Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

What you can't get in Canada

What you can't get in Canada

Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

NB Sue has a brilliant futureNB Sue has a brilliant futureNB Sue has a brilliant futureNB Sue has a brilliant futureNB Sue has a brilliant futureNB Sue has a brilliant future
Question What you can't get in Canada

Having read another post about shopping in Canada made me think about food items that are difficult to find over here. To me it makes no difference as I haven't yet found anything that would convince me not to immigrate but is there anything you miss from the UK or where ever else you might have lived that surprises you or makes you smile. Or is there something you get your mother to mail to you on the sly each month?

Here is your chance to confess or give us a laugh.

Keep it clean.....

I miss Taramasalata (try spelling that when you haven't seen any for over a year!)

What do you miss?
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What you can't get in Canada

I know what I am going to miss. Cheese. A great mature cheddar or a ripe stilton.

I have been disappointed with cheeses I have bought on my trips, even though they cost me an arm and a leg!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:36 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Beer. Specifically cask conditioned real ale. It's a constant source of pain

(Although one of the view upsides of living in say, Toronto, would be the ability to access Canadian Real Ale. Alas, out here on the Rock all I have to savour is memories..........)
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:37 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NB Sue
Having read another post about shopping in Canada made me think about food items that are difficult to find over here. To me it makes no difference as I haven't yet found anything that would convince me not to immigrate but is there anything you miss from the UK or where ever else you might have lived that surprises you or makes you smile. Or is there something you get your mother to mail to you on the sly each month?

Here is your chance to confess or give us a laugh.

Keep it clean.....

I miss Taramasalata (try spelling that when you haven't seen any for over a year!)

What do you miss?
Don't know .... but welcome neighbour.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
I know what I am going to miss. Cheese. A great mature cheddar or a ripe stilton.

I have been disappointed with cheeses I have bought on my trips, even though they cost me an arm and a leg!
I agree about the cheddar cheese. Back in England some of the best mature cheddar was Canadian - I reckon they must export it all as even the supposedly "aged" cheddar here does not have a great deal of flavour

On the other hand my OH does not eat loads of cheese now and that helps a lot in keeping the pounds off He was always "snacking" on a lump of cheddar
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:45 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skiboy10
I agree about the cheddar cheese. Back in England some of the best mature cheddar was Canadian - I reckon they must export it all as even the supposedly "aged" cheddar here does not have a great deal of flavour

On the other hand my OH does not eat loads of cheese now and that helps a lot in keeping the pounds off He was always "snacking" on a lump of cheddar
Agreed. Always had Mature CC in England but not here.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:49 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Good fitting bras and olive oil oatcakes.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:50 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Good fitting bras and olive oil oatcakes.
Yeah I found that too
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

NB Sue has a brilliant futureNB Sue has a brilliant futureNB Sue has a brilliant futureNB Sue has a brilliant futureNB Sue has a brilliant futureNB Sue has a brilliant future

I'm with you all on the Cheddar. And what is with that marbled stuff? We like cheese curds from the market and the store. Good squeak!

While we are on the topic, what about Canadian bacon? You know that lovely smokey stuff with the big bit of meat before the crispy tail? Explain where the big fat meaty bit went...... It isn't in my superstore.

Tangan (trying to remember spelling) I live beside Bessborough School are you causeway end or over the bridge?
Old Oct 1st 2007, 6:52 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by NB Sue
I'm with you all on the Cheddar. And what is with that marbled stuff? We like cheese curds from the market and the store. Good squeak!

While we are on the topic, what about Canadian bacon? You know that lovely smokey stuff with the big bit of meat before the crispy tail? Explain where the big fat meaty bit went...... It isn't in my superstore.

Tangan (trying to remember spelling) I live beside Bessborough School are you causeway end or over the bridge?
In the middle up in McAllister.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:27 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

A decent Indian Restaurant that serves a 'proper' Vindaloo is the only thing that I crave.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Fried rice with curry sauce and mushrooms onions and peas!
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:37 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Went to West Ed Mall on Saturday - supposedly Crimbo shopping (last day to post is comming up).

We came home with a Pork Pie from the British Import Shop for my daughter who has been missing them since we got here. Scotch eggs I can make - pork pies NO! She was so excited, she had a quarter with her supper, has taken a quarter for lunch today and will do tomorrow and Wednesday too. Bless. (The Pork Pie was ALL we came home with no pressies for rellies).

As for me after 2.5 years, I have forgotten what I miss No really, I miss being able to go to the supermarket when I don't know what to cook for supper and nothing is defrosted and comming out with a meal of some kind for two.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:42 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Prawn Cocktail crisps...or are we agreed that "All dressed" is basically the same thing?

Pork Pies

Decent Draft Bitter

English style indian food.

I dont really crave the first two..they are just things Ive noticed there is no local alternative for. You can get a fix for beer and curry, its just not hugely convenient where I live.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 1st 2007 at 7:47 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2007, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
English style indian food.
It seems all you can get here is Indian style Indian food.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.