Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

48 h/week, is it worth it

48 h/week, is it worth it

Old Jul 25th 2016, 3:39 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 48 h/week, is it worth it

FWIW, I took 60+ hours per week for a 30%+ uplift, and I consider it a good deal.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

My contract does state 48 hours and the typical week is 45 hours. But there are plenty of weeks when I put in a lot more, including weekend work.

I'm fortunate enough that the company grants me days in lieu for weekend work so I use it to travel a lot.

As others have said, if you are in a higher paying job, whether professional or not, you're expected to be flexible with the hours required. I don't think there's any company in the world that will look kindly at you saying, sorry, already put in 40, 45 or whatever hours this week so I'm done, when you have a deadline due and unfinished work.

If that's an issue, the obvious answer for you is a civil service role.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Malhoof is an unknown quantity at this point

Putting some extra hours now and then to finish a work that is normal, if it continue like that then we are hiring extra staff to do the extra work, nothing for free. Bosses are not paid overtime, however their benefits and bonuses are also not the same

The companies in UAE are not giving higher salaries, they are giving your home salary and assuming you are saving the tax !!! working week 48h vs 40 no issue !! Any company there matching one payement for the pension !!

I didn't see in the forum when discussing a package offer, anyone considering this as a factor in comparing remuneration, only accommodation and transportation are considered.

So if the law in UAE changed to be 55h/week working, it is all ok with you guys ?!!!
Old Jul 26th 2016, 4:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Malhoof
@Millhouse... I am Canadian. The question was "is it worth it", not about working hours,
Hang on.

Canadian or 'Canadian'? Were you born and raised in Canada?
Old Jul 26th 2016, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Hang on.

Canadian or 'Canadian'? Were you born and raised in Canada?
Malhoof could be a derivative of the Lebanese family name - i would punt OP is of arabic descendancy.

OP why dont you just base your max salary here and divide it by the number of contracted hours - i.e. $23.5 per hour (if you take the $203k for the number of business days and minus the holidays)
Old Jul 26th 2016, 5:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The OP has a definite sense of "Entitlement". Sounds like a UAE or KSA National !
Old Jul 26th 2016, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malhoof
@Millhouse... I am Canadian. The question was "is it worth it", not about working hours,

so to put the question in a different way "The offer is 30% increase in salary with 20% increase in work" would one take that offer ?? without taking other factors which could make it 20-20

I understand any one working in UAE is having a better situation there than working back home for that person case, without talking about nationality..
Hard for me to judge really, compared to the UK, I'm paid significantly more than 30% (ignoring the tax). I also have a 7min commute in a comfy car vs. 1hr 15 on trains. If I work a few more hours in the office (which I don't) they would be offset by this.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Charl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond reputeCharl01 has a reputation beyond repute

I get the feeling the OP is looking for a reason not accept the offer, well besides being *****ing lazy
Old Jul 26th 2016, 6:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Hard for me to judge really, compared to the UK, I'm paid significantly more than 30% (ignoring the tax). I also have a 7min commute in a comfy car vs. 1hr 15 on trains. If I work a few more hours in the office (which I don't) they would be offset by this.
Since changing office locations and contract (with same firm) I now work an extra hour a day.

Fortunately, the office is on my doorstep (literally) so I actually leave later and get home earlier every day anyway.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

KJinDoha is an unknown quantity at this point

I am shocked to read of such long working weeks.
I though that the GCC is known as a place with a better work life balance and a more relaxed psyche. That was one of the reasons behind my move. Perhaps, with that basis, I am looking around with rose tinted glasses.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJinDoha
I though that the GCC is known as a place with a better work life balance and a more relaxed psyche. That was one of the reasons behind my move. Perhaps, with that basis, I am looking around with rose tinted glasses.
60 hour week is the norm for me here .
Old Jul 26th 2016, 8:34 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Saturday to Thursday
Start 7am - Finish 17:45/18:00
Work/Eat through lunch
Roughly 60 hours a week working, plus 45min drive in the morning.
I am ****ed atm!

Edit
And i have a work phone that must be on 24/7 and so must all my replies etc. I once got an email Thursday night 10pm, Mr Iggles, I need this by Friday Lunch time - Urgent...
Old Jul 26th 2016, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

dayummm, you guys really do pull in the long hours....the hours you guys mention ie 50 plus with weekends thrown in on a regular basis - I did when I was first started my career.
I work Sun-Thurs...I get in the office around 9ish and am out of the door 4.50ish to avoid the 5pm exist traffic..sometimes I go off in the afternoon for 1-2 hrs to do personal errands lol....I have a barely 10-15 min commute.
Definitely feeling blessed Alhumdulillaah
Old Jul 26th 2016, 9:35 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
dayummm, you guys really do pull in the long hours....the hours you guys mention ie 50 plus with weekends thrown in on a regular basis - I did when I was first started my career.
I work Sun-Thurs...I get in the office around 9ish and am out of the door 4.50ish to avoid the 5pm exist traffic..sometimes I go off in the afternoon for 1-2 hrs to do personal errands lol....I have a barely 10-15 min commute.
Definitely feeling blessed Alhumdulillaah
and you spend all day flirting with me!
Old Jul 26th 2016, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJinDoha
Work Life Balance is unheard of here in KSA. Government jobs are quite short hours in comparison, but pay is shit, compared to the private sector, unless you're the CEO or something.

Private sector expect you to consider work coming before anything else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.