Reload this Page >

Advice needed - moving to Dubai

Advice needed - moving to Dubai

Old Sep 9th 2015, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Roxie.21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed - moving to Dubai

Hello all,

I was hoping i could please get some advice on moving to Dubai.

My boyfriend and I are looking to move to Dubai February 2016. I am a recruitment cosnultant and have heard that I will not find it too hard to find a job.

I'm just a bit worried about my boyfriend, he is a Paint and Decorator and has run his own business before. I have been told that generally Filippino and Indian nationals are usually hired as Paint and Decorators and paid a low salary? Although he has no experience working in a Office environment, he would be more than happy to start.

Please can anyone give me any advice on what he should look for work wise and whether there are any courses he could complete that could help him to find a job.

I look forward to hearing your comments!

Thank you in advance

Roxie
Old Sep 9th 2015, 12:06 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed - moving to Dubai

A degree, then 3+ years of experience.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

He could become a recruitment consultant or a financial planner.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Wealth manager surely?
Old Sep 9th 2015, 1:34 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roxie.21
Hello all,

I was hoping i could please get some advice on moving to Dubai.

My boyfriend and I are looking to move to Dubai February 2016. Co-habiting if you're not married is illegal, although many do it. I am a recruitment cosnultant and have heard that I will not find it too hard to find a job. The market's in slow-down, it may not be that easy. Are you niche?

I'm just a bit worried about my boyfriend Is he called Kevin?, he is a Paint and Decorator and has run his own business before. I have been told that generally Filippino and Indian nationals are usually hired as Paint and Decorators and paid a low salary? Absolutely correct. Way below UK minimum wage and with often awful conditions. Although he has no experience working in a Office environment, he would be more than happy to start. Good attitude, but why would anyone employ him? Filipinas make excellent office support: most have degrees, will work long hours for low pay, and look nice.

Please can anyone give me any advice on what he should look for work wise and whether there are any courses he could complete that could help him to find a job. As per my previous comment, unless he, too, has some niche speciality in addition to painting and decorating.

I look forward to hearing your comments! That's overly optimistic.

Thank you in advance

Roxie
Sorry to sound harsh, but the above is a fair reflection of Dubai. All the points I've made have been discussed numerous times in the Middle East section of BE (apart from the Kevin bit), so you could try some searching to find more detailed answers. I don't know about your own job prospects, but I would hazard a guess that unless you're niche (and that niche is directly applicable to the business environment in Dubai) then you'll need to find a job before you come out.

Good luck, coz you're going to need it.

Last edited by Bahtatboy; Sep 9th 2015 at 1:40 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 10:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Sorry to sound harsh, but the above is a fair reflection of Dubai. All the points I've made have been discussed numerous times in the Middle East section of BE (apart from the Kevin bit), so you could try some searching to find more detailed answers. I don't know about your own job prospects, but I would hazard a guess that unless you're niche (and that niche is directly applicable to the business environment in Dubai) then you'll need to find a job before you come out.

Good luck, coz you're going to need it.
What he said.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 2:45 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I don't know why I talk to you...
Old Sep 11th 2015, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Sometimes I don't know why I talk to you...

Old Sep 13th 2015, 7:55 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Probably just to annoy you.
Old Sep 13th 2015, 9:45 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

On a serious note, yeah what BB said!
Find a job before u land please.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Mas008 is an unknown quantity at this point

At least if one of you can land a job before coming here it will be a lot easier.. do any of you have any qualifications? Etc... job market is a bit tight atm due to the fierce competion from the Philippinos who will do any thing for a far lower salary. Get your boyfriend to do a 120 hour tefl course or a NVQ level 3 in retail or fashion as it is a industry which is for casted to grow.. ( this my first ever post ) � ����� ����
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Move to Dubai....sound great, but without a job sounds dumb!!
Why exactly have you chosen Dubai over say a move to another city in the UK, or elsewhere??
Do not wish to sound harsh, but you really need to have things squared away here with a job, somewhere to live etc before considering a move...and I would have thought there is a glut of Recruiters here.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 6:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Beckham went there and said he liked it ?
A painter and Decorator from the UK would have no chance of competing against Asian Labour. Do not even think of going unless you have a job and think your partner can talk his way into something.
Unlikely.

Last edited by scot47; Oct 2nd 2015 at 6:31 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 10:02 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you can live on one salary, and use the 2nd salary as a savings/rainy day sum, forget it...