Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi: Why is everyone driving faster than me?

Abu Dhabi: Why is everyone driving faster than me?

Old Sep 7th 2014, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi: Why is everyone driving faster than me?

Originally Posted by Fossildog
I am understanding. The tunnel splits, left exits to the Corniche beside the Sheraton, right goes to Mina. There is a sharp bend before you exit the tunnel to Mina and the speed limit drops to 50kph and so I drop my speed to 70kph and like I say, have driven through at 20kph over the posted limit for months now with no fines. There does seem to be a lot of confusion over speed limits in tunnels, would be good of the RTA to come out with a definitive statement as to wether the buffer is in place in tunnels.
yeh by god he has it...... thats my point a lot of people will get a fine there as they may well be continuing to drive at say 80!
Old Sep 7th 2014, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

FTR I am routinely over 60 (it is 60 not 50) as I exit the tunnel on Mina side. I haven't had a ticket but sometimes see flashes. There is a flashing sign that appears in the wing mirror and I've wondered if I have mistaken it for a camera flash.

Saw one person get caught at night and the camera lit up the sky like the aliens were coming. Opposite side though so can't report the speed.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 4:51 pm
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by al dente
FTR I am routinely over 60 (it is 60 not 50) as I exit the tunnel on Mina side. I haven't had a ticket but sometimes see flashes. There is a flashing sign that appears in the wing mirror and I've wondered if I have mistaken it for a camera flash.

Saw one person get caught at night and the camera lit up the sky like the aliens were coming. Opposite side though so can't report the speed.
50 round the bend then 60 once you are past the first camera. The same camera must cover the other side where the limit is 80, so pretty clever technology assuming it works.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 5:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

50 round the bend then 60 once you are past the first camera. The same camera must cover the other side where the limit is 80, so pretty clever technology assuming it works.
did think it was 50 on the bend. and then signed 60 for the rest of the time. there are two cameras along there one for each side i believe.
Old Sep 7th 2014, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to beholdBeakersful is a splendid one to behold

Interesting, I've been completely missing the 50kph signs it appears.

Still, I've been flashed 3 times in the UAE now (twice in that tunnel) and yet to be fined.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

No, there are 2 cameras there, and at neither is it 80! The one closest to the tunnel covers the road going into it. The signed speed at the camera is 60, though about 10 meters later (closer to the tunnel) it drops to 50.

The camera covering the tunnel exit road is about 50 meters further away from the tunnel. The signed speed limit there is 60 (the 50 limit is just at the bend, then it goes up again). It doesn't go up to 80 till a little later.

I've seen both flash quite often, but always I've been coming the other way. I tend to pass both of them at exactly 60 (measured by satnav), as I've also been told that there is no buffer on the tunnel cameras. However, I've had people overtake me a little above 60 when passing the cameras and they did not seem to get flashed as far as I could tell, so I think that there probably is a buffer.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by archie159
No, there are 2 cameras there, and at neither is it 80! The one closest to the tunnel covers the road going into it. The signed speed at the camera is 60, though about 10 meters later (closer to the tunnel) it drops to 50.

The camera covering the tunnel exit road is about 50 meters further away from the tunnel. The signed speed limit there is 60 (the 50 limit is just at the bend, then it goes up again). It doesn't go up to 80 till a little later.

I've seen both flash quite often, but always I've been coming the other way. I tend to pass both of them at exactly 60 (measured by satnav), as I've also been told that there is no buffer on the tunnel cameras. However, I've had people overtake me a little above 60 when passing the cameras and they did not seem to get flashed as far as I could tell, so I think that there probably is a buffer.
i also think there is a little bit of a buffer on the tunnel ones, but not 20