Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Old Jun 5th 2012, 6:27 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can't afford Abu Dhabi...

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
You could go with that offer IF you got a housing allowance and school fees paid.
At the very least with the school fees paid. Possible to pay own rent if willing to live in an apartment in Dubai and do that awful commute.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 6:38 am
Banned

Jamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the roughJamworld is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Meow
At the very least with the school fees paid. Possible to pay own rent if willing to live in an apartment in Dubai and do that awful commute.
Glad to see so many seasoned expats giving me good advice. Makes me feel important. If I can get the school fees paid for, I sure would be making significantly more than I currently do at home. Not sure if I will be able to live the life of luxury that many of you afford though.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamworld
Glad to see so many seasoned expats giving me good advice. Makes me feel important. If I can get the school fees paid for, I sure would be making significantly more than I currently do at home. Not sure if I will be able to live the life of luxury that many of you afford though.
Most of us don't live a life of luxury darling But the standard of living is much better here than in the UK.
Please make sure that you know how much school fees are out here before you accept a sum.
You also need to check..I heard that some companies, especially govt. were insisting that people stay in AD and are not allowed to live in Dubai, in which case you need to look at schools in AD.
Ask the HR next time you speak to them about this.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't matter if school fees are paid for or not, just make sure they pay you enough all in. If they only want to do a consolidated packaged then be prepared for that- you simply can't negotiate for things they can't give.

Anyway, I think 35k would be the absolute minimum... I'm not saying that will be nice.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Most of us don't live a life of luxury darling
I think it is pretty fair to say that you do though.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I think it is pretty fair to say that you do though.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tuition 6K (for 2)
How old are the kids? 36k AED/ year per kid could only cover <5 year old fees. After that they go up a lot.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:03 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

To be brutally honest life on the breadline in the UK would be better than life on the breadline in Dubai/AbuDhabi. As Patsy has said there is NO safety net. School fees have to be paid (usually way in advance) - our school fees were 7500 per month for two - six and eight year old. They go up according to age. And uniform is not generally cheap. Cost me 200 quid for the absolute basics for two kids as the uniform is usually very specific per school.

You really can't get into debt and it is bloody expensive to get set up. Plus, that commute is harsh (did it) so you need a decent car that can get you out of trouble if need be. It's not like an hour's commute down the A1.

Plus it's quite expensive to do things with the kids. You need to budget that in. Yes there are free beaches and parks but from may until October you will want to be in some nice air conned entertainment.

I know the money can look good on paper, but it's very expensive living when you are with a family. Any chance of you doing on your own for a bit? Four sets of school fees will set you back 200,000 dhs a year, not including all the extras you'd need... If they can pay the school fees and a decent car allowance you're already looking more comfortable.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lullabelle
To be brutally honest life on the breadline in the UK would be better than life on the breadline in Dubai/AbuDhabi. As Patsy has said there is NO safety net. School fees have to be paid (usually way in advance) - our school fees were 7500 per month for two - six and eight year old. They go up according to age. And uniform is not generally cheap. Cost me 200 quid for the absolute basics for two kids as the uniform is usually very specific per school.

You really can't get into debt and it is bloody expensive to get set up. Plus, that commute is harsh (did it) so you need a decent car that can get you out of trouble if need be. It's not like an hour's commute down the A1.

Plus it's quite expensive to do things with the kids. You need to budget that in. Yes there are free beaches and parks but from may until October you will want to be in some nice air conned entertainment.

I know the money can look good on paper, but it's very expensive living when you are with a family. Any chance of you doing on your own for a bit? Four sets of school fees will set you back 200,000 dhs a year, not including all the extras you'd need... If they can pay the school fees and a decent car allowance you're already looking more comfortable.
Just 2 kids darling xx
Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I'm moving to the UAE later this year to work for Mubadala. Salary is 63K GBP. Out of that I have to take care of my own expenses for a family of four. Medical and dental is provided along with 22 days vacation; and supposedly there is an annual bonus ok 8K GBP. So I've browsed the site in an effort to determine the best places to live, I've already determined that Abu Dhabi is too expensive, hence, the decision to commute from Dubai. I'm budgeting for no more than 110K AED on a 3 bedroom. Besides Al Jumeirah and Umm Sequm, what other places would you suggest, and is 110K being too cheap? Thanks for your advice.
Bottom line: 63k GBP plus school fees = doable (but you won't live the life you think you will.) 63k GBP all in = not at all doable for a family of 4 and you would be best advised to keep well away. You will actually lose money coming out at that figure......

All the best with whatever you decide to do.....
Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I have some anecdotal data on salaries in Mubadala. If the data is to be believed, the (Emirati) receptionists' monthly salary is higher than what you have been offered.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Have you considered living in Al Ain and commuting - many people do. You will get a nice villa for 80K per year (have a look at alainexpat dot com) and schools and utilities are cheaper.

We pay 2.2AED per cubic metre for water, and maximum 500aed for electric in the summer, for a 3 bed villa - and we are paying less than 80k for our rent.

Check out the "living in al ain" thread on this forum - but use the "search thread" facility or you will still be reading it at the end of the month!
Old Jun 5th 2012, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
How old are the kids? 36k AED/ year per kid could only cover <5 year old fees. After that they go up a lot.
My company pays for my colleague's two kids school fees - they go to JESS, one is 16 and the other is 14 - for both kids approx £8k per term.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Ask if the bonus was paid this year, when you are negotiating.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
I have some anecdotal data on salaries in Mubadala. If the data is to be believed, the (Emirati) receptionists' monthly salary is higher than what you have been offered.
I did wonder the same thing. This sounds very much like a local package that has been offered to westerners on the (bonus) off chance that they will take it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.