Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

How did you meet the love of your life?

How did you meet the love of your life?

Old Oct 7th 2003, 5:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I met my fiance when I was on vacation in Istanbul 6 years ago. We met briefly, and only knew each other's first names. But I couldn't forget him. We had no contact for the next 4 years, until I went there on vacation again and decided to look him up. Fate really intervened, and wonder of wonders, he was still there, still single, and that spark was still there. After that visit, we decided to stay in touch, and after 2 years of phone conversations and a lot of serious thought on both our parts, we decided to make it permanent. I went back in February of 2003 to get formally engaged, exchange rings, and start the K1 process. :-) For those of you reading from usenet, here's our website:
http://hometown.aol.com/noorah101/my...e/profile.html

I absolutely love it when you follow your heart and it proves so rewarding :-)

Rene (day 82 at NVC)
Old Oct 7th 2003, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I love this topic, it just goes to show that love can conquer even distance, and sometimes things were just meant to be!

I got the opportunity to study in Glasgow for Fall semester of last year, and while there, I wanted to meet lots of locals so I put my profile on a personals site. My Scott came across my profile, and sent me a few emails. I didn't think much at first, just that I'd found a new friend, then when we spoke on the phone for the first time after about 3 weeks, we talked for 3 hours! We went out for drinks, and we've been joined at the hip ever since. We even got the opportunity to spend Christmas and New Years in Spain - a country I've always dreamed of going to!

I came back to finish school in Jan of this year, and he visited me for graduation in May. I went back to visit him in June, and he proposed! We at first decided that it would be best for him to come here, so we started the K1 process, but after further investigation, I am now pretty sure I'm going to go live there!

Thank God for student exchange programs is all I have to say!

Sunny
Old Oct 7th 2003, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

mpd131 is an unknown quantity at this point

We met back in university 6 years ago. He was doing a year abroad in America (from England) and I was a student at the university. We dated that whole year and couldn't bear breaking up when he had to go back home. So we decided to go with the flow. A few years later I was able to study in London for 6 months, where he was working. And now (in 3 weeks), after years of flying back and forth, the two of us are finally going to be together, pretty much for good! We are both going on a working holiday to New Zealand for a year, and will file the K1 papers in the meantime. We'll get married in the States once we come back. I can't wait!
Old Oct 7th 2003, 5:56 pm
Andy Platt

Default Re: How did you meet the love of your life?

"Chessiet" <member@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > After browsing through this board, I've become fascinated with how all
    > these far-flung romances started. I know some people used the Internet,
    > some were from vacations, or through the military, etc...

Deana & I met on a flight - specifically Virgin 22 from Washington Dulles to
London Heathrow. She was going to visit a friend in Cambridge; I was in the
process of moving to the US for work (H-1B visa) and was returning to
complete paperwork. We were sat in the last row (so the seats didn't
recline), our TVs were both pretty crappy and the flight attendant kept
giving us extra bottles of vino un-asked. So, the conversation flowed and, a
month later when I got back into town, I called her and the rest is history.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Oct 7th 2003, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

I met my wife at a party in Washington, DC. She was here for the summer interning at the World Bank. She was renting a room from an on again/off again girlfried of a good friend of mine. When this friend had a party, we were both invited.

The next summer she came back on another J1 visa and the rest is history.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Dekkie and I also met in Everquest, in late October, 1999 - a paladin and a cleric just minding our own business in Rathe Mountains killing hill giants. We struck up a conversation about God, marriage, spirituality, forgiveness, faith -- all in roleplay. By the time that extraordinary roleplay day was done each of us was a RL goner, although of course neither of us was willing to admit it to ourselves, out of the normal fears associated with this process of gaming, until much much later(it took the intervention of a druid friend on Valentines' Day 2000 to force the matter LOL). We met in person for the first time on April 24, 2000 in Los Angeles, California (after our characters were already married in EQ, ending a roleplay that had lasted for what was then 6 months <grin>).

And the rest is history!

Last edited by Dekka's Angel; Oct 7th 2003 at 6:13 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 6:34 pm
shaley74

Originally posted by Dekka's Angel
Dekkie and I also met in Everquest, in late October, 1999 - a paladin and a cleric just minding our own business in Rathe Mountains killing hill giants. We struck up a conversation about God, marriage, spirituality, forgiveness, faith -- all in roleplay. By the time that extraordinary roleplay day was done each of us was a RL goner, although of course neither of us was willing to admit it to ourselves, out of the normal fears associated with this process of gaming, until much much later(it took the intervention of a druid friend on Valentines' Day 2000 to force the matter LOL). We met in person for the first time on April 24, 2000 in Los Angeles, California (after our characters were already married in EQ, ending a roleplay that had lasted for what was then 6 months <grin>).

And the rest is history!

he must have problems of the vision, because I have read your evilness also. Your soul is an ugly place

Old Oct 7th 2003, 6:35 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

My band was playing at a club called, “Nightbreak� on upper Haight Street in San Francisco (this was probably back in 1996), and my roommate at the time (we were just friends) was the female singer in my band (Brynnalee). I told Brynna she should ware a particularly flattering dress to our gig that night. She did.

The shy bass player from Red Hour, another band on the bill that night, took one look at Brynna and asked her out for a date. They started going out and we all became friends. Next thing I knew, Brynna was telling me I had to meet Marc’s sister, Lisa; what a wonderful person she is, and how Brynna thought we would make a terrific couple.

I met the lovely Lisa sometime later. We hit it off, started living together (after dating for a while), and I popped the question to her while on a 3-day cruise during the holiday season. I enjoyed married life very much, and was proud to have the lovely Lisa as my companion in life. Marc and Brynna also married and were very happy living in the Boston area while Marc attended the Berkeley School of Music.

I believe Marc and Brynna’s divorce is final now, while the lovely Lisa’s and my divorce is still pending.

Last edited by Matthew Udall; Oct 7th 2003 at 6:42 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 6:39 pm
Mrtravel

Default Re: How did you meet the love of your life?

doctor scrumpy wrote:

> We met online shortly after Sept 11th, when I was pointing out to
    > various USC in a room that terrorism di not begin on Sept 11th. And that
    > we had been bombed in Warrington by US backed ira scum.

The US has never backed the IRA.

Old Oct 7th 2003, 6:42 pm
Wales is next to England

Gasherjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
My band was playing at a club called, “Nightbreak� on upper Haight Street in San Francisco (this was probably back in 1996), and my roommate at the time (we were just friends) was the female singer in my band (Brynnalee). I told Brynna she should ware a particularly flattering dress to our gig that night. She did.

The shy bass player from Red Hour, another band on the bill that night, took one look at Brynna and asked her out for a date. They started going out and we all became friends. Next thing I knew, Brynna was telling me I had to meet Marc’s sister, Lisa; what a wonderful person she is, and how Brynna thought we would make a terrific couple.

I met the lovely Lisa sometime later. We hit it off, started living together (after dating for a while), and I popped the question to her while on a 3-day cruise during the holiday season. Marc and Brynna also married and were very happy living in the Boston area while Marc attended the Berkeley School of Music.

I believe Marc and Brynna’s divorce is final now, while the lovely Lisa’s and my divorce is still pending.
I can't get over that last sentence Matthew!!! I was reading your story expecting a happy ever after ending and then you finish with that

Cindy and I met online but we weren't looking, certainly not in the chatroom we were in... parenting!

John
Old Oct 7th 2003, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Chessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud ofChessiet has much to be proud of

Poor Matthew (and Bryanna, Marc, and Lisa)

It's obvious that happiness at the beginning of a relationship is no guarantee of lasting happiness, but us silly mortals try as hard as we can to find that one true love whom we want to share the rest of our lives with.

It's wonderful to hear all your stories of overcoming great obstacles to be with your loved ones. And we all know that some of us won't make it, the marriage will fail, the distance will cool the flame, etc... but I'm a true romantic and know that MY love is everlasting, as I hope all of yours are

My fiance and I are getting a Latin phrase engraved into our wedding bands: "Omnia Vincit Amor" (Love Conquers All)
Old Oct 7th 2003, 6:53 pm
Banned

Matthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond reputeMatthew Udall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gasherjohn
I can't get over that last sentence Matthew!!! I was reading your story expecting a happy ever after ending and then you finish with that

John
Tell me about it John. That was the ending I was expecting too, but I'm perfectly OK being single again. I had waited until late in life to get married, and I was very disappointed my marriage came to an end. However it’s been a while now (I found out on 09/13/01) and I’m fine being on my own (I've had a couple of years to adjust :-).

I don’t know if I’ll ever date again, let alone find someone I want to spend the rest of my life with, but I can tell you that I believe I have learned a thing or two from this experience (about myself and what is truly important to me) that hopefully would help me make a better choice next time.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 7:00 pm
Wales is next to England

Gasherjohn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Matthew Udall
Tell me about it John. That was the ending I was expecting too, but I'm perfectly OK being single again. I had waited until late in life to get married, and I was very disappointed my marriage came to an end. However it’s been a while now (I found out on 09/13/01) and I’m fine being on my own (I've had a couple of years to adjust :-).

I don’t know if I’ll ever date again, let alone find someone I want to spend the rest of my life with, but I can tell you that I believe I have learned a thing or two from this experience (about myself and what is truly important to me) that hopefully would help me make a better choice next time.
You don't look like you are in the "late in life" stage from your pic Matthew (although I thought it may have been a pic of Billy Connolly - very funny Scottish comedian) but I know what you mean about wanting to make the right choice.

I have.

John
Old Oct 7th 2003, 7:17 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute
Default love.. WHILE ON J1 AND TOURIST VISA

The very first time me and my now hubby were in the same place.. it was a crazy chat party (April 30, 2002), A friend of mine named Cristina invited me to it.. It was actually an "Easter party".. I didnt know anyone but Cristina but I started talking to people.. they were all nice to me and couldnt believe I was from Spain
I talked to Mark's bestfriend for like an hour or so(I didnt even know it was his bestfriend lol), but never meet him though, (Mark has confessed me he got very trash in that party lol)
The following day my friend Cristina asked me to come over her house because she invited some people to have some beer, I said.. Ok I dont like beer but I'll sure go because I have nothing else to do. I got to my bestfriend's house and there was Mark and his friend Les.. the guy I talked to at the party, he didnt remember talking to me lol.. I guess he was very drunk too. They start saying hey where is the beer?, my friend said.. there is no beer, they were like oh man that sucks...We all started talking about jobs, college, sports,I went to the restrooms so when I got back.. they were cracking jokes about sex (Didnt realice about it.. I am very innocent lol).. and I said.. Oh yeah I do it with 2 fingers LOL(They were talking about typing before I went to the restrooms ).. they were like Oh really??.. They told me.. We arent talking about typing lol.. we are talking about sex.. my face got all red, I didnt talk much to my sweetheart that night.

The day I got to know him it was the day a friend of my friend Cristina invited us to a BBQ (April 7, 2002), I took my friend cristina with her 3 kids (Didnt have no one to watch them lol), mark and his friend Les, I though Mark was a freak at first.. he has 2 phones.. One of them it was his personal one.. and the other cell was the oncall one, he spent most of the night talking on the phone (Annoying clients lol), he didnt get anymore calls after 12pm so he started drinking and playing cards with the people over there.. It was a game about kissing but didnt listen to the rules so cant tell you what was all about.., Mark had to be kissed by the person who was right beside him,this person was a huge ugly guy so he exclaimed.. Maria come here and kiss me on the cheek.. I dont wanna be kissed by this mole lol.. I was like no way (I am a very shy person).. I sat by him and carry my friend's baby because she was all crying.. Mark quit playing and started talking to me about his daughter.. and all the stuff he went thru in his life.. I started looking at him with different eyes.. When I got to know him.. I though he was the cutest guy on earth, he has told me so many times.. that he though I was the sweetest girl ever.. because I was taking care of my friend's baby,and that I looked so cute holding that lil baby lol.. We kept in touch talking online every single night, His b-day was April 8 so he went on a family party and later on got online, (He told me about his b-day a few days ago).. so I sent him a very cool card with this very old and crunchy guy getting down lol

.He called 5 days later (April 19) and asked me to go to the movies with his daughter, I said yeah sure.. I am going to bring Lorin (the lil girl I was taking care), Alexis (WHAT A CUTIE!!!)liked me so much from the very first moment she saw me.. even though she didnt want her dad to have any gf's at all lol.. we watched "Ice Age".. good movie.. , He asked me to go out again on a night date ( April 19th 2002).. he asked me to be his girlfriend.. well he made me ask him.. My face was all red.. and this song by Nsync and Nelly "My girlfriend" was the background sound.. He gave me my first kiss ever, we got married a year and 4 months later.. and since then we have been loving each other as the very FIRST day!!
BUBU AND LEXI I MISS YOU GUYS!!! LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!

Last edited by Hypertweeky; Oct 7th 2003 at 10:12 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2003, 7:18 pm
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Well, despite Mathew's own sad ending I find it great that he is at least trying to make other couples happy by bringing them together by being a marriage immigration lawyer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.