Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Move or not - Abu Dhabi salary package..

Move or not - Abu Dhabi salary package..

Old Oct 28th 2010, 10:15 am
Just Joined

bs69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Move or not - Abu Dhabi salary package..

just want to get some opinions/ideas on cost of living in AD for the faimly of 6, at the moment i have the following in my budget (annual);

housing (villa - 4 bed), 170k
schools, 180k
Food, 60k
utilities (all inlc, elec, gas, water, telehone, cable), 60k??
2 cars (will buy 3 years old 4+4, petrol, maintenace and insurance), 20k not sure on this??
other insurances 20k
clubs/kids activities 60k
other misc 60k

will this work?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bs69
just want to get some opinions/ideas on cost of living in AD for the faimly of 6, at the moment i have the following in my budget (annual);

housing (villa - 4 bed), 170k
schools, 180k
Food, 60k
utilities (all inlc, elec, gas, water, telehone, cable), 60k??
2 cars (will buy 3 years old 4+4, petrol, maintenace and insurance), 20k not sure on this??
other insurances 20k
clubs/kids activities 60k
other misc 60k

will this work?
20k on 2 cars, nope dont think so old 4x4 may still cost you 40/50k insurance could be something like 3k x 2 petrol has gone up again, maintenance costs are high compared to uk (and rubbish)
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

bs69 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks bb, 20k for the year on cars was for maintenace, petrol and insurance (not including purchasing cost of cars).

the other idea was to leave the kids/family back here in uk as they are pretty good setteld in schools etc and i come myself to AD and visit home every 2 months. I would prefer to bring the family after 6 months though.

My wife is an accountant and if she can find the work in AD then she can work but we will have to pay for maid and driver (can you get this help part time and how much this will cost?)
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bs69
thanks bb, 20k for the year on cars was for maintenace, petrol and insurance (not including purchasing cost of cars).

the other idea was to leave the kids/family back here in uk as they are pretty good setteld in schools etc and i come myself to AD and visit home every 2 months. I would prefer to bring the family after 6 months though.

My wife is an accountant and if she can find the work in AD then she can work but we will have to pay for maid and driver (can you get this help part time and how much this will cost?)
sponsoring a maid what about 20k a year a lot anyways, driver similar. i would say that you should leave them behind as its going to be difficult to get into schs, you will have better luck applying for next year.