Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > ME Job Discussions
Reload this Page >

Advice for Skype interview for a position in Doha

Advice for Skype interview for a position in Doha

Old Jan 11th 2015, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

UK92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Advice for Skype interview for a position in Doha

Hi Everyone, I have been reading the forum for quite a while and have just signed up as I am looking for some advice.

I have applied for a position with an engineering consultancy in Doha and I have been invited to a Skype interview in a couple of weeks - does anyone have any advice on what to expect or how to prepare?

I understand that my interview will not be with HR but with the hiring manager. If i was to be successful with the Skype interview, what would the next steps likely to be?

Any advice Appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2015, 8:29 am
Just Joined

kdx2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice for Skype interview for a position in Doha

Take it easy & Good luck - People won't see what you're wearing /or not wearing below your waistline.

Last edited by kdx2000; Jan 14th 2015 at 8:42 am.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep, my wife interviewed in a suit and comfy slippers!

We set her iPad up on a painting easel which worked well. You want to avoid being slumped over a laptop.

The hardest thing to deal with is drop outs in audio on Skype. They will be well aware of the limitations of real-time international video calling, so better to just calmly say "sorry, the audio dropped there for a second, can you repeat the question?" rather than try and work out what they might have just asked!

Also, work out if you're the type of person to move/sway about while talking. The more you move, the worse the video quality will be as the more data is required.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Advice for Skype interview for a position in Doha

Thanks for the responses - appreciate it

I think il just wear a suit, knowing my luck if I just wear a shirt and tie with my joggers on underneath il need to stand and up or swim thing midway through.

Do you look into the camera to make eye contact. Or look at the person on the screen?

Thanks
Old Jan 15th 2015, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Robert 46 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would prepare as for a normal face to face interview, certainly in terms of dress code. Had one a few weeks ago, seemed strange at first but you'll soon get into the swing of it. Most difficult thing is if there is more than one person carrying out the interview, which means the screen is constantly being moved to bring them into shot. Thing to remember is that it is just as difficult for them.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Robert 46
I would prepare as for a normal face to face interview, certainly in terms of dress code. Had one a few weeks ago, seemed strange at first but you'll soon get into the swing of it. Most difficult thing is if there is more than one person carrying out the interview, which means the screen is constantly being moved to bring them into shot. Thing to remember is that it is just as difficult for them.

Thanks for your reply. Yeh i am preparing as much as I can as if it was face-to-face interview. Pretty sure it's only the one guy interviewing too.
Old Jan 16th 2015, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

We do skype interviews a lot. It'll be a bit more stilted than a face-to-face interview. Practice speaking a fraction more slowly than normal (unless you are already a slow speaker), and definitely ensure you speak clearly. Try to get the lighting correct in advance - I've done a few where, until we stopped and told the interviewee to change his set-up, all we could see was the silhouette of the candidate against a brightly lit wall behind. Finally, and I'm sure all this is obvious (though it is amazing how many people don't think of it), ensure your laptop is in the best possible place for wifi reception if that is what you are using, and turn off anything else sharing your internet connection.
Old Jan 18th 2015, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Interview seemed to go ok I think. went smoothly thankfully. Was more technical and less behavioural than I thought which I think I preferred!