Egyptian exit or entry stamp from say, the Taba border crossing, it is pretty obvious there was travel to or from Israel.

I am informed that the Jordanians do not endorse passports over the Allenby/Hussein bridge.

I just took a look at my own US passport -- there are no Israeli notations, but I note that the stamps show two sets of entry and exit from Shengen. I wonder if it would invite questions from countries which take askance with travel to and from Israel.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks a lot to you all for your comments.

So, it is granted that Israel do not stamp the passport, so this is not an issue.
At the end my only concerns are:

- will the Qatar residency sticker on the passport prevent me to enter in Israel?

- will it be a problem, for exiting Qatar and for exiting Israel, to have a flight ticket to/from Tel Aviv bought via, let's say, Expedia or Edreams, with a QA flight to Amman and then a Royal Jordanian flight from Amman to Tel Aviv and vice/versa?

- Will it be better if I don't use QA and fly with, let's say, Turkish Airlines or Egypt Air?

thanks, primularossa.

PS:
In more detail:
The problems I see are:

- will the Israeli authorities let me in, due to the fact that my passport has not only many entries into Qatar (this is not a problem), but also the Qatar residency sticker on it?

For sure they will question me. But they cannot forbid me to enter the country. I have nothing to hide. I am aware of the fact that they can keep you for hours at the entry / exit gates, I already passed this "nice" experience in the past, in better moments (when Itziak Rabin was alive), and travelling from/to Italy to Tel Aviv! I am aware that now it can be only worse.

Exit stamps: If I FLY from Amman or Cairo to Tel Aviv there should be no problems. I can exit the airport for going elsewhere. Italians do not need a visa for entering Israel.

I would avoid to go from Amman / Cairo to Tel Aviv by car/bus etc. Mainly because in these uncertain times (see the news of the past two days) these borders could be closed at any moment. Maybe to fly to Tel Aviv is better.

I understand that it could be better to buy two separate flight tickets and check out / check in again in Amman, but:

1) it will cost me a lot of money
2) if the first flight is late, I will not have time to check out / check in again and I will risk to miss the connection.

So, can I avoid to buy two separate tickets or I will be in trouble to go to che Check in in Doha with a ticket to Tel Aviv? The check in is run by the flight carrier employees (Qatar Airways if I fly to Amman) and not by the police. At the check-in I will get two boarding passes and I will show only the first one (to Amman) at the security check at Doha airport and vice/versa while leaving from Tel Aviv.

About passport visa: I have an Italian passport. If I go through Amman, I don't need a Jordanian transit visa. The same if I go through Istanbul. I have to check about Cairo.

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
As you mentioned, Israel does not stamp passports at Ben Gurion Airport.
(...)
However, I understand that you have to be careful with the Jordanian or Egyptian stamps. If there is an Egyptian exit or entry stamp from say, the Taba border crossing, it is pretty obvious there was travel to or from Israel.

I am informed that the Jordanians do not endorse passports over the Allenby/Hussein bridge.

I just took a look at my own US passport -- there are no Israeli notations, but I note that the stamps show two sets of entry and exit from Shengen. I wonder if it would invite questions from countries which take askance with travel to and from Israel.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

see my answer below
Originally Posted by primularossa
Thanks a lot to you all for your comments.

So, it is granted that Israel do not stamp the passport, so this is not an issue.
At the end my only concerns are:

- will the Qatar residency sticker on the passport prevent me to enter in Israel?
NO
- will it be a problem, for exiting Qatar and for exiting Israel, to have a flight ticket to/from Tel Aviv bought via, let's say, Expedia or Edreams, with a QA flight to Amman and then a Royal Jordanian flight from Amman to Tel Aviv and vice/versa?
No idea

- Will it be better if I don't use QA and fly with, let's say, Turkish Airlines or Egypt Air?
Possibly. Although I don't recommend Egypt Air. If you have one leg with QA you can't resolve issues in case of delay as your final destination is TLV.
thanks, primularossa.

PS:
In more detail:
The problems I see are:

- will the Israeli authorities let me in, due to the fact that my passport has not only many entries into Qatar (this is not a problem), but also the Qatar residency sticker on it?
Not a problem at all
For sure they will question me. But they cannot forbid me to enter the country. I have nothing to hide. I am aware of the fact that they can keep you for hours at the entry / exit gates, I already passed this "nice" experience in the past, in better moments (when Itziak Rabin was alive), and travelling from/to Italy to Tel Aviv! I am aware that now it can be only worse.

Exit stamps: If I FLY from Amman or Cairo to Tel Aviv there should be no problems. I can exit the airport for going elsewhere. Italians do not need a visa for entering Israel.

I would avoid to go from Amman / Cairo to Tel Aviv by car/bus etc. Mainly because in these uncertain times (see the news of the past two days) these borders could be closed at any moment. Maybe to fly to Tel Aviv is better.
Non-Jordanian and Non-Palestinian use a different entry point between Jordan and Israel, which is always open. It is less than an hour from Amman to the border by car.
I understand that it could be better to buy two separate flight tickets and check out / check in again in Amman, but:

1) it will cost me a lot of money
2) if the first flight is late, I will not have time to check out / check in again and I will risk to miss the connection.
If you don't like going by car from Amman, then you can book a transit flight with other airline than QA. i.e. Turkish airlines, not sure about Royal Jordannan but you can call them in Doha and ask them
So, can I avoid to buy two separate tickets or I will be in trouble to go to che Check in in Doha with a ticket to Tel Aviv? The check in is run by the flight carrier employees (Qatar Airways if I fly to Amman) and not by the police. At the check-in I will get two boarding passes and I will show only the first one (to Amman) at the security check at Doha airport and vice/versa while leaving from Tel Aviv.
You don't want separate tickets to avoid any delay or cancellation problem. If you have one booking with one leg via QA then the problem of delay or cancellation -in case it happened- will not be resolved. QA will not recognize the connection and will not consider it as one booking. My advice is to avoid QA or to check carefully with Expedia or the place where you want to make the booking.

About passport visa: I have an Italian passport. If I go through Amman, I don't need a Jordanian transit visa. The same if I go through Istanbul. I have to check about Cairo.
You can get a visa at Cairo Airport for US$15. I would travel via Amman rather than Cairo though.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold

I think you are overthinking. I would fly. Royal Jordanian, Egyptair or Turkish would do the trick. Also buying an 'odd' route could be understood from Israeli or Qatari authorities like you are trying to hide something.

Bear in mind that they are changing rules for borders. If I recall correctly, now Jordan asks for a prearranged visa for everybody if you are crossing from Israel (quite stupid since that basically puts away some tourists to Petra).

The major issue will be when leaving TLV. Your Qatar thing will raise some questions and for sure your luggage will be screened for explosives very extensively.

In any case, they have changed the process at TLV a bit, making it a bit friendlier. Now it is quicker and more centred on explosives than on endless questioning, at least if you have a Christian or Jewish name and looks and you have a good story to tell them. If you look or sound Arab or your name is Mohamed it might be quite different, I guess.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever you do, your details will be flagged up to the Security Services in both countries. If that worries you, don't go.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all about suggestions. Actually, although I have nothing to fear and to hide, I have renounced to attend the meeting in Israel: too many problems and uncertainties! :-)