Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

British Curriculum Primary Schools in Abu Dhabi

British Curriculum Primary Schools in Abu Dhabi

Old May 6th 2013, 4:11 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default British Curriculum Primary Schools in Abu Dhabi

There is a TA in our school moving to Abu Dhabi. Children moving to Years 1 and 3.

Does anybody know which are the best schools to apply to.

She is looking for something similar to JESS, DESS, Jebel Ali.

Thanks

Last edited by Victor Meldrew; May 6th 2013 at 4:11 pm. Reason: spelling
Old May 6th 2013, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Curriculum Primary Schools in Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
There is a TA in our school moving to Abu Dhabi. Children moving to Years 1 and 3.

Does anybody know which are the best schools to apply to.

She is looking for something similar to JESS, DESS, Jebel Ali.

Thanks
oooooh she is going to struggle, long waiting lists for the lower years. for primary schools then you have bsak (which is the same as jess/dess etc), yasmina, muna, pearl, mushrif all aldar schools, bisad run by nord, cambridge high school run by gems, a new gems cambridge international school (may have spaces) and a new one again called Reach British School (may have spaces) and then you have brighton college (entrance test) and a new repton school is due to open (entrance test).
Old May 7th 2013, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

If she is looking for a job (I'm assuming TA means Teaching Assistant), then Brighton College has just advertised for people wanting to be TAs. Not sure if that would also help her to get a place for her children...
Old May 7th 2013, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

VenExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Friends, what about the kids who doesn't speak English as mother tongue? what is the typical process to get a school spot?

I supposed that they should study English first and then apply in the school, but I have read in some others forum, that it is not strictly necessary because the kids can enrols to the school without have a English proficiency and they will be learning the language meanwhile they study their respective grade… is that true?.

Regards!
Old May 7th 2013, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VenExpat
Friends, what about the kids who doesn't speak English as mother tongue? what is the typical process to get a school spot?

I supposed that they should study English first and then apply in the school, but I have read in some others forum, that it is not strictly necessary because the kids can enrols to the school without have a English proficiency and they will be learning the language meanwhile they study their respective grade… is that true?.

Regards!
if you are going to a british curriculum school it is taught in english, so english is a requirement, the same will be with the american curriculum etc. you can apply to the local schools now as an expat but again its taught in arabic so arabic must be proficient.
Old May 7th 2013, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by archie159
If she is looking for a job (I'm assuming TA means Teaching Assistant), then Brighton College has just advertised for people wanting to be TAs. Not sure if that would also help her to get a place for her children...
usually working as a ta doesnt get you any preference with admissions only if a teacher etc.
Old May 7th 2013, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

if you are going to a british curriculum school it is taught in english, so english is a requirement, the same will be with the american curriculum etc. you can apply to the local schools now as an expat but again its taught in arabic so arabic must be proficient.
Hi Busybee.

That sounds obvious and that's why I'm confused. Some Latin-American and Spanish expats states that they enrolled their children in the school without be English proficient, specially if they are small kids. I have to research which those schools are and what curriculum they have.
Old May 7th 2013, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by VenExpat
Hi Busybee.

That sounds obvious and that's why I'm confused. Some Latin-American and Spanish expats states that they enrolled their children in the school without be English proficient, specially if they are small kids. I have to research which those schools are and what curriculum they have.
german school here is in german, french school here is in french and so on
Old May 7th 2013, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

American International School (AIS) takes people whose English isn't necessarily as good, or the Canadian School.

Victor,

Places are tough to get. Where will she be living?

(in a very subjective order)
Off Island schools are:
Al Yasmina, BISAD, Gems, Canadian School

On island
Brighton College, Pearl, Al Khubairat (BSAK), Al Muna.

I believe Repton is opening on Reem Island and is only starting with upto Year 1 or something, which could take the pressure off earlier years?
Old May 7th 2013, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

So far, I haven't contacted any school, but once I receive my offer and the visa process starts, I will get in touch with some school, specially those located near Khalifa City A, in order to get information about de admission process and the language proficiency.

I read that GEMS Cambridge School provide English course for kids and maybe that would help the get a spot in the same school after the kids finish the course.