Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Government Housing Qatar

Government Housing Qatar

Old Jun 11th 2013, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

kingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the rough
Default Government Housing Qatar

Hi all,

As part of my offer i am being offered government housing.

Does anyone know anything these sorts of accommodation , i.e is it in just one place or is it all over the city, is it a flat, is it mainly expats who live there, are they generally nice or will it be similar to living in an episode of rising damp.

Basically if you know anything at all it would be really helpful.

It wont make a difference to me taking the post as i don't like to bother with vital and perceptive questions that could really impact my life and have already accepted the offer . It would just be interesting to know.
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:01 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Government Housing Qatar

Originally Posted by kingsbury100
Hi all,

As part of my offer i am being offered government housing.

Does anyone know anything these sorts of accommodation , i.e is it in just one place or is it all over the city, is it a flat, is it mainly expats who live there, are they generally nice or will it be similar to living in an episode of rising damp.

Basically if you know anything at all it would be really helpful.

It wont make a difference to me taking the post as i don't like to bother with vital and perceptive questions that could really impact my life and have already accepted the offer . It would just be interesting to know.
I live in government housing and its best described as simple. There are many different areas and massive differences in quality. If you come as single status you will get a 2 bed if you are married 3 bed minimum or villa. They should give you choices - don't take the first ones offered!
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

kingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the roughkingsbury100 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I live in government housing and its best described as simple. There are many different areas and massive differences in quality. If you come as single status you will get a 2 bed if you are married 3 bed minimum or villa. They should give you choices - don't take the first ones offered!
Thanks Brit, coming as a single and that's great news about getting a a 2 bed as all of a sudden i have become extremely popular back in Blighty, nothing to do with the free accommodation im sure.

Simples good for me , dont need much just internet and maybe a tv.
Are they normally flats and if so are they full of expats or is it a mix between us and locals ? Also are they generally in one area or are they all over Doha ?
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Brit, coming as a single and that's great news about getting a a 2 bed as all of a sudden i have become extremely popular back in Blighty, nothing to do with the free accommodation im sure.

Are they normally flats and if so are they full of expats or is it a mix between us and locals ? Also are they generally in one area or are they all over Doha ?
Sorry just re read your answer and you put in about the areas
Old Jun 11th 2013, 2:45 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

0 locals mate. Depends on what government company you are with. Some are mostly staffed by arabic staff and as such you will live amongst them. If they are mostly western you will be with more of them. Most people keep themselves to themselves to be fair.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Tell him about the shoes! lol
Old Jun 12th 2013, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Theseus
Tell him about the shoes! lol
free pair of shoes with every government housing ?
Leave them outside and the magic shoe fairy gives them a ruba dub dub ?

Tell me more i'm intrigued
Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:42 pm
Shark Fisherman

free pair of shoes with every government housing ?
Leave them outside and the magic shoe fairy gives them a ruba dub dub ?

Tell me more i'm intrigued
Reasonably close. The people opposite have decided that the hallway is their shoe rack.......
Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Reasonably close. The people opposite have decided that the hallway is their shoe rack.......
Every now and then you should 'borrow' a pair and replace them with exactly the same make , just half a size smaller
Old Jun 12th 2013, 3:57 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Every now and then you should 'borrow' a pair and replace them with exactly the same make , just half a size smaller
Or ask your neighbour if you can use the laces to make an escape rope in the event that you fall over the shoe rack during an emergency.

Old Jun 13th 2013, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

How about one of their shoes mysteriously going on holiday for a week at a time and reappearing - nothing more annoying than having only one shoe! Throw out the odd one and the other reappears. They would soon relocate shoes back inside apartment....... mwahahaha (evil genius laugh)
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

omega7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Government Housing Qatar

Hi All,

I'm starting a new thread on the subject, as the previous one (with an identical name) has now been closed (a moderator could however merge the two).

So I have received an offer in Qatar that stipulates the provision of Government Housing (without the option of a housing allowance that would allow me to rent a flat on my own).

My question is if anyone lives in or is aware of what this type of housing is like? Is it dedicated compounds/blocks (if so any names/locations?) Is it just flats randomly allocated in regular/ordinary residential blocks (i.e. open to ordinary citizens/expats)? Are these units assigned to governmental companies, so essentially all e.g. X company's employees are within the same block of flats etc?

I understand I have some choice i.e. I don't have to take the first one shown to me. However, does anyone have any tips/suggestions that would help me best navigate the allocation process?

From the previous thread I understand that britexpat76 and kingsburry100 should live (or previously lived) in government housing so I'd welcome their comments/advice.

Additionally if anyone else has any info or can point me to the right direction, please let me know. Thanks!