Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any BAE Riyadh people in here ?

Any BAE Riyadh people in here ?

Old Sep 20th 2016, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

SHeap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any BAE Riyadh people in here ?

I've been offered a job out there. On the surface it seems pretty tempting but then, the further I dig down the less attractive it becomes.

I'm completely split with the decision to leave the family at home and come out and earn some savings. With the uncertainty of getting a job back in the UK at the end of it.

The adventure part sounds great but the reality/day to day part sounds not so good.
It seems like a much better experience is had by those living in Dubai or AD.

You guys are living the dream - would you disrupt family life for some savings or does it not really work out that way in the end?
Old Sep 20th 2016, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any BAE Riyadh people in here ?

you will save money in Riyadh - on account that there is nothing to spend it on.

How long you can sustain being bored shitless and without your family is your call.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Unaccompanied is tough and can put your marriage at risk. How badly do you want that tax-free salary ? As someone who spent many years in KSA I would say only go if you really have to. Or if you can take dependants.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 3:59 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

The dream of not being paid?
Old Sep 21st 2016, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Its do-able on your own for a fixed term eg two years. BAE will give you three trips home a year as 'bachelor' status, so around every 15 weeks you can get to see the fam. But, as others have said, Riyadh is as dull as dishwater. I'm assuming you'll be on Salwa, so there is just about enough to keep you sane on there, but is akin to 'Little Britain' and attracts a certain mindset, be prepared for that.
Old Sep 21st 2016, 6:58 am
Just Joined

SHeap is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool, thanks for your replies.
After much deliberating and investigation I'm going to let this one go.
I only had a week to make the decision, so maybe I'm just being overly cautious.

The only attraction was the money and it turns out I'd be liable for tax for the rest of the year and then again for the part year I left.

Also the lack of Facetime on top of all the other negatives was one thing too many.

I salute you brave souls; you're either completely barking mad or made of stronger stuff than I am.

atmna lk ywma tyba