Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

question about AOS interview, Miami

question about AOS interview, Miami

Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:46 pm
Anna Ivanova

Default question about AOS interview, Miami

Hi everyone!

I'm so glad I found this forum on the Internet. I find it very helpful. I hope that someone can help me with a few questions for my upcoming interview. My usc husband and I got married last december and the interview came pretty soon...It'll be next month. So...
1. My main concern is that my husband and I didn't really have a wedding ceremony or whatsoever. We only went to the courthouse and signed the marriage application. We don't have any pictures from that day as well. Will this be a big problem? We simply couldn't afford to pay for a wedding. Plus his parents live in a different state and they couldn't come. What is the best answer we should give if they ask us for wedding pictures and details? I think we should tell the truth but I'm still nervous that they wouldn't believe us. Plus I haven't met his parents yet and he has'n met mine either.
2. My husband did't work the year before (2004) so he doesn't have any W2s or tax returns. When we filed for aos in december we sent his tax returns for 2002 and 2003 and a letter with explanation why he didn't file for 2004. he had medical problems and he wasn't able to work at all. We also sent payslips for his current job and a letter from his employer verifying his hours, wages, etc. Do you think it'll be a problem on the interview if they ask about his 2004 tax return? He's my only sponsor. We filed joint return for 2005 so we'll bring it with us.
3. Should we bring my husband's last payslips and a new affidavit or the first one will be enough? He got injured in a car accident last week and now he has a broken arm and an almost broken leg so he would't be able to work for at least 6 weeks. Should we bring his medical papers verifying that he's not working because of the injury?
4. We have a joint checking account and a credit card, phone bills, cable TV, lease, receipts for paying rent. We don't have a car or health or life insurance at all. Will these papers be enough to prove that we are a real couple? We have a bunch of pictures together as well.

I want to thank in advance everyone who could give me advise on these matters.
--
Anichka.

---
posted via:
http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/

Old Jun 21st 2006, 7:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: question about AOS interview, Miami

Originally Posted by Anna Ivanova
1. My main concern is that my husband and I didn't really have a wedding ceremony or whatsoever. We only went to the courthouse and signed the marriage application. We don't have any pictures from that day as well. Will this be a big problem?
It shouldn't be a problem. We also got married at the courthouse and didn't take any pictures. We were not asked about it at the interview.

We simply couldn't afford to pay for a wedding. Plus his parents live in a different state and they couldn't come. What is the best answer we should give if they ask us for wedding pictures and details? I think we should tell the truth but I'm still nervous that they wouldn't believe us. Plus I haven't met his parents yet and he has'n met mine either.
Always tell the truth. That's really the only answer. Why wouldn't they believe you? I don't think meeting the parents is a big deal either.

2. My husband did't work the year before (2004) so he doesn't have any W2s or tax returns. When we filed for aos in december we sent his tax returns for 2002 and 2003 and a letter with explanation why he didn't file for 2004. he had medical problems and he wasn't able to work at all. We also sent payslips for his current job and a letter from his employer verifying his hours, wages, etc. Do you think it'll be a problem on the interview if they ask about his 2004 tax return?
Whether it's a problem or not, just explain the situation, if they ask. You can't provide what you haven't got.

3. Should we bring my husband's last payslips and a new affidavit or the first one will be enough? He got injured in a car accident last week and now he has a broken arm and an almost broken leg so he would't be able to work for at least 6 weeks. Should we bring his medical papers verifying that he's not working because of the injury?
Will he be getting paid during his 6 weeks off? You might want to bring info regarding his current situation, yes, so the officer can see that he will be returning to work, and that he will be getting some kind of payment during his time off.

4. We have a joint checking account and a credit card, phone bills, cable TV, lease, receipts for paying rent. We don't have a car or health or life insurance at all. Will these papers be enough to prove that we are a real couple? We have a bunch of pictures together as well.
Again, you can only bring what you have. If it's not enough, the officer will say so, and give you time to find something else to show later. From the list you gave, it sounds good enough to me, in my opinion.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 21st 2006, 7:40 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone!
1. My main concern is that my husband and I didn't really have a wedding ceremony or whatsoever. We only went to the courthouse and signed the marriage application. We don't have any pictures from that day as well. Will this be a big problem? We simply couldn't afford to pay for a wedding. Plus his parents live in a different state and they couldn't come. What is the best answer we should give if they ask us for wedding pictures and details? I think we should tell the truth but I'm still nervous that they wouldn't believe us. Plus I haven't met his parents yet and he has'n met mine either.http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/
Your situation is almost identical to my AOS. (Also in Miami, successful interview 2004, now awaiting removal of conditions approval). My hubby and I got married at his grandparent's condo, with a family friend (who's a public notary) performing the ceremony, and only 4 witnesses. We had no pics taken. We also never submitted any pics with our AOS package and the question of why never came up in the interview.

2. My husband did't work the year before (2004) so he doesn't have any W2s or tax returns. When we filed for aos in december we sent his tax returns for 2002 and 2003 and a letter with explanation why he didn't file for 2004. he had medical problems and he wasn't able to work at all. We also sent payslips for his current job and a letter from his employer verifying his hours, wages, etc. Do you think it'll be a problem on the interview if they ask about his 2004 tax return? He's my only sponsor. We filed joint return for 2005 so we'll bring it with us.http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/
I don't think this will be a problem, as he can't produce a return that doesn't exist. As long as you take whatever you have, and he can qualify for sponsorship based on his salary.

I'm assuming you've lived together for 6 months or more? If so, and you're working, you can include your salary on the affidavit. I "sponsored" myself, as hubby wasn't able to work because of an injury that kept him from working for a long time. My salary was enough to meet the poverty guidelines, and all the officer wanted was for me to fill out an I-864a and for Corey to write a letter saying why he wasn't working, along with his I-864. (Which didn't have much info on it as he wasn't employed at the time! )

http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/[/url]
Take whatever paperwork you have to show the officer that your lives are co-mingled. Overkill is better, at least you won't have to go back a second time to fulfil their requests before getting your approval. On that note, however, they don't expect you to have EVERYTHING in both names, as sometimes it's not convenient and/or doesn't apply to your situation.

All the best to you.

Kate. xxx

Last edited by katesbackagain; Jun 21st 2006 at 7:45 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 7:41 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

NOORAH!!! That's twice you've beaten me to the post!!!!! Stop it!!!

Kate. xxx
Old Jun 21st 2006, 7:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
NOORAH!!! That's twice you've beaten me to the post!!!!! Stop it!!!

Kate. xxx
ooooops!! hehehe.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 8:23 pm

1. Say the truth. You have to prove that you have a genuine by any
mean. You don't have photos of the wedding, it's ok, so bring something
else, anything that shows that you have a genuine marriage
relationship.
2. If you filed an affidavit of support without your 2005 tax return,
and provided that you beat the poverty level, bring a new affidavit of
support with you to the interview. If you don't beat the poverty level,
bring another one from a co-sponsor.
3. No, that is irrelevant. Once they have an affidavit of support in
good standing, they don't give a damm about your financial situation.
4. Sound like it may well be enough ; but some officer may be more
picky than others. Bring anything you have. "There is not such a thing
as too much evidence"

Anna Ivanova wrote:
    > Hi everyone!
    > I'm so glad I found this forum on the Internet. I find it very helpful. I hope that someone can help me with a few questions for my upcoming interview. My usc husband and I got married last december and the interview came pretty soon...It'll be next month. So...
    > 1. My main concern is that my husband and I didn't really have a wedding ceremony or whatsoever. We only went to the courthouse and signed the marriage application. We don't have any pictures from that day as well. Will this be a big problem? We simply couldn't afford to pay for a wedding. Plus his parents live in a different state and they couldn't come. What is the best answer we should give if they ask us for wedding pictures and details? I think we should tell the truth but I'm still nervous that they wouldn't believe us. Plus I haven't met his parents yet and he has'n met mine either.
    > 2. My husband did't work the year before (2004) so he doesn't have any W2s or tax returns. When we filed for aos in december we sent his tax returns for 2002 and 2003 and a letter with explanation why he didn't file for 2004. he had medical problems and he wasn't able to work at all. We also sent payslips for his current job and a letter from his employer verifying his hours, wages, etc. Do you think it'll be a problem on the interview if they ask about his 2004 tax return? He's my only sponsor. We filed joint return for 2005 so we'll bring it with us.
    > 3. Should we bring my husband's last payslips and a new affidavit or the first one will be enough? He got injured in a car accident last week and now he has a broken arm and an almost broken leg so he would't be able to work for at least 6 weeks. Should we bring his medical papers verifying that he's not working because of the injury?
    > 4. We have a joint checking account and a credit card, phone bills, cable TV, lease, receipts for paying rent. We don't have a car or health or life insurance at all. Will these papers be enough to prove that we are a real couple? We have a bunch of pictures together as well.
    > I want to thank in advance everyone who could give me advise on these matters.
    > --
    > Anichka.
    >
    > ---
    > posted via:
    > http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 6:28 pm
Anna Ivanova

hey, it's me again:))

Thank you so much for your quick reply. You made me feel so much better. We'll prepare a new affidavit stating my salary as well (I've been working for 6 weeks now - ever since i got my EAD). I need to bring my payslips and a letter from my employer too, right? My husband will not be getting paid for these 6 weeks since he doesn't have a disability insurance. We also hired a lawyer who will try to work something out since the accident wasn't my husband's fault. But we most probably wouldn't know until the interview. Anyways, we'll bring everything we have.

Thank you again for your answers.

--
Anichka.

---
posted via:
http://www.visaforyou.org/eng/

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 8:19 pm

We'll prepare a new affidavit stating my salary as well (I've been working for 6 weeks now - ever since i got my EAD). I need to bring my payslips and a letter from my employer too, right? My husband will not be getting paid for these 6 weeks since he doesn't have a disability insurance.
I would try to get a statement or letter from your husband's employer that he WILL indeed be returning to work after the 6 weeks, even though this time off is unpaid. You don't want the officer to think he has no job to go back to. I'm not sure your 6 weeks of work will be enough to convince the officer you qualify on the I-864, without your husband having proof of "ongoing" employment.

Yes, bring your pay stubs and letter of employment, and a new I-864 including your income (if that's what you have in mind). You might also need to fill out the I-864A since your income will be included.

Rene
Old Jun 23rd 2006, 7:36 pm
Brenda Ballard

yes, all I can tell you it is nerves.....I know we had our interview
last May and I was a nervous wreck......we had a big wedding and they
did not ask us for any pictures...or any details about the
wedding.....just tell them the truth and you will be fine

bb