Leaving UK before

Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Ives is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving UK before

I've sent off the I-130 petition for my British husband's Green Card. I'm leaving for the US in 3 weeks, and don't know if I'll have received a receipt for the petition, but I've seen this on here :DCF London - US Immigration Wiki - VisaJourney

Does the petitioner need to remain in the UK until the visa is received?

Nope! The petitioner can make plans to leave as soon as they've received a receipt (NOA1) for their petition. This is actually quite common, as the petitioner often needs to leave ahead of their spouse, in order to meet the domicile requirements.

If I haven't received it before I leave is that ok??
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:44 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving UK before

British husband's Green Card
Immigrant Visa

Yes that's perfectly fine. Indeed, you may never receive a receipt. Some don't. The problem of course comes if it's returned to you for any reason, and then you aren't a UK resident.

Have they taken the payment from your card?

Oh, and to add, don't trust Visa Journey. I learnt first hand with going through the process that much of it is total dross. Here you'll get quick accurate answers, and a side order of acerbic attitude

Last edited by civilservant; Aug 20th 2014 at 11:48 am. Reason: Visa Journey?? Oh dear...
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:44 am
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ives
I've sent off the I-130 petition for my British husband's Green Card. I'm leaving for the US in 3 weeks, and don't know if I'll have received a receipt for the petition, but I've seen this on here :DCF London - US Immigration Wiki - VisaJourney

Does the petitioner need to remain in the UK until the visa is received?

Nope! The petitioner can make plans to leave as soon as they've received a receipt (NOA1) for their petition. This is actually quite common, as the petitioner often needs to leave ahead of their spouse, in order to meet the domicile requirements.

Umm, our wiki instead:

DCF I-130 Filed In London : British Expat Wiki

I think the reason it's suggested you wait until the petition is accepted is in case there's any problems with it and it needs to be resubmitted. You then wouldn't be in the country to do this. Safer to make sure everything's ok before leaving.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Ives is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! They haven't taken the money yet....hopefully soon!