Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Couple of quick questions about getting a Dubai driving licence

Couple of quick questions about getting a Dubai driving licence

Old Jul 28th 2013, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Couple of quick questions about getting a Dubai driving licence

My UAE visa came through today so am now official again and I want to get my driving licence tomorrow if possible

Q1. My Emirates ID hasn't come through yet, I am hearing differing stories on whether I need it for the first application, anyone any very recent experience ?

Q2. Do I need to take the paper copy of my UK licence with me or just the photocard ?

Thanks
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Couple of quick questions about getting a Dubai driving licence

And I know the RTA website says you definitely do need the Emriates ID but have heard if its being processed then they sometimes will let it go hence the question
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
And I know the RTA website says you definitely do need the Emriates ID but have heard if its being processed then they sometimes will let it go hence the question
Think you will probably have to get yourself an eye test in an approved opticians. Don't think DXB police have a photographer/machine these days?
Old Jul 28th 2013, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jim Smith
Think you will probably have to get yourself an eye test in an approved opticians. Don't think DXB police have a photographer/machine these days?
Yep got that in Deira mall this evening but thanks for the reminder

its just the Emirates ID thing that is bothering me
Old Jul 28th 2013, 6:27 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

I do this a few times a week, and so far I have never had any one being turned away. As long as you have the application form for the Emirates ID it's not an issue, you don't need the actual card.

Apart from this you need to bring
Original passport with visa
copy of passport and visa
NOC letter from sponsor
Orginal driving license from whatever country you are from
copy of both sides of this driving license
Eye test (you can do this at the RTA next to MoE)
2 passport pics (or 1 if you already did the eyetest

The whole process doesn't take more than about 15 mins, but when it's busy you'll end up waiting a long time before it's your turn.

They close at 2, and when it's busy they will turn people away from around 1.30 ish.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 11:01 am
Just Joined

emiratesideida.social is an unknown quantity at this point

My UAE visa came through today so am now official again and I want to get my driving licence tomorrow if possible

Q1. My Emirates ID hasn't come through yet, I am hearing differing stories on whether I need it for the first application, anyone any very recent experience ?

Q2. Do I need to take the paper copy of my UK licence with me or just the photocard ?

Thanks
Good day,

If you have any queries regarding your Emirates ID card, don't hesitate to contact us on our facebook page: Emirates Identity Authority (EIDA) or on our twitter account: @EmiratesID_Help.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I have a friend that worked here 1998-2004 and then came back in 2010. he gave his name and date of birth and they just revalidated/printed his old one on the spot. That was before Emirates ID was supposed to be mandatory.

Not sure if this is a return to the UAE or just the region, just picked up on the official again and thought I would throw it in there.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:09 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

just remember that if you get a uae licence youre uk licence isn't valid because youve swapped it for a uae one unless you have a paper one as well in which case you might be alright but it will invalidate your insurance i know this despite what everyone else says if you have a new plastic one you wont be ok and if you have an accident and the insurance doesnt pay out all i can say is i told you so

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Jul 29th 2013 at 3:11 pm. Reason: sorry, ran out of breath
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Hi,

You should still have the piece of paper from the ID card which has the bar code at the top. You should use this in the meantime for anything which you would need an ID card for. It is your proof that you are 'in the system'. You'll also need it to collect your card.

hope that helps.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:36 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
I have a friend that worked here 1998-2004 and then came back in 2010. he gave his name and date of birth and they just revalidated/printed his old one on the spot. That was before Emirates ID was supposed to be mandatory.

Not sure if this is a return to the UAE or just the region, just picked up on the official again and thought I would throw it in there.
you can renew with your old expired Dubai license, but you will still need the Emirates ID (or application form). You will also need to pay 10 dhs fine per month from the expiery date, up to a maximum of 500 dhs.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:41 pm
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
just remember that if you get a uae licence youre uk licence isn't valid because youve swapped it for a uae one unless you have a paper one as well in which case you might be alright but it will invalidate your insurance i know this despite what everyone else says if you have a new plastic one you wont be ok and if you have an accident and the insurance doesnt pay out all i can say is i told you so
is this a British thing? You don't actually 'swap' your orgininal license, you just get a Dubai one and your original license is only considered proof that you are a licensed driver in one of the approved countries. The original license doesn't lose it's validity because you have a second driving from another country?
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks folks many good bit of advice on especially MH

For the record I have a valid Abu Dhabi licence that I can exchange for a Dubai licence without the need for an Emirates ID however it is for car and heavy truck (as I was doing some instructing when I was in AD). What it doesn't have is the motorcycle class that I now want.

And guess what, to add a group to the new Dubai licence I could get I would need the beloved Emriates ID so after discussing this with our fixer, the suggestion was that it was easier to get a new Dubai licence with the wanted groups of car and motorcycle

There is another reason which I wont discuss on a public forum that also made applying for a new licence a better idea and its not fines or accidents or abandoned cars or anything like that before suspicious minds get at play

Thanks again for your help folks, much appreciated

But if I can apply with just the bar code then this is happy days
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

as everything is linked to your passport numbers/visa numbers then it is unlikely that you would be able to get a 'new' driving license if you are already in the system with another DL?
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by emiratesideida.social
Good day,

If you have any queries regarding your Emirates ID card, don't hesitate to contact us on our facebook page: Emirates Identity Authority (EIDA) or on our twitter account: @EmiratesID_Help.
Assuming this is genuine, do you know what the current processing times are ?

I also need it to get an egate or will the bar code suffice again ?

Thanks
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ditzy
as everything is linked to your passport numbers/visa numbers then it is unlikely that you would be able to get a 'new' driving license if you are already in the system with another DL?
I have had 3 passports since I was in AD !! I was filling a 48 page passport up at the rate of one every 9 or 10 months so don't think there will be a link.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.