Reload this Page >

Car Dealer-Bahrain

Car Dealer-Bahrain

Old Jan 20th 2015, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

reading_1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Dealer-Bahrain

Dear All,

I have recently gone through a situation in Bahrain which I want to share and seek opinion. For the last couple of months I was searching to buy a Pre-Owned car and finally managed to find one from an individual, who looked genuine. From the beginning, I was trying to avoid Dodgy Dealers. During the course of negotiation, he provided me his business card, which showed his designation to be Finance Manager of a reputed company in Bahrain. I paid him 50bd in advance and made a small agreement on a WHITE Paper, about the advance payment and the agreed price of the car. To initiate paperwork, he requested me to send a copy of my CPR and Driving License, which I sent from my office email address to his personal account (his office account bounced back). We agreed a date to meet at the Traffic Police Station.

He advised me that due to a large number of documentation, it is better to hire an agent. He introduced an agent as the PRO of his company. The agent was not Baharini and most likely to be from TCN. I met the agent at the Police Station, but the Owner did not turn up, stating that he is busy in a meeting. On our way up to the counter, I kept asking him to show the form but he was trying to avoid but finally when we reached the counter, I was desperate and told the officer that before proceeding further I want to look at the form and guess what I found? The owner was someone else and not the guy with whom I was dealing with from the beginning. I almost started shouting at him chasing the agent. He fled the scene.

While flicking through the documents, I found my name on the insurance paper which seems to have already been transferred to my name. I don’t know how this can be possible before purchasing the car.

Anyway, I checked my details at the Traffic Department and it was confirmed that no car has been registered in my name. However, I am still concerned with the insurance.

The agent later called me asking my signature to transfer back the insurance but I completely refused to see him and sign any document.

I spoke to the ‘So Called’ owner of the car after the incident, and he was trying to convince me with his story but finally through quite a lot of email exchange, he confirmed that the insurance has been transferred back to the original owner and the DEAL is over . I tried to call them but no one is picking the phone. Another Dodgy Insurance company.

There are couple of concerns:

a) He has my details, like Copy of CPR and Driving License. Although, through email he has confirmed that the document which I sent to him will be destroyed and will not be used in any illegal purposes. But I can’t trust him. Do you see any problem having a copy of my documents? Can they really do harm with my details. Should I inform the Police.

b) Lastly, what if the insurance is not reverted back. If any accident happens, will I be held responsible? Trying to analyse the Worst case Scenario.

Please let me know your opinion.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 7:41 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Dealer-Bahrain

You think it is safer to buy from an individual than a dealer? What planet are you from?

Anyway so this guy clearly is just a sales agent, ie he is facilitating a sale for someone. Happens all the time in Saudi and Bahrain. The unusual thing is that he pretended to be the owner. Not sure why he would do that. Seems a bit silly.

They transferred the insurance to your name before you bought the car. Normally you would expect that this can't happen, but again it probably isn't too unusual. Also I don't think they could have finalised the transfer (or actually registration to you) without insurance in your name so they tried to help the process out. A lot of the time the insurance companies don't give refunds but rather make the policies transferrable.

Re a) I would be relatively calm. What's he going to do with it? And regardless these are probably not the last copies of important papers that will go amiss in your ME stay. I'm pretty sure I have misplaced around 200 copies of my passport, CPR, Emirates ID, iqama, UAE visa and so on over the last 5 years.

Re b) insurance is on the car not the person. If they don't transfer it back you are the only one who can claim so that would be a bit shit for the owner. Also as per earlier point I'm not sure they can register the car without a policy in the owners name...
Old Jan 23rd 2015, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

All correct. When I bought my beloved range rover in BAH, I got the insurance changed after the car was transferred. By the time I returned to sell it we had to transfer the insurance before we could re-register. Stuff changes all the time
Old May 16th 2015, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

reading_1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, following on from my previous post and the responses received, I have now bought a Used Car from a renowned Car Dealer in Bahrain. Something occurred to my mind which I should have checked before purchasing the car, that is, if there is any pre-existing loan on the vehicle. I know it is too late but if there is any way to check any loan on my car which may have been passed on to my without my knowledge. The dealer did all the paperwork and I only signed the Vehicle Transfer papers, so I wouldn't know the exact process. However, I believe there must be process in place (in the traffic directorate) which will allow all these checks before making any transfer. Obviously, I did not sign any bank related papers(Only Insurance and traffic Directorate Vehicle transfer form). I am trying to be cautious in this part of the world. Your opinion would be much appreciated.