Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Considering move to Dubai

Considering move to Dubai

Old Apr 13th 2016, 11:18 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering move to Dubai

Originally Posted by Pongo
Despite this being written in the labour law, I know 2 people who have been paid in full for the whole period of their incapacitation which was well in excess of the 30 days; one of them is now approaching 2 months.
Then that is at the discretion of their employer. Companies can exceed the minimums but in the vast majority of cases people get no more than the law stipulates.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Then that is at the discretion of their employer. Companies can exceed the minimums but in the vast majority of cases people get no more than the law stipulates.
Indeed, the same company also pay 30 days basic/year end of service rather than 21.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 12:22 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pongo
Indeed, the same company also pay 30 days basic/year end of service rather than 21.
A generous employer indeed. A rarity in this region.

For the record, Labour Law states 21 days for the first five years (unless leaving of own accord in which case there are reductions) and 30 days after five years to a maximum payment of two years basic salary.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 6:04 am
Just Joined

Old doc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Hello Old Doc. I moved to Dubai at 50 and just left at 58. I am married, but as a more senior (in age) person, might have an insight as to how it might be for you.

The age profile in Dubai is a lot younger than most places and, with difficulties in getting work visas for over 60's tends to very much stop at that age.

Social life revolves a lot around going out to Brunches, but there are lots of other things to do as well - artsy stuff, movies, beach days, concerts, plays, shows. Sport is high profile here with plenty of things to choose from to suit all abilities.

Regards making friends, as Meow says, people are very welcoming as they have all been in the same boat. Younger people you work with will likely also invite you along to things.

I am probably being a little cynical, but proper friendships can be more difficult to find. The majority of the people I worked with were more interested in the shallow stuff than anything more personal.

I would predict that, within a short time you would find things to do. I was divorced when I first came out to the Middle East at 44 but met my 2nd wife in Dubai.

Saving Money? On the money you are talking of (£15k a month? does this include accommodation or not? Decent accommodation will cost you at least £2000 a month). You will save a whole bucketload of cash each year and it WILL make a big difference when you return to UK.

If you want to PM me for anything, please do.

Should you go for it? Absolutely definitely. Good Luck
I think it's 15 all-in, but I haven't seen anything in writing as yet. I heard yesterday that they want to interview me via Skype, so this is promising.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 6:07 am
Just Joined

This is one of the reasons I tell my clients to have a decent emergency fund so they can cover themselves and why critical illness cover it so important.
Critical illness cover - presumably that's something I need to organise out in UAE?
Old Apr 14th 2016, 8:31 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Doc, I was in Dubai / Abu Dhabi for 4 1/2 years in my early/mid 50's, until 3 years ago. Had a hoot.

Culturally it is shallow, morally it is deficient, tastefully it is bling.

However, accept it for what it is, carve out your own niche, mix with those who appreciate similar things, and it's ok. Much the same as anywhere else where you're not actually oppressed.

Have a good time, bank the money, reap further rewards later. JFDI.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 8:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Doc, I was in Dubai / Abu Dhabi for 4 1/2 years in my early/mid 50's, until 3 years ago. Had a hoot.

You didn't look a day over 49 and a half.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
you're only as old as the girl that you feel.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 8:40 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Originally Posted by Millhouse
you're only as old as the girl that you feel.
True friends.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 9:34 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Old doc
Critical illness cover - presumably that's something I need to organise out in UAE?
You will now. Once you have the intention of leaving the UK you cannot get UK cover. We'll talk when you get here.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 5:38 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

You will now. Once you have the intention of leaving the UK you cannot get UK cover. We'll talk when you get here.
I am assuming that you aren't talking about NHS treatment(?). I had a UK health insurance policy which I have now cancelled as I am now back in KSA on a 2 year contract with employers health insurance.

I am assuming that, God forbid, I developed a serious long term illness/condition/injury and had to go back to UK, the NHS would be available.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

Can't see why it wouldn't be.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

We'll talk when you get here.
OK, I'll look forward to that.

I'm rather scared still, at the prospect of moving so far from home to a country which operates along entirely different lines, to paraphrase St Van. I'm hoping this is a normal thing?

The story about the SA doc who was imprisoned for nine months on a spurious murder charge haunts me. The legal system seems a tad capricious.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 6:30 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Old doc

The story about the SA doc who was imprisoned for nine months on a spurious murder charge haunts me. The legal system seems a tad capricious.
I wasn't going to raise that on the assumption that you'd done some research, which you obviously have. If you're referring to the case of the guy who was driving and allegedly insulted another driver, who happened to have some wasta, then yes: the legal system is both capricious and primitive. As in most ME countries, giving offence is a criminal offence, but much depends upon to whom you give offence.

More serious, though, are the admittedly-rarer cases of health care professionals being prosecuted for criminal negligence (or the equivalent) when a wasta'd person dies in the their care. I don't recall any such cases in UAE, it's more the likes of Saudi where such cases have been reported.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 11:54 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I am assuming that you aren't talking about NHS treatment(?). I had a UK health insurance policy which I have now cancelled as I am now back in KSA on a 2 year contract with employers health insurance.

I am assuming that, God forbid, I developed a serious long term illness/condition/injury and had to go back to UK, the NHS would be available.
We're talking about critical illness cover. Once someone has the intention to leave the UK they cannot apply for life or other protection cover from a UK insurer.

The NHS should be available to you if you return to the UK on a permanent basis and are deemed resident. As an expat you are entitled to no more then emergency treatment for free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.