Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

When I first moved to Canada ...

When I first moved to Canada ...

Old Oct 7th 2011, 3:31 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When I first moved to Canada ...

Originally Posted by JamesM
What does one wear when they run in -25?

Only reason I ask was when I tried I had to turn around after 10 minutes because I was loosing feeling around the pelvis area and was genuinely worried about frost bight.

On raising this question with cradles they simply responded I was mad to consider running outside in such conditions.

I have always preferred running in colder weather.
Its a good question, back when I used to XC ski there was always a fine line between dressing down enough that I didnt sweat to death and being warm enough that if I fell and hurt myself I wouldnt freeze to death. Layers and a backpack was what I came up with. Running in the city the risk of injury is probably not as bad. Still, running in -25 seems a bit extreme to me too.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 3:34 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
29c out west in '96
It was 28 cents A GALLON in 1969 ! My Dodge Monaco rag top was quite thirsty.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:05 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Only reason I ask was when I tried I had to turn around after 10 minutes because I was loosing feeling around the pelvis area and was genuinely worried about frost bight.

On raising this question with cradles they simply responded I was mad to consider running outside in such conditions.

There are thermal tights good for this that you can buy, you wear a couple of shirts and a thermal jacket. Loads of gloves out there too

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRA-MMBTRP.html

I won 2 half marathons in Ontario back in the Winter this year
Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDV has a reputation beyond repute

I ran in Calgary through last winter, well into the minus twenties: Good cold weather running tights, layers on top, decent gloves and hat and a ski mask for the really cold days - and a very long hot shower when you get home.

I ran with another brit, or on my own, none of the locals I knew would run in the winter, they all moved indoors.

The Running Room always seemed to have a good selection of winter running gear.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:39 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
There are thermal tights good for this that you can buy, you wear a couple of shirts and a thermal jacket. Loads of gloves out there too

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageMRA-MMBTRP.html

You run in tights?
Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

bombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of light

....why my OH got funny looks from his staff, when asked if they were nipping out for a quick fag!

and still asking the lotto guy for a "lucky dip" every week....you'd think I'd remember!
Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:46 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
You run in tights?
Not just any...thermal running ones for the winter, short shorts for the spring/summer Hello ladies
Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:51 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

-I thought I would die from Goretex overexposure
-Wondered why none of the women had ever heard of high heels and dresses. Wondered why everyone was wearing jeans.
-Why are there street signs hanging on wires? Why?
-Why are there newspapers in boxes?
-I thought the suburbs were heinously ugly, depressing, car-bound places and I still do.
-What are those boot things? And why are they rated to -50? It's only -10 here.

Now:

I own several pairs of jeans
I still don't own any Goretex
I still refuse to live in a real 'burb. And I still don't like malls
I now know there is a whole clothing culture devoted to snow because of the rest of Canada, but I still don't understand why the stores are selling it in Van. WE need raingear not snowboots. I don't get it?

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Oct 7th 2011 at 4:54 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 4:56 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Not just any...thermal running ones for the winter, short shorts for the spring/summer Hello ladies
I'm picturing Edmund in the first season of Blackadder.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 9:38 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'm picturing Edmund in the first season of Blackadder.
Junk in tights? Wrong wrong wrong.

Good thread Ann.

I saw deer on the front lawn and thought omg how pretty and quaint.

Now I would wish for them to grow bigger horns so - well you kow why

I wondered why the hell the people at the supermarket were packing my groceries and carrying them to the car - i'm not an invalid you know.

Now I think - awesome one less thing for me to do.

Why the hell can't I buy chocolate and cigarettes at the liquor store?

Now I think, why the hell can't I buy chocolate and cigarettes at the liquor store.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 9:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I first arrived here (Toronto) after 5 years in California, I remember thinking, "Ah! This's a bit more civilized"

then I went out to buy some booze...
Old Oct 7th 2011, 9:58 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... I though "**** me, I am going to get fat if I get used to eating portions that big."

I was right.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 10:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Does that count as a whole one?
Old Oct 7th 2011, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Why the hell can't I buy chocolate and cigarettes at the liquor store?

Now I think, why the hell can't I buy chocolate and cigarettes at the liquor store.
I know! Right? (Well, choccie and crisps for me but the principle is the same)

Some great comments and observations - and I have laughed at many - thanks for playing, and keep 'em coming.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 11:53 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Thought seeing a middle-aged man in a full length fur coat with matching fur hat and gloves was the funniest thing ever.
Still do, in fact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.