Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Move or not - Abu Dhabi salary package..

Move or not - Abu Dhabi salary package..

Old Oct 21st 2010, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

sunsolaris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move or not - Abu Dhabi salary package..

I'm currently living in the States and have been offered a job in Abu Dhabi with a starting salary of AED26,500 per month, car allowance of AED 5000, an accommodation allowance of AED 21,000 and a school allowance of AED6700 each for my two kids only I have total 4. So I will be paying for 2 my own.

Phone/Utilities= 900 permonth, they also offer me AED 55,000 One time for relocation plus they will pay all Visa fees and Air Tickets ....Plus 35 days vacation and flight to home etc...

Is this enough to live a comfortable life with my wife and 4 kids and still put enough away to save for the future?

Can anyone give me an actual breakdown of what I could expect to pay monthly. I do not need a life of excessive luxury, but I do like my creature comforts.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move or not - Abu Dhabi salary package..

Originally Posted by sunsolaris
I'm currently living in the States and have been offered a job in Abu Dhabi with a starting salary of AED26,500 per month, car allowance of AED 5000, an accommodation allowance of AED 21,000 and a school allowance of AED6700 each for my two kids only I have total 4. So I will be paying for 2 my own.

Phone/Utilities= 900 permonth, they also offer me AED 55,000 One time for relocation plus they will pay all Visa fees and Air Tickets ....Plus 35 days vacation and flight to home etc...

Is this enough to live a comfortable life with my wife and 4 kids and still put enough away to save for the future?

Can anyone give me an actual breakdown of what I could expect to pay monthly. I do not need a life of excessive luxury, but I do like my creature comforts.
Will you have to pay Uncle Sam some dues when you are away?
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

No tax becuase tax only apply if your basic salary avove 100k.
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

No tax becuase tax only apply if your basic salary avove 100k.
Is the 5k car allowance and the 6k school allowance per month or per year?
Old Oct 22nd 2010, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

These are per month allowances, So I will get a check for 60,000 AED included all allowances.....
Old Oct 24th 2010, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

xpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nice

Try to negotiate your base salary higher as this will affect your end of service gratuity. Schools in Abu Dhabi are quite high compared to Dubai. Depends on your kids' age, you can spend a fortune for their education.

Do they offer your annual tickets home allowance? It's standard.

Good Luck
Old Oct 24th 2010, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

These are per month allowances, So I will get a check for 60,000 AED included all allowances.....
Difficult to comment on salary and benefits unless we know the area of work.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 10:40 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I seem to have found this a bit too late.

Your package is 720K for the year which is just about $200K USD. By American standards that's a nice income. Of course if you live in DC or New York or Boston or California, it's a very ordinary income.

You will have to pay *some* taxes as I think the cut off limit is 180K for a couple, so anything above 180K will be taxable. School fees and housing allowances are deemed income by Uncle Sam and cannot be exempted from your income.

All in all, you will be ok in Abu Dhabi. But you won't save as much money as you may anticipate, especially not after factoring in the cost of two more school fees.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 10:59 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno about the tax issues, but I second Ethos' view that you'll be ok. BUT it does depend on how you live your life--one man's frugal is another man's lavish. It would certainly be easy to burn through all your money (extravagent second car, club memberships, plenty of meals out, jet skis and so on), and equally possible to live conservatively and save some money (but almost certainly not as much as you expect). Make sure the company pays for (or gives you an allowance for) medical cover for all your family.

Good luck
Old Oct 24th 2010, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Dunno about the tax issues, but I second Ethos' view that you'll be ok. BUT it does depend on how you live your life--one man's frugal is another man's lavish. It would certainly be easy to burn through all your money (extravagent second car, club memberships, plenty of meals out, jet skis and so on), and equally possible to live conservatively and save some money (but almost certainly not as much as you expect). Make sure the company pays for (or gives you an allowance for) medical cover for all your family.

Good luck
in abu dhabi the company has to provide medical cover for all the family but only for 3 children i believe.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

xpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nicexpatadventure is just really nice

Dear Busybee2,

Just to confirm, health insurance is free for employee and his family if work in AD? Do you know that it includes dental?

Thanks
Old Oct 24th 2010, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xpatadventure
Dear Busybee2,

Just to confirm, health insurance is free for employee and his family if work in AD? Do you know that it includes dental?

Thanks
not necessarily dental, a lot of them do not. they have to provide medical cover but it doesnt have to be good, just basic thats all. but each company is different, we have been here years and have been through many providers as they keep switching them to get a better deal. but no they have to provide you medical insurance but it may only cover at government hospitals etc nothing fancy
Old Oct 24th 2010, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd say 60k / month isn't enough to live in AD with 4 kids even if schools fees are covered for 2 of them.

Housing and school fees are expensive. You will be wanting a big house for all those kids with a garden. Nothing here will compare to what, I assume you have, in the US.

BB2 will jump in at this point and say ... "but you can live in MBZ for 160k". If you are coming from the US you will not be prepared to live in MBZ... if you are coming from SE Asia you will be.
Old Oct 24th 2010, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I'd say 60k / month isn't enough to live in AD with 4 kids even if schools fees are covered for 2 of them.

Housing and school fees are expensive. You will be wanting a big house for all those kids with a garden. Nothing here will compare to what, I assume you have, in the US.

BB2 will jump in at this point and say ... "but you can live in MBZ for 160k". If you are coming from the US you will not be prepared to live in MBZ... if you are coming from SE Asia you will be.
some of the places in mbz arent that bad. but you could live in al reef for a lot less.
Old Oct 25th 2010, 12:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks for everyine prompt response, here is some more information. Medical is covered for the whole family, I already discussuing renting a Villa in Al-reef for 135k Yearly. Kids are not going to American School so the fees will be little less.. I think for 130K Yearly for the all 4 kids. We are bringing our own cars from US along with with ever we can fit in one 40 ft and one 2o ft container. My company is paying for all relocation costs.

So this is what I have line out my fix expanses:

Housing 11250 AED Monthly
School 11250
Car Patrol / Maintenance = 6500 (2 cars)
Monthly Groceries = 5000
Phone= 1500
Club = 1500
Misc = 5000

I think possible saving may be 5-6K AED Monthly........

Any Thought?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.