Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Address questions about I-751

Address questions about I-751

Old Jul 10th 2006, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

haozi101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Address questions about I-751

I started living in Indiana this February for a new job and my husband is living in Ohio right now. But we are planning to sell the house in Ohio and he will move to India. My job in Indiana is a contract job and the contract will be expiring next August. After August, we will possibly move to the other state. I haven't filed address change when I moved to Indiana because we were keeping the address in Ohio as a permanent address and all the mails still go to this address until the house is sold. I will need to file I-751 at the end of this November. My questions are:
1. On form I-751, there is a question about whether you live in some other address since you became PR. Should I click on "Yes" and attach my temporary address in Indiana? Again, I didn't file change of address.

2. If before any time when I file I-751, the house in Ohio is sold, then I know I need to file AR-11 and I-865 to change address at that time. But I don't really want to put down my temporary address in Indiana in AR-11, I-865 and I-751 since it is very likely that we will move again next August (Not sure my I-751 can be approved by then or not and even if it is approved, not sure how long it will take actual new GC arrives). Could we put my parents-in-law's address (which is in Ohio) in the AR-11, I-865 and I-751 even though we don't actually live there but just for the purpose of mails only from USCIS?

Thank you very much.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Address questions about I-751

Originally Posted by haozi101
I started living in Indiana this February for a new job and my husband is living in Ohio right now. But we are planning to sell the house in Ohio and he will move to India. My job in Indiana is a contract job and the contract will be expiring next August. After August, we will possibly move to the other state. I haven't filed address change when I moved to Indiana because we were keeping the address in Ohio as a permanent address and all the mails still go to this address until the house is sold. I will need to file I-751 at the end of this November. My questions are:
1. On form I-751, there is a question about whether you live in some other address since you became PR. Should I click on "Yes" and attach my temporary address in Indiana? Again, I didn't file change of address.

2. If before any time when I file I-751, the house in Ohio is sold, then I know I need to file AR-11 and I-865 to change address at that time. But I don't really want to put down my temporary address in Indiana in AR-11, I-865 and I-751 since it is very likely that we will move again next August (Not sure my I-751 can be approved by then or not and even if it is approved, not sure how long it will take actual new GC arrives). Could we put my parents-in-law's address (which is in Ohio) in the AR-11, I-865 and I-751 even though we don't actually live there but just for the purpose of mails only from USCIS?

Thank you very much.
oops, another vj cross-post:

AR-11 does NOT change your mailing address.

Check it out, but I recall that AR-11 has a way to record a temporary move. AR-11 is ONLY for reporting your whereabouts to USCIS.

You can change your mailing address via a new form (I-751) but it does NOT comply with the rule about reporting your address. They go to/happen in two, unrelated places.

You are required to file AR-11, and your Sponsor is required to file I-865. Relevant laws are cited in the links below.

To successfully change your mailing address, from the Dept of Overkill:

-file AR-11 as required by law. This does not change your *mailing* address, but it informs USCIS where you might have been, at one time. Just do it, it's the law
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/address.htm
How Do I Report a Change of Address to the USCIS?
AR-11 does not generally generate a NOA receipt. Send by trackable mail.

-Copy of AR-11 to any LOCAL or district office where you might have a file pending. Include a letter saying: change my mailing address

-copy of AR-11 to any Service Center where you might have a file pending. Include a letter saying: change my mailing address

-Phone call to 1-800 MisInformation line with the request: please change my mailing address

-file I-865 for USC Sponsor as required by law. You *may* get a NOA for this one and it *might* change the Sponsor's mailing address. Or not.

-file Change of Address and Mail Forwarding with the USPS. Your USCIS mail *might* get forwarded to your new addy. Or returned to USCIS, you never know.
Unfortunate side effect: the PO sells your new address to bulk mailers and you are now back on every junk mailing list under the sun.
http://www.obviously.com/junkmail/
Do-it-yourself: Stop junk mail, email and phone calls

30 days later
-Follow up phone call to 1-800 to see if address change is captured.

-Cross fingers and keep an eye on processing times and when you expect to be contacted. Don't let it go for ages and then say 'dude, where's my case?'.©
Old Jul 11th 2006, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

haozi101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Address questions about I-751

[QUOTE=meauxna]oops, another vj cross-post:

"AR-11 does NOT change your mailing address.

Check it out, but I recall that AR-11 has a way to record a temporary move. AR-11 is ONLY for reporting your whereabouts to USCIS."

Thanks for Meauxna's reply.
So I need to file AR-11 only right now since my husband who is my sponsor hasn't change his address yet. I did check AR-11 form and it can actually record a temporary address "(If the above address is temporary) I expect to remain there Years Months".

And by the time my husband moves, we will need to file I-865 to service center. On I-865 form, there are actually two addresses that can be filled in, one is physical home address and the other is mailing address. For my case, since we are very likely to move out of my temporary address into another state next August, we would like to put my temporary address in the home address and my parents-in-law's address as new mailing address by C/O (in care of) my parents-in-law. Is that allowable? Also if I do this way, will the USCIS mail go to my parents-in-law's address instead of ours?

I-751 is similar to I-865 regarding to address. Can I do the same thing? Again, will the approval letter and GC be mailed to my parents-in-law's address.

BTW, if I file AR-11 now and my husband file I-865 later, should that be concerned since USCIS will know that we had a period of time living apart (but we did commute during every weekend) due to job situation? Or should I wait on filing AR-11 until my husband moves too and we will file AR-11 and I-865 at the same time? So in order to make sure about address change, I need to mail original AR-11 to Kentucky by trackable mail, send copy of AR-11 to Cincinnati local office where I had my AOS interview and send another copy of AR-11 to Nebraska Service Center (both Ohio and Indiana belongs to NSC), send original I-865 to NSC by trackable mail and call them again to make sure the address is actually changed. Right?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by haozi101; Jul 11th 2006 at 1:03 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Address questions about I-751

Originally Posted by haozi101
BTW, if I file AR-11 now and my husband file I-865 later, should that be concerned since USCIS will know that we had a period of time living apart (but we did commute during every weekend) due to job situation?
I'd be surprised if USCIS put the two bits of info together! It's an address change - nothing more, nothing less. If you're going to worry, at least worry about stuff that's actually important.

Ian