British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Considering move to Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/considering-move-dubai-875679/)

Old doc Apr 9th 2016 10:52 pm

Considering move to Dubai

Hi there. I'm looking at options. I'm 53, NHS hospital consultant in the UK, in my current job for 20 years, and fancy a change of scene. Divorced, two children in higher education here, one of whom lives with me. I have no debts, and quite a good salary by UK standards - between £5-6k/month after all deductions.

I have a sniff of a job in Dubai. I'd be coming over on my own and I guess renting a 1 bed flat somewhere like JBR/marina, or elsewhere. The salary is more than double what I'm getting here - about £15k GBP/month. I don't really "need" the extra money, but it would obviously not be unwelcome.

If I grit my teeth and stay in my current job, I'll do it for the next 6 years until I'm 59-60ish, then retire with a reasonable pension. Or I could come out to UAE for a bit of an adventure, and stash a big pile of cash. The downside being missing my friends & family here. Should I take this step outside my comfort zone? How easy is it to make friends/meet unattached age-appropriate (or even age-inappropriate) women in Dubai?

Thanks for any advice.

jam25mack Apr 10th 2016 5:01 am

Re: Considering move to Dubai

Sounds like a great idea to me! No commitments in the UK and the opportunity of doubling you salary and having an adventure!

Get on it!

The economy is somewhat in a slump but at a guess people still get ill independent of how much cash is about!

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 10th 2016 5:40 am

Go for it.

Millhouse Apr 10th 2016 5:53 am

Loads of people your age here - you'd be fine. Although a fair chunk of them are pacemaker deep inside filipinos who like a fat old white geezer.

DXBtoDOH Apr 10th 2016 6:00 am

I know....

Always a pitiful sight but I keep reminding myself that if they're happy who are we to judge? He gets sex and company, she gets elevated from a lifetime of shantytown poverty. There's probably more honesty and frankness in their relationship than in many western relationships.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11918587)
Loads of people your age here - you'd be fine. Although a fair chunk of them are pacemaker deep inside filipinos who like a fat old white geezer.

On a somewhat related note, Friday night in the Marina. Walking past Byblos hotel. A trio of very pretty Ethiopian/Eritrean girls approached us. Gorgeous hair. Very nicely dressed in an artsy way. In London you'd think they're just another bright young thing/student at art galleries and hipster cereal bars, but these ones propositioned us. Prostitutes. Kind of sad. But what can one do?

Millhouse Apr 10th 2016 6:31 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11918591)
But what can one do?

Stay respectful but pass the opportunity.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 10th 2016 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11918600)
Stay respectful but pass the opportunity.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

"Listen love, I'd love to hang out the back of you but it'll cost not just whatever you charge but half of what I own when the Mrs finds out".

Is that what you mean?

Millhouse Apr 10th 2016 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11918626)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

"Listen love, I'd love to hang out the back of you but it'll cost not just whatever you charge but half of what I own when the Mrs finds out".

Is that what you mean?

"you're very beautiful, but kindly **** off"

:lol:

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 10th 2016 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11918635)
"you're very beautiful, but kindly **** off"

:lol:

I'm only joking obviously. You're right, a polite "thanks but no thanks" is pleasant enough.

Meow Apr 10th 2016 7:42 am

Have you all missed that the OP is a woman?

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 10th 2016 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11918643)
Have you all missed that the OP is a woman?

I read this; "How easy is it to make friends/meet unattached age-appropriate (or even age-inappropriate) women in Dubai" as a single man wondering if there were single women.
:unsure::unsure:

Meow Apr 10th 2016 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Old doc (Post 11918440)
Hi there. I'm looking at options. I'm 53, NHS hospital consultant in the UK, in my current job for 20 years, and fancy a change of scene. Divorced, two children in higher education here, one of whom lives with me. I have no debts, and quite a good salary by UK standards - between £5-6k/month after all deductions.

I have a sniff of a job in Dubai. I'd be coming over on my own and I guess renting a 1 bed flat somewhere like JBR/marina, or elsewhere. The salary is more than double what I'm getting here - about £15k GBP/month. I don't really "need" the extra money, but it would obviously not be unwelcome.

If I grit my teeth and stay in my current job, I'll do it for the next 6 years until I'm 59-60ish, then retire with a reasonable pension. Or I could come out to UAE for a bit of an adventure, and stash a big pile of cash. The downside being missing my friends & family here. Should I take this step outside my comfort zone? How easy is it to make friends/meet unattached age-appropriate (or even age-inappropriate) women in Dubai?

Thanks for any advice.

It is relatively easy to make friends but only if you make the effort to join in various groups and take the step of meeting strangers for coffee/drinks. You'll find that there are loads of people your age and most are friendly as we all remember being new in town.

Have you visited Dubai before? If not I'd suggest a trip to scout things out and see how you feel about it. Who you will be working for can make a massive difference to your experience in the UAE.

Sounds as if you are ready for a new experience. :)

Meow Apr 10th 2016 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11918647)
I read this; "How easy is it to make friends/meet unattached age-appropriate (or even age-inappropriate) women in Dubai" as a single man wondering if there were single women.
:unsure::unsure:

Opps, I think you're right. Very late having my coffee today! :o

Even so it's a bit crass to make all the "hanging out of a Filipina" comments to someone new. It's one of the reasons few new posters hang around...

jam25mack Apr 10th 2016 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11918587)
pacemaker deep

Quote of the day!

Take a bow Millhouse!

Old doc Apr 10th 2016 9:20 am

Hi all, thanks very much for the encouraging words. To clarify, yes I am male!

The thing that scares me most about the potential move is being lonely in a strange town. I am keen to avoid the picture of a sad middle-aged man alone in a bar nursing his glass of beer, if at all possible!

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11918649)
It is relatively easy to make friends but only if you make the effort to join in various groups and take the step of meeting strangers for coffee/drinks. You'll find that there are loads of people your age and most are friendly as we all remember being new in town.

Have you visited Dubai before? If not I'd suggest a trip to scout things out and see how you feel about it. Who you will be working for can make a massive difference to your experience in the UAE.

Sounds as if you are ready for a new experience. :)

I came out to look at a job in Abu Dhabi in November, that one didn't work out. TBH I didn't really take to AD, it seemed a little dull, but having said that I only spent four days there. All I saw of Dubai was from the taxi to the airport, to & fro.