Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Do some KSA positions "require" an expat and others not?

Do some KSA positions "require" an expat and others not?

Old Oct 7th 2015, 2:20 am
Just Joined

fielding is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do some KSA positions "require" an expat and others not?

I'm in discussion with a US engineering company for a position in Riyadh. Early in the conversation they stated that "this particular position does not require an expat, so, the pay allowance is lower". I'm not sure what to make of this. I'm not sure if this is just a negotiating technique, or if this is a real issue that will effect my negotiating position. Can anyone shed any light on this? Any advice on how I should deal with this going forward? I have a friend who is currently working for this company and has good things to say about them. Thanks!
Old Oct 7th 2015, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all
Default Re: Do some KSA positions "require" an expat and others not?

If you provide details of the position being discussed then you're more likely to get an accurate reply
Old Oct 7th 2015, 6:24 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fielding
Any advice on how I should deal with this going forward?
Do you ever go backwards? Have you invented time travel? You are always going forwards.
One of my real bugbear phrases! Previously it was 'at this time'.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 6:45 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Reading between the lines, Id say he means it does not require a white expat, therefore you are getting the sub-continent rate..
Old Oct 7th 2015, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

Yes TGFKASE is right, this is a negotiating trick just to remind you gently that, although the company would like to hire a Westerner, many capable candidates from the Subcontinent or nearby Arab countries could do this job for quite less.

What it really means is you should accept what they offer and don't bother about benefits etc. if you feel they really want you then be adamant on what you ask and don't give in.

A company in Qatar did this to me, they even bought me the ticket to go for an interview, the package was a cash all in inclusive package and although I was there all day there was no mention of the salary at all....In the end I had their PRO calling me and bargaining over the phone, it was ridiculous, I just regretted that my conduct was civil with them.