K1 to AOS Queries

Old Sep 6th 2018, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Brownclown is an unknown quantity at this point
Default K1 to AOS Queries

Hi Everyone,

Looking to have a couple of questions answered regarding marrying on a K1 visa and then applying for AOS. For a little bit of background both myself and my fiancee are in our early 20s and she is the US Citizen, a friend of ours has agreed to be a joint sponsor and we have checked that he passes the requirements.

1. Does the I-129F need a joint sponsor, and as such a I-134 filed alongside it? I seem to find conflicting answers about this online.

2. Once the marriage has gone through within the 90 days on the K1 visa, and I-130 has been concurrently filed alongside I-485 and I-134, am I allowed to remain in the country while the AOS is pending? More conflicting answers about this one elsewhere and I don't want to ruin my chances by outstaying a visa.

As far as I understand it, this is the process for AOS and then all is smooth until applying for citizenship, but if I've missed something please do let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Josh
Old Sep 6th 2018, 4:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: K1 to AOS Queries

Hi and Welcome to BE.

1. For a K-1 visa, there's no such thing as joint sponsor. There can only be one financial sponsor, so if your fiancee doesn't meet the requirement, someone else can submit an I-134. That said, the I-134 is not submitted with the I-129F. It's taken to the visa interview.

2. You have 2 paths confused. After entering on a K-1 visa, no I-130 is required. And the Affidavit of Support for AOS is form I-864. But yes, you are allowed to stay while AOS processes. In fact, you shouldn't leave the USA until you have AP in hand.

Rene
Old Sep 6th 2018, 4:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

When doing your research, make sure you are only reading about AOS from K-1 visa.

AOS from other visa types is different.

Rene
Old Sep 6th 2018, 8:14 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
When doing your research, make sure you are only reading about AOS from K-1 visa.

AOS from other visa types is different.

Rene
Also beware of the AOS acronym because it is used to refer to both Adjustment of Status and Affidavit of Support.

Last edited by lizzyq; Sep 6th 2018 at 9:42 pm. Reason: grammar
Old Sep 6th 2018, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Brownclown is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi and Welcome to BE.

1. For a K-1 visa, there's no such thing as joint sponsor. There can only be one financial sponsor, so if your fiancee doesn't meet the requirement, someone else can submit an I-134. That said, the I-134 is not submitted with the I-129F. It's taken to the visa interview.

2. You have 2 paths confused. After entering on a K-1 visa, no I-130 is required. And the Affidavit of Support for AOS is form I-864. But yes, you are allowed to stay while AOS processes. In fact, you shouldn't leave the USA until you have AP in hand.

Rene
Thanks for your prompt response Rene. That all makes perfect sense now so I'll have things in the order they need to be when the time rolls around.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

London allows you to self sponsor.
Old Sep 6th 2018, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
London allows you to self sponsor.
true, if the OP has proof of significant cash savings, an I-134 might not be required. I'd still take one to the interview though, in case the officer doesn't think the OP has enough.

Rene
Old Sep 6th 2018, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

If they are doing a K1 they have a long period to fund without work.