Abu Dhabi offer

Old May 30th 2015, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

techboy786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Abu Dhabi offer

Hello everyone,

I am new here, so apologies in advance if I am in the wrong thread.
Couldn't find anything else

Got an offer for a Job in Abu Dhabi after 2 years of trying very hard.

Offer is very simple, 129.000 AED
Basically with every single thing included 10.750 AED a month

My wife, 1 yo baby and me will be there, if we accept it.

In it, we have health insurance, car allowance, housing allowance, 2 months temporary accommodation paid from company, flight allowance.
Based on my calculations it would be ok to live there.

Technical Retail Position will be the first

I was looking for a studio flat in cheap areas, ie. Khalifa City and MBZ.
It would roughly cost 25k +- 3k a year with W/E included in the rent. (ca.2500pm)
Car would cost me 1500pm and petrol about 170 pm (ca 1670pm)
Grocery 800 pm
Personal Care 450 AED
Laundry 160AED
Sim card 125 AED
Internet 400 AED
baby expenses 850 AED
Total= ca. 6955 AED (10750 - 6955 = 3795AED)
just give another 1800 on top of it, in case prices change or we spend a bit more on something) still 2 k left

Am I being realistic or can i just say no to the company? No further negotiation possible though.

Thanking you guys in advance for your advice.
Old May 31st 2015, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi offer

It is half what you need to live here as a family. Unless you are looking for a very simple existence and a stir-crazy wife.
Old May 31st 2015, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

I agree - far too little to live on comfortably. If that salary also includes flights home (which you imply it does), then those expenses are missing from your calculations.
You also say that that amount includes health insurance - I assume you do not need to pay for it out of that salary (?), as by law employers are meant to provide it. However, be aware that there will certainly be an excess payment every time you go to the doctors, which might be 50 AED a shot... with a baby, you might be going more regularly, and that cost will start to add up. Dental might well not be covered at all, and that is also expensive.
I am no expert on studio apartments in KCA etc, but you will definitely get very little for that amount of money (25k), and if you do find something at that rate then it is guaranteed to be noisy, dirty, and cramped.
800AED per month for groceries strikes me as far too little, especially with a baby.

I would say no to this unless you are truly desperate back in the UK.
Old May 31st 2015, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated!

The packages are included in my monthly pay.
10750 with all packages paid out monthly.
I will just email them and reject the job offer.
Don't want to struggle over there when I have no money issues here.
I was just looking for the UAE experience. Retrial would be completely new to me coming from an office job.

It's so hard to find something in the UAE.
Old May 31st 2015, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You made the right decision.

For a family of three, you need 20-25k for a basic life. You'd find most in that situation are on 40k+
Old May 31st 2015, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
You'd find most in that situation are on 40k+
Speak for yourself.
Old May 31st 2015, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mentalist
Speak for yourself.
not really
Old May 31st 2015, 11:06 am
Just Joined

thank you all for your answer! You have made it easier for me to reject.
It is much better to hear the answer from people like you as you have already got experience in the UAE.
Would be bad for my family to live a very simple and tight life. Nobody wants that.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 11:37 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by techboy786
thank you all for your answer! You have made it easier for me to reject.
It is much better to hear the answer from people like you as you have already got experience in the UAE.
Would be bad for my family to live a very simple and tight life. Nobody wants that.
Right decision. I lived there for 4 1/2 years, on my own with everything paid for, and 5k a month was easy to burn.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Zubinho is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are really keen on a teaching job in Abu Dhabi why not apply to the Abu Dhabi Education Council (ADEC). My wife applied via Teach English Abroad: Teach Abroad with Footprints Recruiting. ADEC are always looking for teachers, assuming you are a British National. She had 6 years experience post PGCE in the UK and is earning AED 15,000 plus they put you in nice accommodation. They will place you in an apartment on Al Reem Island or Rihan Heights which in its self will set you back AED 80,000 to 100,000 per annum, included in the package. Plus all the other benefits you mentioned as well as a relocation allowance.

The only problem is that, being a man, you would be teaching local boys...