Starting Our Journey

Old Aug 20th 2016, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

AU9518 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Starting Our Journey

Hi Expats!

My fiance and I are getting married next year and will be using the K1 visa. We have read the Wiki but would like more clarification on a few steps.

I am a USC and he is a UKC.

We are aware the first step is for me (the USC) to file the I-129F petition. Does the I-129F need to be posted to my local US office or the London Embassy?

With this I-129F package I know we will need to submit passport sized photos however will they both need to be US sized or UK sized and will he need to send me his passport photo for me to send with the package or is this something he will need to do separately?

As for the passport page copies will they only need stamped pages or does "all pages" include blank pages as well?
Old Aug 20th 2016, 10:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting Our Journey

Originally Posted by AU9518
We are aware the first step is for me (the USC) to file the I-129F petition.
Correct.

Does the I-129F need to be posted to my local US office or the London Embassy?
If you're living in the US, it goes to the Dallas lock box. The specific address is on the USCIS web site.

With this I-129F package I know we will need to submit passport sized photos however will they both need to be US sized or UK sized and will he need to send me his passport photo for me to send with the package or is this something he will need to do separately?
If he can get US-sized photos, that would be best - and there are many places in the UK where they'll do that. He will need to send you a photo, and an original signed G-325A. Have you looked at the instructions for the I-129F (which is a separate form from the I-129F)?

As for the passport page copies will they only need stamped pages or does "all pages" include blank pages as well?
All pages includes blank pages... but most people submit only the used pages without issue.

Ian
Old Aug 20th 2016, 10:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Expats!

My fiance and I are getting married next year and will be using the K1 visa. We have read the Wiki but would like more clarification on a few steps.

I am a USC and he is a UKC.

We are aware the first step is for me (the USC) to file the I-129F petition. Does the I-129F need to be posted to my local US office or the London Embassy?

Have you read the I-129F instructions found at www.uscis.gov?

Rene
Old Aug 20th 2016, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

When we sent off our package my fiancé (USC) sent in her passport photo which was obviously US sized and we used one of my passport photos which was UK sized. We didn't get a request for evidence but we were definitely nervous that we may get one for not having both photos US sized so I'd definitely heed Ian's advice and get him to send over some US spec passport photos.

Best of luck!
Old Aug 20th 2016, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the passport photo booths (like in Boots, Tesco etc) that i've seen have a "US Visa" option that produces photos to the US spec - albeit usually a few pounds more expensive.

A copy of the front and back of the US petitioner's birth certificate will also suffice (instead of the passport photocopy). It's much less pages to photocopy.

Last edited by tom169; Aug 20th 2016 at 11:33 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2016, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your replies it is much appreciated.

I was wondering for those BE members that had planned a wedding how did you go about choosing a date and how far in advance were you able to fully plan a wedding without knowing a date.

I'm aware visa timelines can vary but can anyone tell me the timelines that K1's are currently being processed?

We are looking at having a wedding in June 2017 do you recommend starting the process ASAP or waiting as I understand once a medical is done you have 6 months to enter is this correct?
Old Aug 21st 2016, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking at having a wedding in June 2017 do you recommend starting the process ASAP or waiting as I understand once a medical is done you have 6 months to enter is this correct?
Start the process right now - immediately - by submitting the I-129F and all the supporting evidence required. It'll take 8-10 months for your UKC fiancé to get the visa. If you start now and you're lucky, you'll have the wedding in June 2017. Immigration is a 2-step process... it'll take 4-5 months to get approval for the I-129F and another 4-5 months for your fiancé to get the visa. He won't be having a medical until about January or February next year... so there will be plenty of time if you're aiming for June.

Don't make any firm wedding plans until he has the visa.

Ian
Old Aug 21st 2016, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Start the process right now - immediately - by submitting the I-129F and all the supporting evidence required. It'll take 8-10 months for your UKC fiancé to get the visa. If you start now and you're lucky, you'll have the wedding in June 2017. Immigration is a 2-step process... it'll take 4-5 months to get approval for the I-129F and another 4-5 months for your fiancé to get the visa. He won't be having a medical until about January or February next year... so there will be plenty of time if you're aiming for June.

Don't make any firm wedding plans until he has the visa.

Ian
Thanks for the reply Ian

Within this I-129F am I being assessed on my income at all as I have just started a new job and don't have a lot of pay stubs though I do meet the above 125% of poverty guidelines?

I also notice that you can fill out the PDFs online and then print them off (of course signatures need signed by pen) is this allowed or do you recommend to complete all forms by hand?
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 12:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Within this I-129F am I being assessed on my income at all....
Not within the I-129F, no. The Affidavit of Support form I-134 comes at a much later date (he'll take it to the interview). So yes, your income is assessed, but not alongside the I-129F.

... as I have just started a new job and don't have a lot of pay stubs though I do meet the above 125% of poverty guidelines?
The I-134 doesn't use the same I-864P guidelines (there is no set dollar amount you need to be earning for the I-134), but since you are above that amount anyway, you'll be fine.

I also notice that you can fill out the PDFs online and then print them off (of course signatures need signed by pen) is this allowed or do you recommend to complete all forms by hand?
You can type on the PDF form and print it out. As you know, the signatures must be original.

Rene
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering for those BE members that had planned a wedding how did you go about choosing a date and how far in advance were you able to fully plan a wedding without knowing a date.
For myself and the other half we decided to marry straight away at a courthouse and begin filing for AOS. To avoid family drama we have insisted in only parents and siblings coming to this.

We have then planned for a large ceremony next year.

Flexibility is the name of the game with this process. There are averages, but in the end there are plenty of anomalies too.

Type where ever possible to avoid any misinterpreted hand writing. The beneficiary will need to provide some details for the form, but remember that dates etc are to be in US format.

Before submitting take a copy of the entire pack. This is good for a backup, in case of tragedy, RFEs and to have a quick skim through before the interview. I (beneficiary) had a copy and my USC Fiancee also had a copy.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Same as above, our plan is just to get married in a courthouse or Vegas with some very close friends and then have a 'proper' ceremony later in the year so we can begin filing for AOS.

Again as Tom said, you can type and print off the forms but signatures have to be wet. We don't have a copy of our I-129F as my fiancé sent it off in a bit of a hurry without photocopying it so definitely take a backup as we're trying to figure out how to get around the fact we don't have a copy!

Processing times vary massively, some people waiting 80+ days for the steps between NOA1 and NOA2 and some wait 50 days. If all goes to plan I would imagine you'd have your visa in hand February/March time!
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Not within the I-129F, no. The Affidavit of Support form I-134 comes at a much later date (he'll take it to the interview). So yes, your income is assessed, but not alongside the I-129F.

The I-134 doesn't use the same I-864P guidelines (there is no set dollar amount you need to be earning for the I-134), but since you are above that amount anyway, you'll be fine.

You can type on the PDF form and print it out. As you know, the signatures must be original.

Rene
Thanks Rene

Originally Posted by tom169
For myself and the other half we decided to marry straight away at a courthouse and begin filing for AOS. To avoid family drama we have insisted in only parents and siblings coming to this.

We have then planned for a large ceremony next year.

Flexibility is the name of the game with this process. There are averages, but in the end there are plenty of anomalies too.

Type where ever possible to avoid any misinterpreted hand writing. The beneficiary will need to provide some details for the form, but remember that dates etc are to be in US format.

Before submitting take a copy of the entire pack. This is good for a backup, in case of tragedy, RFEs and to have a quick skim through before the interview. I (beneficiary) had a copy and my USC Fiancee also had a copy.
Thanks we are going to type it out and then sign as mentioned and will make copies for our own records. I think a courthouse marriage may be the route we opt for due to the uncertainty of how long these things can take.

Originally Posted by BenK91
Same as above, our plan is just to get married in a courthouse or Vegas with some very close friends and then have a 'proper' ceremony later in the year so we can begin filing for AOS.

Again as Tom said, you can type and print off the forms but signatures have to be wet. We don't have a copy of our I-129F as my fiancé sent it off in a bit of a hurry without photocopying it so definitely take a backup as we're trying to figure out how to get around the fact we don't have a copy!

Processing times vary massively, some people waiting 80+ days for the steps between NOA1 and NOA2 and some wait 50 days. If all goes to plan I would imagine you'd have your visa in hand February/March time!
Thank you we will make copies of our completed forms, here is hoping it goes quickly!

Currently I am looking at the G-325a form and I notice there is a family name for father and only a maiden name option for the mother? I have included my mothers former surname (maiden name)

Also for employment history the first row allows you to enter your present job as the Date To field says "Present Time". Though if you have two jobs would you complete it in the next row and leave the month/year To blank as it this job is also present?

My fiancee's nationality is British though for city and country of birth does it matter whether it is put example Manchester, England or should it be Manchester, United Kingdom.

Furthermore any fields that do not state for me to type None do I still write N/A in them or leave blank only.

Bottom left box tick Status as PR

I also noticed on the I-129F question 34a it asks how you met your fiance. I searched online and found various responses as to how much to write due to the limited space is this specifically the first interaction or the first face to face encounter?

In short we met online and then face to face a couple months later, do you state all meets and mention the engagement?

If I were to write a few short paragraphs do I do this on a word document and just write see attached document or is there another supporting document that is used for this information?

One last thing do I need both my US birth certificate (front and back) copies and every page of my U.S Passport or is only one needed, I was going to include passport pages that showed my visits.

Last edited by AU9518; Aug 22nd 2016 at 2:59 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Currently I am looking at the G-325a form and I notice there is a family name for father and only a maiden name option for the mother? I have included my mothers former surname (maiden name)

That's how I put it on mine - I guess they presume the mother will have taken your fathers surname?

Also for employment history the first row allows you to enter your present job as the Date To field says "Present Time". Though if you have two jobs would you complete it in the next row and leave the month/year To blank as it this job is also present?

I wouldn't leave it blank - someone with more experience than me will chime in I'm sure but I certainly wouldn't leave it blank.

My fiancee's nationality is British though for city and country of birth does it matter whether it is put example Manchester, England or should it be Manchester, United Kingdom.

Again, on mine it's ****, United Kingdom.

Furthermore any fields that do not state for me to type None do I still write N/A in them or leave blank only.

Bottom left box tick Status as PR

I also noticed on the I-129F question 34a it asks how you met your fiance. I searched online and found various responses as to how much to write due to the limited space is this specifically the first interaction or the first face to face encounter?

In short we met online and then face to face a couple months later, do you state all meets and mention the engagement?

If I were to write a few short paragraphs do I do this on a word document and just write see attached document or is there another supporting document that is used for this information?

On the USCIS website under instructions for I-129F filing it says this:

How To Fill Out Form I-129F
1. Type or print legibly in black ink.
2. If extra space is needed to complete any item, attach a continuation sheet, write your name and Alien Registration Number (A-Number) (if any), at the top of each sheet of paper, indicate the Part and Item Number to which your answer refers, and date and sign each sheet.
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 4:14 pm

The G-325A is not looked at in any great detail. Just answer each question to the best of your ability. No one is going to check the answers.

For the question on how you met, you can be brief. Just say something like "met online in xx month, xxx year. Met in person in xx month, xxx year.

Don't forget you each need to write an original Statement of Intent with original signature. This only needs to state that you are currently single, free to marry, and intend to do so within 90 days of entry on the K1.

Rene
Old Aug 22nd 2016, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

I am looking at the G-325a form...
Let me say this about that... the G-325A is a legacy form left over from the days of the former INS. It value is inversely proportional to the anxiety it causes. IOW, don't worry about it too much, because it's unlikely that anyone will look at it except to note that it's included in the paperwork.

One last thing do I need both my US birth certificate (front and back) copies and every page of my U.S Passport or is only one needed, I was going to include passport pages that showed my visits.
You need either the birth certificate or the passport - but not both. At this point in time you need to prove only that you're a USC. US immigration has no interest in your travel history... it's irrelevant.

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.